The McCarrick Report
(11-14-2020, 11:30 AM)jack89 Wrote: "...I have serious doubts on whether the Vatican and current hierarchy represent the mystical body of Christ.  The chasm between the institution and the Church militant seems to get greater every day. 

I question my continued support of this institution.  I am an ICKSP parishioner and fool myself into thinking I'm not supporting the downright evil in hierarchy, but I'm guessing they get a piece of my donation somehow..."

This might help put some perspective on our times https://onepeterfive.com/every-250-years...struction/

As Catholics we are called to be obedient and submit to the hierarchy that was instituted by Christ. This is the papacy from St. Peter on down. It is nuanced however, in that we dont give blind obedience to them (as St. Paul showed in Acts), we dont worship them or believe them to be so great they can't have error (as has be done of late with some recent popes). We also do not have accept everything that comes from them. Faith and morals are the exception but even there its nuanced. 

In the long history of the church, the majority of the time we have had evil men running the show. One of the reasons for so many orders is the constant need for reform (the various carmelite orders, franciscan orders etc), the constant correction needed pretty much each generation. We have so few popes and bishops who are saints for a reason. Heck, we have had multiple times in our history when the majority of bishops and even priests either were silent in the face of evil and heresy, or even spread it themselves. Yet the saints of these times, the men and women who we look up to universally from St. Catherine of Sienna to St. Theresa of Avila to St. Phillip Neri, are the ones who held to the faith, held to the hierarchy (not blindly and with complete un filtered obedience, but at the same time never splitting themselves from it mentally or physically), and changed it through their lives and actions.

Monetary support, that is something to talk with your priest about. I have heard of people who contribute specifically to different bills of the parish, ie, noting on their contribution this is for the electric bill, heating etc, as a way to have the money not diverted some to the bishops.

Painful times to be a Catholic, but hold strong to the faith, hold to what God made and trust that He will prevail (He already has) even when it looks impossible, and do what you can in your area to rebuild the faith in whatever way you are called like each of us should, be it by raising a family, spreading the faith to others, correcting errors we see etc.

Long post but hope that helps some.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • jack89
(11-15-2020, 12:02 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: Monetary support, that is something to talk with your priest about. I have heard of people who contribute specifically to different bills of the parish, ie, noting on their contribution this is for the electric bill, heating etc, as a way to have the money not diverted some to the bishops.

Thank you for this info. I have really struggled with my decision to no longer support my weekly collection basket and the DDD. Both in my opinion have money being used for evil things. I have been donating a lot to my local Carmelite Monastery, but I suppose I could try to signify that my donation MUST go to the electric bill. At least I would feel better.
(11-16-2020, 11:25 AM)Chadster Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 12:02 PM)Sword of St. Michael Wrote: Monetary support, that is something to talk with your priest about. I have heard of people who contribute specifically to different bills of the parish, ie, noting on their contribution this is for the electric bill, heating etc, as a way to have the money not diverted some to the bishops.

Thank you for this info. I have really struggled with my decision to no longer support my weekly collection basket and the DDD. Both in my opinion have money being used for evil things. I have been donating a lot to my local Carmelite Monastery, but I suppose I could try to signify that my donation MUST go to the electric bill. At least I would feel better.

I go to an FSSP apostolate and have been donating directly to the attached school (not affiliated with the diocese) or the seminary instead. I will say, I’ve never seen a second collection for anything other than those two organizations.  I think I’m pretty safe in saying the diocese must exact something from the regular weekly collection, though.

A somewhat funny aside: I formally rescinded my family’s membership in our local NO parish, and formally joined the TLM parish.  I still regularly receive “Bishop’s Appeal” letters and pledge cards listing us as parishioners at the NO parish that implore us to “help the parish reach its goal.”