Halloween Costumes Origin Questions.
Hi guys I just joined the group.

So I just read the fish eaters post on the history of Halloween and I had more questions about the origins of costumes.https://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeaf...cvTHIUZZm4

So under the customs section of the article it says "Hallowe'en customs are a mixture of Catholic popular devotions, and French, Irish, and English customs all mixed together. From the French we get the custom of dressing up, which originated during the time of the Black Death when artistic renderings of the dead known as the "Danse Macabre" were popular and meant to convey that death comes to each and every one of us, no matter our station in life. These "Dances of Death" were rendered in paintings and frescoes, typically depicting people from Pope to King to peasant dancing with or being surrounded by skeletons. This genre was also acted out by people who dressed as the dead -- nervously, comedically, to "laugh in the face of death" and for a sense of relief from the nightmarish reality of the plague that felled at least a third -- and possibly up to 60% -- of the people living in Europe. These danse macabre customs were moved to Hallowe'en when the Irish and French began to intermarry in America."

So my questions for you guys are these:

Does anyone know of any more info on the French coming up with the idea of dressing up for Halloween?

I have heard that these dressings up may have appeared in Medieval mystery plays, and Tableau vivant still lives. But I have not encountered any articles that talk about this specifically.

Also who wrote this article? Was it Ms. Tracy Tucciarone? 

Thanks everyone. (:
Tracy, a/k/a Vox Clamantis, the owner of the site and this forum has written about 99% of the articles on the main site. She's been working on it a LONG time.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert
(10-04-2020, 07:18 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Tracy, a/k/a Vox Clamantis, the owner of the site and this forum has written about 99% of the articles on the main site. She's been working on it a LONG time.
LOL good to hear from you Jovan, I did not know you were on this forum. Keep up the great work and thanks for the info. (: 

Should I contact her, if I can't find anyone to help me you think?

I literally signed up just a few minutes ago, so I do not know the best way to respectfully going about doing this, so I figured I would post my question here wait a few days, and then if I don't get any help contact her. (:
(10-04-2020, 07:23 PM)Confessionalist Catholic. Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:18 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Tracy, a/k/a Vox Clamantis, the owner of the site and this forum has written about 99% of the articles on the main site. She's been working on it a LONG time.
LOL good to hear from you Jovan, I did not know you were on this forum. Keep up the great work and thanks for the info. (: 

Should I contact her, if I can't find anyone to help me you think?

I literally signed up just a few minutes ago, so I do not know the best way to respectfully going about doing this, so I figured I would post my question here wait a few days, and then if I don't get any help contact her. (:

I'm sure she'll see your post and if she knows more will let you know.

Oh, and I've been hanging around here for almost 15 years. I think I may be the 'oldest' member except for Vox.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
(10-04-2020, 07:27 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 07:23 PM)Confessionalist Catholic. Wrote:
Well it is always nice to see a friendly face (or in this case screen name) glad you are here. (;

And thanks for the info. (: 

I'm sure she'll see your post and if she knows more will let you know.

Oh, and I've been hanging around here for almost 15 years. I think I may be the 'oldest' member except for Vox.
I don't have any more info than what I have in the article on Hallowe'en, alas. But you can try these Wikipedia pages to track down their sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danse_Macabre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_costume
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Confessionalist Catholic.
See? I told you so! LOL!

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Steven