Is it ever OK to attend a Novus Ordo Mass?
We live fairly remotely. We have a SSPX Mass once a month at a Mission 1 hour away. Our local Catholic Chirch has a very conservative Priest from Nigeria.  Is it ever OK to attend Mass their?
Hello, grenade lobber!
[-] The following 2 users Like Pandora's post:
  • abububba, Dmorgan
(11-25-2020, 06:40 PM)StancyJ Wrote: We live fairly remotely. We have a SSPX Mass once a month at a Mission 1 hour away. Our local Catholic Chirch has a very conservative Priest from Nigeria.  Is it ever OK to attend Mass their?

I would think so. Why wouldn’t it be? Is the priest saying or doing something blatantly sacrilegious or heretical?
[-] The following 2 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • jovan66102, The Fairy
I attend the Ordinary Form every day.  It's very reverently celebrated by a solid and orthodox priest.  In and of itself, the Ordinary Form is a valid and licit rite which you can attend, receive grace through, and receive Holy Communion at.

[Image: 20201117_184931r.jpg]

You can see here a photo I took from the sacristy one day.  That is an Ordinary Form Mass, although only an astute eye would be able to tell.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 5 users Like Steven's post:
  • abububba, Catherine, FultonFan, jovan66102, The Fairy
(11-25-2020, 08:14 PM)Steven Wrote: You can see here a photo I took from the sacristy one day.  That is an Ordinary Form Mass, although only an astute eye would be able to tell.

I'm not seeing a picture, just a big blank space where it should be.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(11-25-2020, 06:40 PM)StancyJ Wrote: We live fairly remotely. We have a SSPX Mass once a month at a Mission 1 hour away. Our local Catholic Chirch has a very conservative Priest from Nigeria.  Is it ever OK to attend Mass their?

I attend to regular NO masses during the week at a parish that is a couple of minutes walk away from my home. Yes the masses are nothing like EF masses and homely is quite 'thin'. Still, I feel the call to go. I attend, when I can, an FSSP parish that is a longer commute (add to the complicated access to mass there due to Covid). But the thing that troubles me with this NO church is that there is no confession time! (I would rather go to confession at an FSSP parish... But still !?)

I used to read both NO and EF daily readings to compare the differences. I almost only read my EF missal now. Maybe that can be a good compromise for your familly. Even if I don't always attend physically EF mass, I know I can follow the readings of the traditional mass or listen to a beautiful sunday High mass online. 

You say you attend SSPX masses, maybe the answer would be different from someone coming from this community.

Do you or your familly notice any difference between the two types of masses?

Why don't you ask your SSPX priest (who has care of your soul) instead of a bunch of random people on an internet forum who are never going to agree on this kind of issue?
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Dmorgan, Ioannes_L, jovan66102, SacraCor714
(11-26-2020, 02:20 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Why don't you ask your SSPX priest (who has care of your soul) instead of a bunch of random people on an internet forum who are never going to agree on this kind of issue?

Because there is a clear answer to this question: Yes, because the Novus Ordo is a valid Mass. Case closed. Those who say otherwise are wrong.
[-] The following 3 users Like NSMSSS's post:
  • LionHippo, Pandora, TruthWhichIsChrist
(11-26-2020, 07:55 AM)NSMSSS Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 02:20 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Why don't you ask your SSPX priest (who has care of your soul) instead of a bunch of random people on an internet forum who are never going to agree on this kind of issue?

Because there is a clear answer to this question: Yes, because the Novus Ordo is a valid Mass.  Case closed.  Those who say otherwise are wrong.

I’ve heard, and I could be 100% incorrect, that the SSPX considers the NO Mass sinful, attending/assisting at a NO Mass a sin, and recommends praying the Rosary instead of going to a NO Mass.  it goes without saying they do not believe it fulfills one’s Sunday obligation.

Take it for what it’s worth, but this is one of the reasons I personally consider them to be a schismatic group.

http://archives.sspx.org/Catholic_FAQs/c...dnovusordo

If you have the good fortune of having an FSSP apostolate or ICKSP parish near to you, I’d recommend discussing your concerns with one of their priests, since the SSPX priest likely already has his “official” answer at the ready.

PS: The FSSP and ICKSP priests will tell you the NO Mass is valid.  Because it is.  It being offered reverently, or not, is a separate from its validity.
(11-26-2020, 09:37 AM)Pandora Wrote: I’ve heard, and I could be 100% incorrect, that the SSPX considers the NO Mass sinful, attending/assisting at a NO Mass a sin, and recommends praying the Rosary instead of going to a NO Mass.  it goes without saying they do not believe it fulfills one’s Sunday obligation.

Take it for what it’s worth, but this is one of the reasons I personally consider them to be a schismatic group.

http://archives.sspx.org/Catholic_FAQs/c...dnovusordo

It's so silly how they perceive the NO as "sinful" and yet they are so cozy with Francis.

Quote:If you have the good fortune of having an FSSP apostolate or ICKSP parish near to you, I’d recommend discussing your concerns with one of their priests, since the SSPX priest likely already has his “official” answer at the ready.

PS: The FSSP and ICKSP priests will tell you the NO Mass is valid.  Because it is.  It being offered reverently, or not, is a separate from its validity.

That's because those Fraternities were established after the Econe consecrations and Rome became worried that SSPX would pull too many away from the NO.  Remember before 1988 you pretty much couldn't find a TLM anywhere.  FSSP and ICKSP may have good priests (just like the sedevacantist CMRI) but the reasons for their establishment are suspect.  FSSP and ICKSP wouldn't have existed had it not been for the FSSPX and Archbishop Lefevbre.