Pro-Papal States Saints and Martyrs
(11-04-2020, 03:09 PM)MaryLover Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 01:36 AM)Naproxen Wrote: Massacring entire towns during war wasn't unusual back then and what proof do you have that it was primarily due to the townspeople's faith? Weren't the Piedmontese soldiers Catholic? And fireworks on Good Friday? That won't cut it.
Massacring civilians isn't something a Catholic does, it wasn't just killing citizens, it was raping women inside churches and shooting women kneeling before crosses and/or saying the Rosary, as you can clearly read from source I provided. And wasn't just fireworks on Good Friday, there are accounts desecrations of churches in Rome and elsewhere at other times; although the accounts I have been able to find so far of these crimes are scant.

The Protestant mercenaries who sacked Rome in 1527 commited most their attrocities fueled by their rage against the Papacy and the Catholic Faith, so in this case you can say this was done in odium fidei, even so I hardly believe there's any case of beatification of any victim of this period. In the specific case you mention, the Italian unification, could these acts be considered in odium fidei, or were they motivated by pure bloodlust? Sure some Piedmontese and Garibaldini were anticlericals, even so...
Ite ad Ioseph

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pro-Papal States Saints and Martyrs - by Ioannes_L - 11-04-2020, 04:21 PM