Sic transit gloria mundi
In this post I want to tell a personal experience but valuable for everyone to learn. I have said before im from the Republic of Argentina,and yesterday the soccer player maradona died.He had a mansion in dubai many km long/wide, a collection of sports cars. The president decreed 3 days of mourning and he was given almost a state funeral.
but where is he now? If someone so rich can die,is it worh it being rich to begin with?
this event has made me more mild and grounded,less prone to power fantasies or unreasonable goals and not lofty aspirations. I really used to want to be so rich arab princes are my friends,but would I do that if i die at 60?

Bonus comment:he had a drug addiction. Without he would have been an almost superhuman soccer player. He was one of the best ever,but imagine if he hadnt done coke for literally  before each game.
(11-26-2020, 05:08 PM)xsantiagox Wrote: In this post, I want to tell a personal experience but valuable for everyone to learn.

I have said before I'm from the Republic of Argentina, and yesterday the soccer player Maradona died. He had a mansion in Dubai many km long/wide, a collection of sports cars. The president decreed 3 days of mourning and he was given almost a state funeral.

But where is he now? If someone so rich can die, is it worth it being rich to begin with?

This event has made me more mild and grounded, less prone to power fantasies or unreasonable goals and not lofty aspirations. I really used to want to be so rich Arab princes are my friends, but would I do that if i die at 60?

Bonus comment:he had a drug addiction. Without it, he would have been an almost superhuman soccer player. He was one of the best ever, but imagine if he hadn't done coke for literally before each game.

Santiago, that brings up a historical American example that backs up your question: If someone so rich can die, is it worth it being rich to begin with?

The person I speak of was William Randolph Hearst. He came from a rich family, his father investing in mines. He was the foundation of the Hearst publishing empire and also got interested in the early years of film making. He also ran for the American Presidency and lost (Deo gratias!).

He was VERY well known as the inspiration for the Orson Welles film Citizen Kane, one of the all-time classics of world cinema. Both Hearst and Welles clashed like giants over the film, it's background in Hearst's life and attitudes.

Hearst built -- but never finished -- a castle on a ranch inherited from his father in San Simeon, California. It was filled with art treasures from all over the world. He had other properties in different countries. Although he was married, he also had a mistress like so many others of the so-called "elite". He died in 1951 at the age of 88.

All that wealth, all that power, all that influence over people and world events. None of that would stop him meeting Jesus on his personal Judgment Day and answer for all he did, said and thought.

Forgive me for even using it, but here is the Wikipedia link to this infamous man:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Randolph_Hearst

Now that I think about it, remember the Parable of Dives and Lazarus in the Gospels. Dives was the rich man who wound up in Hell and saw Lazarus in Abraham's Bosom, where the souls of the just resided before Christ's saving death opened the gates of Heaven to them and us. The riches of Dives did him no favors. He didn't even think of poor Lazarus. Look where it got him.

I'll state the obvious -- being rich won't get you anything unless it is used for God's Glory and to save your soul and those you encounter in life. Read the lives of those Saints, Blesseds and Venerables who gave away their wealth for the poor and helpless of the Lord. From the days of the first Imperial Roman persecutions to now, so many of them did this. That's a nearly 2,000 year track record of good examples there.

Learn from those holy men and women and take it from there. God strengthen you through Our Lady of the Rosary and Saint Joseph the Worker.
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton
May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes benedicite's post:
  • Steven