Evangelization items?
Hello,
I live in the South in a Low Church Protestant area. I frequently encounter people who know nothing about Catholicism. I would like to give these people something to tie them to the Church. I thought of giving a holy card, or a medal. What do you think is a good thing to give? How do you convey to people who are far-flung from the Church due to the re-paganization of the world, or Protestant error, the truth of the Faith? 
A Green Scapular would also be a possibility. But for a Protestant, the centrality of Mary would be off-putting. 
I met a lady at the playground, who confided to me (and she is not the first to do so), that she left a Protestant cult that had become controlling, with a charismatic leader. I told her about the Faith, and how we have the Real Presence, the Body and Blood of Jesus, and she was freaked out by transubstantiation. Others are put off by the scandals of the Church: "You became Catholic? Most people are leaving the Catholic Church." It is a challenging environment to evangelize in. 
I like to emphasize, if I can get deeply enough into a conversation, the Sacraments. This embodied living with Christ. It seems to me these Protestants do not believe in the Tridentine God so much as they believe in "Scripture."
[-] The following 3 users Like Momarchist's post:
  • HailGilbert, Mourning Dove, Roger Buck
this kind of persons have a problem of pride, what you need to do is learn bible verses by memory and have a debate with them and humiliate them publicly, show them what they do, is the only way to make them come closer to the truth
you will see one of their tactics for example is change subject, so you have to hold them in one subject, and their feelings too, they get mad and yell
I'd suggest the Miraculous Medal. It is called such because of the many miracles of grace associated with it, especially conversions, and high-quality ones (like here at only about 25¢ each) have the prayer on them which is easy to read.

The symbolism can be relatively easily explained, and it's Marian enough to be Catholic, while simply asking Jesus' mother to pray for us. It is hard to argue that is Mary worship. It also lets us explain how Mary and other Saints hear prayers (they learn about them through the Beatific Vision, where God show them our requests for prayer, and they pray to God in Heaven for these requests), hence it is not dishonoring God, because it goes through Him and He has wanted this.

That is the single best thing I think can be given out, but only on the condition that the person will agree to say the prayer on it. Few, except the most staunch Protestants, would refuse, but then they would refuse almost anything.
[-] The following 5 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Credidi Propter, HailGilbert, Ioannes_L, Momarchist, Mourning Dove
(10-15-2020, 02:51 PM)Momarchist Wrote: Hello,
I live in the South in a Low Church Protestant area. I frequently encounter people who know nothing about Catholicism. I would like to give these people something to tie them to the Church. I thought of giving a holy card, or a medal. What do you think is a good thing to give? How do you convey to people who are far-flung from the Church due to the re-paganization of the world, or Protestant error, the truth of the Faith? 
A Green Scapular would also be a possibility. But for a Protestant, the centrality of Mary would be off-putting. 
I met a lady at the playground, who confided to me (and she is not the first to do so), that she left a Protestant cult that had become controlling, with a charismatic leader. I told her about the Faith, and how we have the Real Presence, the Body and Blood of Jesus, and she was freaked out by transubstantiation. Others are put off by the scandals of the Church: "You became Catholic? Most people are leaving the Catholic Church." It is a challenging environment to evangelize in. 
I like to emphasize, if I can get deeply enough into a conversation, the Sacraments. This embodied living with Christ. It seems to me these Protestants do not believe in the Tridentine God so much as they believe in "Scripture."

It's very hard to get through to such people. Sometimes God puts people in our paths who are more ready to receive the Faith. Watch for them. Wear a miraculous medal where people can see it. I've have people strike up conversations with me over my medal sometimes. Ask Our Lord to put people in your path if He sees fit. 

Most importantly I believe Jesus wants us to be an example to the ones who see us daily: close friends and family.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
[-] The following 4 users Like JacafamalaRedux's post:
  • ActusFidei313, HailGilbert, Momarchist, Roger Buck
I’m not sure about giving something away physically, but my husband and I have had a number of evangelization opportunities (either while living in such an area or encountering people from thereabouts) by having symbols of our faith on prominent display either in our home or on our person.

There is also the potential for food to evangelize, and celebrations! We invited people over ostensibly for a “Christmas cookie baking party” that just “happened” to be on St Lucy’s Day. We all made St Lucy Cakes and I got to explain who St Lucy was. I was pretty surprised how interested everyone was in the story, and how everyone seemed to act like they were getting to make and eat a very special pastry. People can’t help themselves—most have a deep desire for tradition.
[-] The following 4 users Like Elle19's post:
  • HailGilbert, jovan66102, Momarchist, Mourning Dove
(10-15-2020, 02:51 PM)Momarchist Wrote: I told her about the Faith, and how we have the Real Presence, the Body and Blood of Jesus, and she was freaked out by transubstantiation. Others are put off by the scandals of the Church: "You became Catholic? Most people are leaving the Catholic Church." It is a challenging environment to evangelize in. 
I like to emphasize, if I can get deeply enough into a conversation, the Sacraments. This embodied living with Christ. I

"Freaked out" by what ALL Christians believed in for 1,500 years . . . 

