What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials?
I'm thinking a shredder would work just fine as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • Augustinian
(11-15-2020, 08:15 PM)jack89 Wrote: I'm thinking a shredder would work just fine as well.

I'm sure it would, but you'll have to tear the pages out and shred them a few at a time for fear of jamming and damaging the shredder.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(11-15-2020, 09:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 08:15 PM)jack89 Wrote: I'm thinking a shredder would work just fine as well.

I'm sure it would, but you'll have to tear the pages out and shred them a few at a time for fear of jamming and damaging the shredder.

Depends on what you have access to :

Maybe keep it handy in case of TP shortage?
(11-14-2020, 09:26 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I have Protestant Bibles in my house, and other books from when I professed to be “Calvinist”.
How sinful is it that I haven’t yet gotten rid of them?
Additionally, what’s the best way to get rid of them? The garbage?
At one time people I knew (mostly homeless & derelicts) would bring me bibles. I though it was a sweet gesture but once this young women brought me what appeared to be a large old family bible with lots of odd symbols on the leather cover and a picture of Moses on the flyleaf. I thanked her but something about it felt wrong. When I woke up next morning I felt off. I asked the neighbor who knew about such things if it was a Masonic bible and he said yes. I respectfully doubled bagged it and put it in the garbage.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(11-16-2020, 10:54 AM)Blind Horus Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:26 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I have Protestant Bibles in my house, and other books from when I professed to be “Calvinist”.
At one time people I knew (mostly homeless & derelicts) would bring me bibles. I though it was a sweet gesture but once this young women brought me what appeared to be a large old family bible with lots of odd symbols on the leather cover and a picture of Moses on the flyleaf. I thanked her but something about it felt wrong. When I woke up next morning I felt off. I asked the neighbor who knew about such things if it was a Masonic bible and he said yes. I respectfully doubled bagged it and put it in the garbage.

I think some people aren’t even aware of seemingly “innocent” things in their homes.  I once found tarot cards in my basement from who knows whom or when.  I put those in my outside garbage can ASAP.

It’s probably me being weird, but if I forget to write the “ 20 C+M+B xx” over the door on Epiphany, I feel like some bad stuff gets into the house.  I bought a St. Benedict door medal years ago, and while it was blessed by a NO priest, I’m almost entirely sure he didn’t perform any rite of exorcism on it.  I’ve been wishy-washy about hanging it ever since, and to this day it sits in a drawer...
(11-16-2020, 11:48 AM)Pandora Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 10:54 AM)Blind Horus Wrote:

I think some people aren’t even aware of seemingly “innocent” things in their homes.  I once found tarot cards in my basement from who knows whom or when.  I put those in my outside garbage can ASAP.

It’s probably me being weird, but if I forget to write the “ 20 C+M+B xx” over the door on Epiphany, I feel like some bad stuff gets into the house.  I bought a St. Benedict door medal years ago, and while it was blessed by a NO priest, I’m almost entirely sure he didn’t perform any rite of exorcism on it.  I’ve been wishy-washy about hanging it ever since, and to this day it sits in a drawer...
Well the women who gifted me the bible had once before stole a paperback copy of True Devotion to Mary from me and also likely destroyed a crucifix I gave her and on more then one occasion had expressed she thought I was foolish and all these things wouldn't protect me and she in fact was protected by shadowy dark people who followed her around. I think the bible may have been some sort of a amends but I really did not feel comfortable with it in my place. 

I hear she is doing fine now and may be in rehab.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
I made a point of going through and disposing of anything unsavory in my house. Like my collection of Black Metal and Death Metal CDs, books on witchcraft that we still had from my "edgy" years, I even threw out all of my NO materials. It's not good to have that stuff around.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4
(11-14-2020, 09:34 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

From the Catechism of Pope St Pius X:

Quote:32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?

A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

And, given most Parish Priests today, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

It is interesting that he uses the word "forbidden". Is this a reference to some statute of Church law then in effect? I'm not aware of any such prohibition in the new Code of Canon Law so I doubt you are obligated to dispose of them from that perspective. I wonder if this might be a situation in which we have been left to exercise our well-informed conscience on a case-by-case basis. I'm not denying that there are moral principles that might necessitate their disposal, but there are also circumstances in which they might be legitimately retained.
(11-18-2020, 04:52 PM)NemoClericus Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 09:34 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

From the Catechism of Pope St Pius X:

Quote:32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?

A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

And, given most Parish Priests today, I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

It is interesting that he uses the word "forbidden". Is this a reference to some statute of Church law then in effect? I'm not aware of any such prohibition in the new Code of Canon Law so I doubt you are obligated to dispose of them from that perspective. I wonder if this might be a situation in which we have been left to exercise our well-informed conscience on a case-by-case basis. I'm not denying that there are moral principles that might necessitate their disposal, but there are also circumstances in which they might be legitimately retained.

It is a prohibition of the moral law. It was also part of the Index of Forbidden Books. That list included all unapproved translations of Scripture.

While the list was done away with in the 1960s, and so lost it Canonical force, even Pope Benedict XVI said it retained its moral force, and so people could sin by reading or having items on it.

Such materials expose one's faith to danger, and since we are not ever permitted to willfully expose our faith to unreasonable danger, it would be a near occasion of grave sin to keep such materials without very serious cause. So, the prohibition exists because otherwise one would fall into mortal sin.

Historically clerical and academic libraries would be permitted to keep a "Hell" section containing forbidden items which, for a serious cause, could be accessed with permission of the Bishop, Seminary Rector, or Major Superior.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, PilgrimMichelangelo