Visiting cemetery
Hello,
I'm just wondering, is it obligatory to visit a cemetery and pray there today on All Souls day, or is this not obligatory, rather recommended? I have difficulty getting around town on my own and that's why I'm wondering. Thanks!
(11-02-2020, 05:53 PM)adoro.te.devote Wrote: Hello,
I'm just wondering, is it obligatory to visit a cemetery and pray there today on All Souls day, or is this not obligatory, rather recommended? I have difficulty getting around town on my own and that's why I'm wondering. Thanks!

Talk to your pastor. I was dispensed from visiting the cemetery for somewhat the same reason. I no longer drive and it's a mile or two outside town.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Wait there's an obligation?
(11-02-2020, 08:15 PM)Gondothlim 2 Wrote: Wait there's an obligation?

To receive the plenary indulgence for the poor souls, that's all.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
Oh okay, phew!

Thanks!
Thanks for the replies!
What if one can't get an indulgence for the poor souls because they can't receive Communion? I am unable to go to Mass due to covid and even if I could get to Mass, the local diocese is only allowing Communion in the hand right now and I don't feel comfortable receiving that way :( so there are obstacles to me receiving a plenary indulgence right now...
(11-02-2020, 09:54 PM)adoro.te.devote Wrote: Thanks for the replies!
What if one can't get an indulgence for the poor souls because they can't receive Communion? I am unable to go to Mass due to covid and even if I could get to Mass, the local diocese is only allowing Communion in the hand right now and I don't feel comfortable receiving that way :( so there are obstacles to me receiving a plenary indulgence right now...

I think it will depend on which Diocese you live in. I don't know that the Apostolic Penitentiary has made a statement, tho' some Bishops have. See here from Fr Z's Blog about Bishop Hying of Madison:

https://wdtprs.com/2020/03/madisondioces...dulgences/

But, there have been special indulgences granted because of the pandemic:

Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary on the granting of special Indulgences to the faithful in the current pandemic, 20.03.2020

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
With the penitentiary’s new decree, those who cannot leave home can still participate in the indulgence, and others can have more time to attend Mass, to receive the sacrament of confession, and to visit the cemetery, while still following local coronavirus measures on crowds, he said.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/...mber-16577
(11-03-2020, 12:22 AM)benedicite Wrote: With the penitentiary’s new decree, those who cannot leave home can still participate in the indulgence, and others can have more time to attend Mass, to receive the sacrament of confession, and to visit the cemetery, while still following local coronavirus measures on crowds, he said.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/...mber-16577

But, unfortunately, as the article points out, the obligation to confess and receive Holy Communion for a plenary indulgence has not been changed.

Quote:A Catholic who wishes to obtain a plenary indulgence must also fulfill the ordinary conditions of an indulgence, which are sacramental confession, reception of the Eucharist, and prayer for the intentions of the pope. Sacramental confession and reception of the Eucharist can occur up to about twenty days before or after the indulgenced act.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
(11-02-2020, 05:53 PM)adoro.te.devote Wrote: Hello,

Hello,

I was going before Covid-19, but unfortunately it is not possible to go now.

Best regards.
Best regards.
Carlton Mathews