What do you cook on Fridays?
I don't eat on Fridays.
(11-06-2020, 05:52 PM)Pandora Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 05:37 PM)Mourning Dove Wrote: It's a shame you don't do fish - it's nutritious and tasty.  And tuna is so hearty, it gives the same satisfaction as chicken.

In case you change your mind on fish, I make:

Linguine n' clams
Fettuccine zucchini and tuna
Smoked Salmon and veggie sushi bowls
Tuna cakes and salad

Non-fish Friday staples:

Homemade cheese pizza
Falafel and/or baba ganoush pitas
Black bean jalapeno burger
Vegetarian burrito bowls
Any Indian dish - most are vegetarian sauce-based, so use chickpeas, potatoes or paneer instead of meat
Kicked up ramen with veggies
Cajun beans and rice
Veggies stuffed with cheese and/or beans (zucchini or peppers mainly)

I can almost guarantee with the exception of pizza, they wouldn’t eat most of that.  It’s a shame because fish and seafood is delicious.  Except for mussels.  After the aftermath of my last meal of PEI mussels, I swore them off.  I honestly considered if the restaurant sneakily had another meaning besides “Prince Edward Island,” it was that bad.

Another meatless meal that’s been acceptable lately is omurice, but of course no veal demi or chicken with that.  I can assure  you it’s not super fun to make those one at time.

I love mussles with a white wine, garlic and parsely sauce with ample supplies of bread for dipping!  Sorry to hear the restuarant ruined them for you.  Bad seafood is hard to overcome.

I'm very surprised your family would not eat burrito bowls or even burritos - I suppose that's the litmus test of how picky one is, and your crew sounds like they're at 9 or 10 given that Tex Mex is as widely eaten as chicken fingers.  I would not be able to tolerate a family of picky eaters!  On the bright side, Friday pizza nights aren't the worst thing in the world.
In trying to keep in my tradition of fast and abstinence on Friday, last night I had my only meal for the day: Broiled Salmon and a big salad. Sometimes, I'll go, as I did last Friday, to our Church where the K of C is having a fish and shrimp fry. The whole town comes and they sell a boatload of fish and shrimp!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 2 users Like Zedta's post:
  • jack89, Mourning Dove
(11-06-2020, 05:13 PM)Pandora Wrote: I’m curious what other people cook on Fridays.  There’s only so far macaroni and cheese, eggplant parm, and Spanish omelet will take you.  I have tried making lentil, pea, squash, etc. soups, but then all I hear is “soup again?”  Also fish is a no go, but of course super expensive shrimp and scallops are A-OK.

I also have the wrinkle that while I abstain every Friday, some most all of my family doesn’t, even during lent.  I feel guilty if they say “make me a hamburger” and I do.  If they’re NO they’re just required to do some other penance, whatever that means.  I draw the line at lent, though.  If you don’t like what I made, go get your own food.

PS: I make the dogs eat canned tuna or salmon on Friday because I’m insane.

My children, too, do not like most fish and are semi picky.  I am like you during lent, but all the time: if you don't like what I made, go get your own food.  "Own food" meaning peanut butter sandwiches....

A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Lebanese lentils.  They are SO good and even my semi-picky eaters really like it.

Here it is, if anyone wants to try it:

- rinse 1 pound lentils, cover with 2" water and 1 tsp baking soda, and let sit overnight

- about an hour before eating, put 2 tablespoons butter in a pan on the stove.  
- Halve then slice 2 pounds onions and add to the butter 
- Cook on medium heat until translucent.
- add juice of one orange (about 1/2 cup)
- continue cooking on med-low heat until caramelized (takes about 30 min, about the time the lentils will be done)
- stir occasionally to prevent burning

In the meantime:
- rinse lentils twice, put in instapot and cover with 2" water
- rinse 1/2 cup of rice and add to lentils.  (Any kind of rice can be used.  We are partial to basmati.)
- add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 to 3 crushed garlic cloves
- cover and cook on high for 20 to 30 min

- when cooking is complete, add the carmelized onions and stir well.
- add salt to taste

- can be served alone, but we are partial to serving with salad or steamed veggies (depending upon time of year).

Notes:
- recipe can be doubled and still use a 6 quart instapot
- can use a crockpot.  Begin cooking lentils in the morning and add onions just before serving. 
- adjust water as desired.  Sometimes the lentils come out a bit too thick for our taste so I add a little water when I add the onions.

Hope you enjoy it!
[-] The following 3 users Like Motherof9's post:
  • Elle19, Pandora, The Fairy
Scallops are expensive, but you can get a bag of them at Costco and cut the scallops in half, to stretch them further. This is what we had last night. This sauce is absolutely delicious because you are scraping up all the delicious bits of scallops into flavoring the sauce. Two or three scallops is more than enough per serving. I toss cooked spaghetti in with the sauce and serve with a salad and a slice of homemade bread to soak up any remaining sauce.