What you're doing sounds great.
Click to see at Amazon
[Image: 0.png]

See All my Three Books here at Amazon: viewauthor.at/RogerBuck

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RogerBuck
[-] The following 2 users Like Roger Buck's post:
  • HailGilbert, Mourning Dove
As a knight of the Immaculata, I stand with MM and encourage you to use the Miraculous Medal as a tool of evangelization. You could carry some blessed medals with you to distribute whenever you see a good occasion.
From the website of the Militia:
This is our experience in the apostolate
– Because we never know when we will be able to give a medal to somebody, we always carry around some medals and leaflets. Even the leaflets normally fit in a purse.

– In order to succeed it is important how we talk to people. With the following word we have had good experiences:
May I give you a Miraculous Medal (or a Medal of our Lady) as a present? (while showing the medal)

The fear of many people is that they think we want to sell them something, we have commercial intentions. This way we can exclude it from the start.

– To be natural in our expression is important, too. If we intend to provide evidence of the love of Jesus and Mary, people should see it in our friendly charisma.

– If we approach people in this way and fully confident in the powerful help of the Immaculate, we will be surprised how many people react in a positively and benevolently. A lot of people are pleased that somebody would give them a present without any self-interest. Mary, the Queen of hearts, really opens hearts.

– It is normal that we have to overcome ourselves to speak to others. But perhaps we have to fight against human fear so that we are able to speak to a well-known person such as a neighbour or a colleague. Precisely this overcoming of self – if achieved in the right attitude – may be very valuable for souls. This is why it is helpful, too, foster a constant relation with Jesus and Mary by quick prayers in our daily life (for example: Jesus, Mary I love you, save souls!). Especially right before talking with someone it is prudent to say a quick prayer.

– What is the worst reaction we could live to see? It is a decisive “no”, possibly a mocking smile or the answer we already received: “I don’t want anything to do with Her!” (Mary.) The missionaries sometimes accepted even worse risks!

– Where can we distribute the Medal? The vernacular says: „Love is inventive“. It is the same case here. The possibilities are as diverse as daily life itself. We only want to name a few options: family members, friends, relatives, neighbours, colleagues, people suffering from physical or spiritual hardship (sick and poor persons, beggars and so on), passers-by, passengers on public transport, visitors from public churches… etc.

In Graz (Austria) and Mantes la Jolie (France) two groups of apostles have made their first experience by “house-apostolating”. By means of stands it is also quite easy to get in touch with people and to distribute the Medal.

– Because the Medal is blessed, it should always be given personally and with the agreement of the consignee. This way, one can reduce the risk of abuse. The Medal should not, for instance, simply be dropped in somebody’s mailbox.
https://m-i.info/en/concrete-apostolate-2/

You could also carry some holy cards of the Sacred and Immaculate hearts, or some other saint.
But I wouldn't advise you to play the preacher to humiliate them in public as suggested, for this could make them even more agressive towards the Faith, so rather than helping you would be damaging their possible conversion.
Ite ad Ioseph
[-] The following 2 users Like Ioannes_L's post:
  • HailGilbert, Momarchist
Quote:– What is the worst reaction we could live to see? It is a decisive “no”, possibly a mocking smile or the answer we already received: “I don’t want anything to do with Her!” (Mary.) 

Or you could get called a Catholic bigot and get shot in the face.

J/K.

Well, not really; it is possible these days. But evangelize (with prudence) we should.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • HailGilbert
This reminds me of a true story a friend told me.
This subway preacher was preaching and bothering a strong Catholic man, to the point things got rough and mr. preacher had his arm twisted and was forced to shout "long live the pope". So yes, these days anything is possible.
Ite ad Ioseph
(10-15-2020, 06:36 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:  It also lets us explain how Mary and other Saints hear prayers (they learn about them through the Beatific Vision, where God show them our requests for prayer, and they pray to God in Heaven for these requests), hence it is not dishonoring God, because it goes through Him and He has wanted this.

I actually never understood how Mary and the Saints hear prayers before. Thank you! I'm going to get the Miraculous Medals you linked to keep in my purse for future conversations.