What’s the proper way to dispose of Protestant materials?
I'd never burn a Protestant bible. Say what you want, but I know God used the Protestants to bring me back to the one true Faith. I donated my old NIV in a book drop. 

I once found a book on witchcraft. It wasn't mine, but it was in our barn and I didn't want it on our property. So I threw it out in the trash. I've also thrown out my brother-in-laws dirty magazines. 

Would you guys also burn books on Greek mythology? St. Paul says the gods of the pagans are all demons. How about great artwork? Sandro Botticelli's Birth of Venus, would you burn it? 

I think you guys need to step back and take a look at whether something is a actually danger to our Catholic Faith. There are levels, that's all I'm saying, and we Catholics aren't living in a hole in the ground.

What about Thanksgiving? Isn't that a holiday that was started by a bunch of Protestants? Will you celebrate Thanksgiving this week?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(11-24-2020, 04:52 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: I'd never burn a Protestant bible. Say what you want, but I know God used the Protestants to bring me back to the one true Faith. I donated my old NIV in a book drop. 

I once found a book on witchcraft. It wasn't mine, but it was in our barn and I didn't want it on our property. So I threw it out in the trash. I've also thrown out my brother-in-laws dirty magazines. 

Would you guys also burn books on Greek mythology? St. Paul says the gods of the pagans are all demons. How about great artwork? Sandro Botticelli's Birth of Venus, would you burn it? 

I think you guys need to step back and take a look at whether something is a actually danger to our Catholic Faith. There are levels, that's all I'm saying, and we Catholics aren't living in a hole in the ground.

When the Church herself has said a Protestant Bible is a danger, and even after the Index was abolished Pope Benedict himself said the Index (which forbade such Bibles) retained it's moral force, that tells me pretty much all I need.

I don't think I have a place to decide that the Church was wrong for so many hundreds of years in saying it was mortally sinful to have or read a Protestant Bible without permission of the local bishop, but somehow now I know better, especially when even the Pope Emeritus agreed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
(11-24-2020, 05:04 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 04:52 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: I'd never burn a Protestant bible. Say what you want, but I know God used the Protestants to bring me back to the one true Faith. I donated my old NIV in a book drop. 

When the Church herself has said a Protestant Bible is a danger, and even after the Index was abolished Pope Benedict himself said the Index (which forbade such Bibles) retained it's moral force, that tells me pretty much all I need.

I don't think I have a place to decide that the Church was wrong for so many hundreds of years in saying it was mortally sinful to have or read a Protestant Bible without permission of the local bishop, but somehow now I know better, especially when even the Pope Emeritus agreed.

So are you saying you know that God didn't use it for my conversion?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

(11-24-2020, 05:14 AM)JacafamalaRedux Wrote: So are you saying you know that God didn't use it for my conversion?

Apparently God is super mad at you, because even though your Bible brought you to Christ you didn't burn it when you became Catholic!  We all know how God loves to turn people away from heaven for not following centuries-old rules that exist on paper but aren't actually enforced by the Church anymore.  Never mind that you were unaware of this requirement until happening to stumble upon a forum thread about it.  "Sorry, Jacafamala,"  St. Peter will say.  "You were thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to the Kingdom.  Now grab your NIV and get outta here!!!!"
I was raised Catholic, but early on I came to the (wrong) conclusion that I'd never be holy enough to gain heaven. It took time (a couple years) with the Protestants before I could gain enough confidence in God. By His grace, bit by bit I could then see Catholicism for what it really is: the one true Church.

These aren't conflicting statements. God can use imperfect tools to bring about our conversion. You weren't a practicing Catholic when you were reading the protestant Bible. You weren't aware of the Index or of the improper translation. Now you are and you know to read a well-regarded Catholic translation of the Bible.

I too read a prot Bible when returning to Christianity and even took the time to finish it even after fully returning to Catholicism. I'll never read it again and will dispose of it one way or another (likely burning as that is a more respectable way to do it) before my kids are old enough to want to ask about why I have prot Bibles. (I'll probably burn my New American Bible while I'm at it. Might as well be a prot translation.)
Ave Christus Rex!
[-] The following 2 users Like Some Guy's post:
  • jovan66102, MagisterMusicae
(11-24-2020, 11:23 AM)Some Guy Wrote: These aren't conflicting statements. God can use imperfect tools to bring about our conversion. You weren't a practicing Catholic when you were reading the protestant Bible. You weren't aware of the Index or of the improper translation. Now you are and you know to read a well-regarded Catholic translation of the Bible.

I too read a prot Bible when returning to Christianity and even took the time to finish it even after fully returning to Catholicism. I'll never read it again and will dispose of it one way or another (likely burning as that is a more respectable way to do it) before my kids are old enough to want to ask about why I have prot Bibles. (I'll probably burn my New American Bible while I'm at it. Might as well be a prot translation.)

At times I still think about all the notes I had in that bible; the references that explain Jesus is Lord, the reality of the Blessed Trinity and so on....I probably couldn't have ever burned it.

I even hate to throw away unblessed images of Our Lord and Lady. It just seems so disrespectful.

(11-24-2020, 07:25 AM)LionHippo Wrote: We all know how God loves to turn people away from heaven for not following centuries-old rules that exist on paper but aren't actually enforced by the Church anymore.

[argumentum ad absurdum]

I know, why don't we just let couples living in adultery receive Communion!!

God understands and certainly St Peter won't tell them, "You were thiiiiis close to heaven except for that little adultery thing and those Communions. Right, take your civil wife and get outta here."

[/argumentum ad absurdum]
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102, Some Guy
Where do you live? Is it warm enough to have an outdoor barbecue or perhaps you have a fire pit? Toss those Prot bibles into the flames and have a Prot-flavored shrimp on the barbie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Julia Augusta's post:
  • jovan66102
I'm actually amazed at the number of people on a Trad forum, that I'm sure do their best to believe everything the Church teaches and to follow the 'old rules' as much as they can, who suddenly make an exception for mutilated, bowdlerised prot Bibles, possession of which violates not only the law of the Church but the Natural Law. It almost sounds like some of them are converts who brought their Sola Scriptura bibliolatry along with them.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe