Sinning against my father?
(10-16-2020, 08:27 PM)Bombero Wrote: Unless a woman is entering a convent, women are supposed to cleave to her parents until married. Authority then transfers from father to husband. Why do I have to explain this on a trad Catholic web site of all places?

My father is a lapsed Catholic who takes every opportunity to spit on my faith and the Church in general.  Example: he is not religious in the slightest, but a few weeks ago chose to mockingly "bless our meal" with a "Lutheran prayer"...and he made sure to state it was a Lutheran prayer to get a negative reaction out of me for his own amusement.  I fear to think what could happen to me if I obeyed his anti-Catholic authority.  Also, the argument of women as property of father-to-husband strikes me as more puritanical Protestant or Islamic than traditional Catholic.  I'm pro-patriarchy, but not to these extremes.

Needless to say, my father can be very difficult to love, so I understand where you're coming from OP.  I know that honoring our parents is a commandment, but I do agree with Vox that, as an adult, honoring =/= obeying.  As a side note, I am also concerned your field of study may teeter on the Marxist side of things.  Objectively, there are economic arguments to be made in favor of importing cheap labor, but when we factor in ethics and view an economy as more than interchangeable units of human capital, this is more harmful than beneficial.  Flooding an area with foreign laborers willing to work for much less puts downward pressure on wages and working conditions.  At the risk of sounding too jingoist, it often exploits the foreigners, which is just as morally reprehensible as displacing the natives.  In short, it's simply cost-cutting masquerading as benevolence.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mourning Dove's post:
  • austenbosten, jovan66102, The Fairy, VoxClamantis
It sounds like you might be receiving money from your dad under false pretenses. You say you're lying to him and feel bad about it. I don't have enough details to be sure, but I think you have your answer right there.
(10-18-2020, 03:07 AM)jack89 Wrote: It sounds like you might be receiving money from your dad under false pretenses.  You say you're lying to him and feel bad about it.  I don't have enough details to be sure, but I think you have your answer right there.

Yeah, she does say that in her last line in the original post. That got by me when I read it.. If she's lying to her Dad, she has to cut it out. As a grown woman, she doesn't have to obey him or tell him all the details of her life, but lying to him is another matter...
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s