Catholic Answers Forums shutting down permanently
(03-04-2021, 04:28 AM)MacPasquale Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 04:13 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: You mean like the 'Tradinistas' (Marxist 'trads') I mentioned recently?
Yes.  I'm still surprised they exist.

I don't think they understand Catholicism or Marxism.

I agree, and I know one personally IRL!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten, MacPasquale, XavierSem
(03-04-2021, 03:35 AM)MacPasquale Wrote: It honestly seems like there are YouTube personalities who prey on the traditionalist movement by taking on a Trad aesthetic in order to pull people completely into the MAGA movement(which would seem kinda pointless since Trump would get the Trad vote anyway).  Some of these YouTube guys seem to give the figure of Donald Trump religious significance, almost as if he's some kinda messianic figure. 

I can't speak for these people with certainty, but I imagine some of them might have a higher purpose in mind.

Most Republicans are protestants who already agree with us on most moral issues (save divorce and contraception). The odds of converting them might be higher than the odds of converting a "seamless garment" type.
[-] The following 2 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • austenbosten, SeekerofChrist
(03-04-2021, 03:35 AM)MacPasquale Wrote: To Paul,

Sorry if this the wrong thread for this, and it may be neither here nor there.

I have to admit I've read too much into what some people have posted with regards to Trump.  I feel like a jerk for that. 

I voted for him because I had no choice, but I despise the MAGA movement(or at least certain parts of it).  

It honestly seems like there are YouTube personalities who prey on the traditionalist movement by taking on a Trad aesthetic in order to pull people completely into the MAGA movement(which would seem kinda pointless since Trump would get the Trad vote anyway).  Some of these YouTube guys seem to give the figure of Donald Trump religious significance, almost as if he's some kinda messianic figure. 

I'm just really put off with those two things mingling together(not that communism being mixed with Catholicism wouldn't be more off putting.

I just used Trump as one example, since that thread was a recent one. The one on Vatican II is another. I don't watch much political stuff on YouTube, so I haven't seen those videos, but I'm sure there are people like that. But those views aren't what I've seen on this forum, and I've been reading and posting here for years. Yet people who have been here a few weeks think this forum is full of types like those YouTube personalities, when there's actually very little, if any, of that, and start insulting long-time posters. There's good and bad in the MAGA movement, like almost anything, and far too often, discussion, especially political discussion, ignores nuances, and lumps everyone on one side or the other together. 'You're stupid.' 'Well, you're evil', when the truth, and reasons for holding some opinion, are much more complicated. That's even easier to do anonymously on the Internet, where all you have is text.

If you've been here a while and contributed to the discussion, and people know you agree on the basics of the faith, particularly from a traditional perspective, then disagreeing on some things is fine. But to come across as some sort of liberal Catholic from the start and disagree with pretty much everyone else smells of trolling, or at least not being here with a good-faith desire to discuss and learn. Even more so when it concerns the Church and moral issues. We can disagree on which crimes it should apply to, but the Church has said the death penalty is moral. Even St John Paul II said so. Coming along and saying it's never okay even in theory is pretty close to heresy, and that you probably hold the opinion that the past few Popes were good Popes. And we know what most people here think about that - and how the views of most long-time posters here would have been treated over at CAF. Heck, there have been whole threads here about experiences of being banned from there.
[-] The following 4 users Like Paul's post:
  • austenbosten, jovan66102, MacPasquale, SacraCor714
(03-04-2021, 09:57 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: I can't speak for these people with certainty, but I imagine some of them might have a higher purpose in mind.

Most Republicans are protestants who already agree with us on most moral issues (save divorce and contraception).  The odds of converting them might be higher than the odds of converting a "seamless garment" type.
I think that's probably true for some channels.  I think Taylor Marshall would fit in this category.
No great loss
 "Take shelter under our Lady's mantle, and do not fear. She will give you all you need. She is very rich, and besides is so very generous with her children. So take advantage without fear and with complete confidence, whenever you need anything. She loves giving." 
- St. Raphaela Mary
[-] The following 2 users Like Ad Jesum Per Mariam's post:
  • austenbosten, SeekerofChrist