Catholic Attitudes Towards Alcohol
The Italians drink wine with every meal but breakfast. But they also think it's excessive if you drink beer and then wine or red wine and then white wine.

If I have spare beer, I typically drink one every evening till their gone, but I also don't buy alcohol just to have it. I almost exclusively buy for social events.
Ave Christus Rex!
(12-01-2020, 11:09 PM)Pandora Wrote: there are health benefits when alcohol is consumed in moderation, specifically to the risk of heart disease and possibly even strokes and diabetes.

It is very interesting (and thus when it's brought up in context of cannabis use, always funny to note that) moderate alcohol consumption by healthy people has health benefits.

Abuse of alcohol tends to cause harm in the exact same domain that moderate consumption causes benefit. For instance, heart disease risk is reduced with moderate drinking, but increase with binge drinking.

As for other "drugs" like marijuana, they cause no benefit to healthy people. They do seem to cause some benefit to some sick people, and thus treat a disease or its symptoms, which is the classic definition of a "drug" or "medicine". These "drugs" cause harm without benefit in healthy people.

No one has some friends over for a dinner or celebration and breaks out shots of Robitussin.

(12-01-2020, 11:09 PM)Pandora Wrote: I'm surprised you didn't bring up the wine consecrated during the Mass... too easy?

Well ... it's not really wine anymore ...

And, yeah. Too easy, and easy to object that this is just for religious reasons and in very small quantities, etc.
Ha.  Who wants to throw out a grenade post: Can you become drunk from consecrated wine?

When I was in college, one of the priest professors told me a lot more priests than one might expect were actually consecrating grape must, which is just barely wine, instead of “normal” sacramental wine.  He said they had become alcoholics from offering a number of Masses every day for years.  For the sake of being charitable, we’ll let that lie there.

I believe I’ve had the Precious Blood 3 or 4 times in my life.  The latest occurrence was when there was a strange Greek priest (not Byzantine) at the NO parish I attended.  I got up to the front of the Divine Chow Line and there he was with an intinction set, dipping with reckless abandon.  Well, I’m not a drinker and I only lived a block and a half away, but I had serious doubts about my ability to walk home.  Needless to say, I was not focused on the Lord as I should have been that day.  PS: He was “relocated” 2 weeks later.

As an aside, is there ever a time when someone other than the priest would receive the Precious Blood at a TLM (or outside of it, too, I guess)?
(12-02-2020, 08:28 AM)Some Guy Wrote: The Italians drink wine with every meal but breakfast. But they also think it's excessive if you drink beer and then wine or red wine and then white wine.

If I have spare beer, I typically drink one every evening till their gone, but I also don't buy alcohol just to have it. I almost exclusively buy for social events.

Italians also mix water with the wine they drink.
[-] The following 1 user Likes benedicite's post:
  • Some Guy
(12-03-2020, 05:36 AM)Pandora Wrote: I got up to the front of the Divine Chow Line and there he was with an intinction set, dipping with reckless abandon.  Well, I’m not a drinker and I only lived a block and a half away, but I had serious doubts about my ability to walk home.  Needless to say, I was not focused on the Lord as I should have been that day.  PS: He was “relocated” 2 weeks later.

I'm curious how he was intincting the Host. As an Anglican, I received hundreds of times by intinction, alcoholic wine and hosts often bought from Catholic sources. Never once did I ever receive enough wine to in any way affect me, even before I was old enough to drink legally.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe