Pro-Papal States Saints and Martyrs
(11-03-2020, 10:07 AM)Melkite Wrote: Any church or leader that would put temporal power over the salvation of a soul is not acting in the image of Christ.  I'm not familiar with the story, but if the Pope lifted the excommunication on the king's deathbed, without a renunciation of political differences, then the Pope did the right thing.  If the only moral option makes us look weak, then we must choose and accept looking weak.  If the Pope had chosen to cast a soul into hell for the sake of his temporal image, it would have been a grave moral evil and scandalous to the veracity of the papacy.

Why are you ignoring the souls that could have been saved from the 1860s to the present day if the Papal States still existed? Think of the missionary activities that could be funded by the Holy See via Papal State taxation. Think of how more dioceses and parishes could keep more their own tithes because the Holy See could fund itself via taxation. Think of the millions of Catholics in the Papal States who would have been ruled by an absolute Catholic monarchy. Think of the lack of homosexual civil-unions that are now found in Italy. Think of the lack of abortion (especially taxpayer-funded) that is now found in Italy. What about those souls? A king is unlikely to make it to Heaven anyway, due to his wealth. Why bend over backward for a rich king who refuses to make amends for his wrongs (taking the Papal States from the Pope). Last I checked, absolution requires restitution for some sings. I'm sure stealing land would be one of those sins.

Political "differences"?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pro-Papal States Saints and Martyrs - by Naproxen - 11-03-2020, 04:19 PM