Seared Lemon Garlic Butter Scallops

Have Crispy Lemon Garlic Butter Scallops on your table in less than 10 minutes, coated in a deliciously silky lemon garlic butter sauce! Cheaper than going out to a restaurant and just as good as chef made scallops! They are the ultimate treat!

Prep Time
5 mins
Cook Time
5 mins
Total Time
10 mins

Course: DinnerCuisine: Italian Servings: 2 people Calories: 254kcal Author: Karina
Ingredients
* 1 Tablespoons olive oil
* 0.63 pounds (600 grams) scallops
* 1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
* 2-2.5 large garlic cloves, minced (or 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic)
* Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
* 0.13 cup dry white wine or broth
* 1 tablespoons lemon juice
* 0.13 cup chopped parsley
Instructions
* Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until hot and sizzling. Add the scallops in a single layer without over crowding the pan (work in batches if needed). 
Season with salt and pepper to taste and fry for 2-3 minutes on one side (until a golden crust forms underneath), then flip and fry again for 2 minutes until crisp, lightly browned and cooked through (opaque). Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pan, scraping up any browned bits left over from the scallops. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
Pour in wine (or broth) and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes or until wine reduces by about half. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter and lemon juice.
* Remove pan (skillet) from the heat; add the scallops back into the pan to warm through slightly and garnish with parsley. 
Serve over rice, pasta, garlic bread or steamed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini noodles).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ritaguadalupe93's post:
  • Elle19
I just avoid meat, whatever that may look like. I don't really plan Friday meals and am not much of a fan of fish.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
Veggie stir fry,
Veggie faro,
Veggie Frittata or quiche
Veggie fried rice
Sushi,
Fish and chips
Clam or corn chowder
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
[-] The following 2 users Like CaptCrunch73's post:
  • Elle19, jack89
Friday abstinence is an issue to get around when you’re dealing with persons on restricted diets or picky eaters.  I don’t have any children yet, but my husband has been put on a very macronutrient restrictive diet.  

One of my favorite Friday dishes was grilled salmon with mashed potatoes, homemade white sauce or gravy, and a heap of fresh and cooked and pickled vegetables.  I even had a modified Korean tofu bowl with eggs, tofu, rice, and vegetables that I favored...as well as Thai green curry vegetables and rice.  I also would make a minestrone with canned kidney beans, canned garbanzo beans, shredded cabbage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, beef broth and roasted red pepper soup.  Now I can’t have any of those!

So, what we have on Friday is a yogurt porridge, for breakfast: unsweetened Greek yogurt, Amla powder, cricket powder, chia seeds, stevia, and psyllium husks.  On the side I serve apple slices, a sliced banana, 1/8 cup pecans, 1/8 oz. dark chocolate and 8 oz. blueberries with 1/2 tsp. of honey and 1 oz. almonds.

For lunch: Tuna salad made with avocado mayonnaise, onions, finely chopped banana peppers and Parmesan cheese.  On the side I serve raw baby carrots, black olives, orange slices, apple slices, a sliced banana, 1 oz. walnuts, and either cooked green beans, small new peas, peas with kidney beans, or fried unsalted mixed vegetables.

For supper: Canned kippered herring, air-popped popcorn, half a sliced green pepper, 1 oz. walnuts, 8 oz. blueberries with 1/2 tsp. honey and 1 oz. almonds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes yablabo's post:
  • Elle19
I made this for dinner today, it was actually the best frittata I’ve ever made.  Did it stick to the pan?  Of course, but when doesn’t it stick...  I guess the secret really is to make sure everything is 100% cooked before adding the eggs, and then going to the oven in a cold pan.

I used sharp white cheddar instead of Swiss since that was what I had on hand.  It thought it could have used way more goat cheese, maybe even twice the amount.  Also I of course only used black pepper and Kucharek seasoning.  I stopped using Vegeta when I found out it was halal, although in fairness the producer is pretty close to a moslem country.

[-] The following 3 users Like Pandora's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, Jeeter, yablabo
Although we eat a good deal of fish, here's some of our typical non-fish Friday fare:

Fritatta (my wife's is really similar to your video, but she doesn't bake it)
Pan fried spinach patties
Black bean & pumpkin soup
mushroom/lime tacos (shiitakes are awesome for this!)
falafel
cheese tortellini
cheese tortellini and spinach soup
butter baked taters (cut it in half and bake with the cut side face down in butter, then melt cheese over it.  The cut side comes out crispy)
hashbrowns with cheese
veggie pizza (tomato, basil, mozzarella, feta; can also be done on French bread)
vegetarian nacho dip
pierogis

I also recommend grilled catfish, sprinkled with a beef dry rub.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 3 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, Elle19, Mourning Dove