Is it ever OK to attend a Novus Ordo Mass?
(11-27-2020, 06:32 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: The SSPX has made plenty of missteps, but I don't think they can realistically be seen as not making a good faith attempt to normalize their situation. The problem has always been that the Holy See demands more of them than they do of other Catholics, such as professing that Vatican II is without any error and fully orthodox (which even diocesan priests are not demanded to accept).

But that's just it.  The Council is without error and fully orthodox (in so far as one can look at the vagueness of the documents and say, "Well, you're not wrong").  It is a whole host of scandalous actions that have been done in the name of the Council that are erroneous and unorthodox.  The Holy See should clean this up.  Fifty plus years on they haven't, but it doesn't change that the Council stands.  The SSPX appear to expect a recantation, but it will never happen; and because the Holy See doesn't suppress them and allows them to continue, even further relaxing things for them by an increasing granting of faculties, do they have any reason to turn around and say, "Well, we were wrong, so yes, we'll accept the Council"?  Not really.  They continue to flourish despite their situation.

(11-27-2020, 06:32 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Given you are also, obviously not one of the SSPX faithful, so likely not one of their faithful or members who has any insight into the clear inner workings, I think it a bit prideful that you would think it possible to judge what their superiors want, as if you knew their minds.

I only go based on what I have heard from those who have a far better knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the SSPX and what they have relayed to me.  The other thing is this: Many within the SSPX don't accept the NO when it is a valid Mass.  This is another thing on which they would have to make an about-face if they wanted canonical regularity.  There are those who would certainly defect from them if this were to happen.  Such people might drift to schismatic groups such as the SSPV as a result.  They wouldn't want that (and not even because of the loss of financial support that could go with it).  It could hardly be considered scandal to accept the truth, but there are those would be scandalized by such a stark change in position.  How do you handle this?
[-] The following 1 user Likes NSMSSS's post:
  • LionHippo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it everOK to attend a Novus Ordo Mass? - by NSMSSS - 11-28-2020, 11:49 AM