Sin of Omission
Is it a sin of omission to not confront my so-called Catholic, pro-choice, Biden voting relatives about their misplaced ideologies? My 91-year-old Catholic in name only grandmother constantly shares pro abortion Biden posts on her Facebook page. It grieves me and infuriates me. Am I committing a sin of omission by not calling her out on it? If I confront her about it it will certainly result in a nasty fight, and possibly her never speaking to me again, but I don’t want to get to my judgment day and see my grandmother in hell because I never admonished her.
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!
You seem to know the outcome.  If you can't get through to people there's really no point in saying anything.
I don't know what grammar is and I certainly don't know how it works.  
(10-14-2020, 10:36 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Is it a sin of omission to not confront my so-called Catholic, pro-choice, Biden voting relatives about their misplaced ideologies? My 91-year-old Catholic in name only grandmother constantly shares pro abortion Biden posts on her Facebook page. It grieves me and infuriates me. Am I committing a sin of omission by not calling her out on it? If I confront her about it it will certainly result in a nasty fight, and possibly her never speaking to me again, but I don’t want to get to my judgment day and see my grandmother in hell because I never admonished her.

At 91, she was almost certainly properly catechized during the pre-Vatican II period.  She knows what the Church teaches about abortion.  Even the post-Vatican Church II teaches that abortion is an intrinsic evil and we may not have one, perform one, or support one.  Of course, they've watered down the teaching on how to weigh two morally problematic candidates but it isn't your job to challenge your grandmother on it.  She already has no excuse on Judgment Day.  I'd avoid a direct confrontation with someone unless they were on the fence.  I'd suggest sharing pro-life Catholic memes.  If she chooses to engage you in discussion on that, then so be it.  If not, then you already know she wouldn't have listened if you reached out.  Pray earnestly for her and share the truth by passing along the right memes.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 2 users Like SeekerofChrist's post:
  • ActusFidei313, Augustinian
I find two aspects of this shocking. 1) That a 91 year old woman uses social media. 2) That a 91 year old woman who obviously has had children and grandchildren and is even remotely a Catholic would be explicitly pro-abortion. I always used to think of older generations as intrinsically more traditional and moral, but since Boomers are now getting older, I’m going to have to radically change my thinking.

Most leftists are stubbornly beyond all help and there often is no point in reasoning with them. If anything, I’d have a friendly chat in person, be more inquisitive than declarative, see if you can find a way to gently get through to her. I’m not sure how close you are with her, nor how comfortable you feel being candid about your own views, but family members should be able to agree to disagree: easier said than done in peak-polarization 2020. You don’t have to convince her, just make her reflect for a brief moment.
Trying to convince someone with memes might not be the best idea.  Memes tend to work as inside jokes for a community.  If you're an outsider looking in they often look like they're written by people who are naive and not particularly self aware.  That can harden people's hearts further and make the actual position look stupid.
(10-14-2020, 10:36 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Is it a sin of omission to not confront my so-called Catholic, pro-choice, Biden voting relatives about their misplaced ideologies?

No.

Alternatively, if it is... I'm in BIG trouble.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Augustinian
(10-14-2020, 01:40 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: Trying to convince someone with memes might not be the best idea.  Memes tend to work as inside jokes for a community.  If you're an outsider looking in they often look like they're written by people who are naive and not particularly self aware.  That can harden people's hearts further and make the actual position look stupid.

Well, my only point is that SacraCor714 should share pro-life material on her social media, not send something direct to her radical pro-abortion grandmother.  It can be memes, videos, material she's written, etc.  I don't think the material itself will convince someone of the pro-life position but it can plant seeds.  More importantly, if her grandmother chooses to respond to what she sees SacraCor714 posting, a direct conversation might be feasible.  If she doesn't, at least SacraCor714 is sharing a pro-life message for all to see, including her grandmother, and hopefully some might think more deeply about the issue.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeekerofChrist's post:
  • jovan66102
(10-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 10:36 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Is it a sin of omission to not confront my so-called Catholic, pro-choice, Biden voting relatives about their misplaced ideologies?

No.

Alternatively, if it is... I'm in BIG trouble.

If it is, then I will reactivate my Facebook account right away and start Trad posting.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

"[T]he Church is putting off it's medieval character as the mother of nations, returning again into its primitive condition as a society of members scattered among the peoples and cities of the world." - Cardinal Manning, Present Crisis of the Holy See (1861)

"At the behest of the two-horned beast looking 'like a lamb', but who 'speaks as a dragon' (Apo. 13:11), the partisans of Barabbas are now closing in for the kill by democratizing the Church herself." - Solange Hertz
The second part of this page might help you -- the "Living Your Conversion: The Corporal and Spiritual Acts of Mercy" section: https://www.fisheaters.com/conversionoftheheart.html
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • ActusFidei313
(10-14-2020, 04:04 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 01:40 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: Trying to convince someone with memes might not be the best idea.  Memes tend to work as inside jokes for a community.  If you're an outsider looking in they often look like they're written by people who are naive and not particularly self aware.  That can harden people's hearts further and make the actual position look stupid.

Well, my only point is that SacraCor714 should share pro-life material on her social media, not send something direct to her radical pro-abortion grandmother.  It can be memes, videos, material she's written, etc.  I don't think the material itself will convince someone of the pro-life position but it can plant seeds.  More importantly, if her grandmother chooses to respond to what she sees SacraCor714 posting, a direct conversation might be feasible.  If she doesn't, at least SacraCor714 is sharing a pro-life message for all to see, including her grandmother, and hopefully some might think more deeply about the issue.
It can plant seeds but it can also come off as annoying(in the same way some bumper stickers are annoying) and alienate people away unnecessarily.  In a time when people widely reject metaphysics you're going to have a difficult time making a good argument proving that abortion is always a murderous act.  You have to lure people into the faith first.