In your opinion, is this marriage valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church?
(11-30-2020, 10:09 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 06:37 PM)KurutzeMaitea Wrote: In my opinion, the marriage is, prima facie, VALID.

Your qualifications to make said judgement?

I've studied Canon Law and moral theology at a graduate level, and even then do not consider myself capable of giving an reliable opinion here, which is why before replying I asked a traditionalist priest.

(11-30-2020, 06:37 PM)KurutzeMaitea Well I do not have your high studies on canon law and moral theology allowing me to make any ex cathedra statement; I am just giving my opinion considering that this is what our friend asked for. I am not passing a formal judgement. That\s what I clarify at the end of my post. God bless you. Wrote: The fact that the husband lied about being a virgin does not mean that he was not essentially who he claimed to be when he got married.

Fr Halligan (and other canonists) agree, so long as virginity was not a sine qua non condition. If she truly meant, "I will only consent to marry a virgin," and conditioned here consent on this, and he lied about his virginity, then it is an error of person.

That makes sense with other contracts. If I said casually to a dealer I don't want a diesel car, he showed me a few cars, but then one he showed me was actually a diesel and I did not realize it, and decided it was the best one and bought it, it would be a valid contract.

If I wrote in the sales contract, "I agree to purchase a car only if it is not a diesel" then the contract would be invalid if the dealer sold me a diesel car.

So the question is not about sin, but about the conditions she put on the contract, and whether she was intending to refuse consent if he was not a virgin. That would invalidate according to the priest I spoke to and the manual he pointed me towards.

(11-30-2020, 06:37 PM)KurutzeMaitea It is highly debatable if the virginity of the bride/groom is a condition to be validly included in a marriage contract, rendering it null if not met. A person which has lost his/her virginity is perfectly capable of assuming all the ends and obligations of marriage. What if someone expresses his/her desire to marry "only if he/she has never sinned against glutony"? This as opposed to the diesel versus non diesel car, which refers to the actual and present nature of the matter acquired with the contract. God bless you again. Wrote: To claim that a man or a woman are forever unworthy of marriage because they have previously lost their virginity is just as absurd as to say that, because they have sinned, they are not able to recover the grace.

Yeah ... no one said this.

(11-30-2020, 06:37 PM)KurutzeMaitea Wrote: In any case, I am nobody to pass a judgement of a particular case, which should be submitted to the competent ecclesiastical court and advised by a good priest.

And yet the very opening line of your post was exactly that passing of judgement.

Messages In This Thread
RE: In your opinion, is this marriage valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church? - by KurutzeMaitea - 12-01-2020, 11:40 AM