Questions re: A Home Altar
As SeekerofChrist mentioned, having your home shrine in a more communal room of the house can be more convenient for married couple with children - we certainly think so! It is also convenient if you have Catholic friends over and you want to pray a rosary or vespers together.

To give an example of items one might find on/around a home shrine, we have in our home "office":

- A book case with Bibles, writings of the saints, theology books, missals, Catholic reference books, etc. Our shrine is laid out on top of this.
- A rustic lace table runner on top the book case.
- Our Douay-Rheims family Bible in center on top.
- To one side, mementos of deceased family members and friends we pray for.
- Free standing images of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and the Sacred Heart and an icon of St. Michael.
- A large statue of Our Lady of Grace
- Candles, a vigil lamp, blessed salt, holy water, rosaries, and other sacramentals.
- Flowers from my garden during the warmer part of the year.
- Icons on the wall above the home shrine, with icons of Christ at the top, followed by Our Lady and icons of Biblical scenes, followed by icons of saints of our devotions.

So... it is a bit crowded, but yours can be as simple or elaborate as you like. As alluded to, we pray more formal prayers here, but sometimes prayer is just bringing my toddler son to say a simple good morning to Jesus or say a few Aves. We keep kid friendly rosaries and books on the bottom of the bookshelf to encourage my son to spend time there.
(12-02-2020, 12:20 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 09:25 PM)Coti Tog Wrote:
  1. 5. I also assume that the bedroom would not be the best room in which to place my altar, as much that is private and/or undiginified goes on in there? 

If you are married and not committing sexual sins, then what is undignified about what goes on in there?

It is not pious to call undignified what is a part of God's created order, and what he designed as an objective good.

ETA: Reading the rest of the thread, it seems that wasn't your primary concern.  I'm leaving the comment for other readers who may have had the same impression as I did.  It is not good for inquirers to begin to think Catholicism has the same erroneous teachings on human sexuality as many Protestants do.

Thanks for your input, Melkite. I do know and vastly appreciate the Catholic understanding of rightly-ordered human sexuality. I do still, feel self-conscious about even non-sinful sexuality while before a direct reminder of the gaze of Christ and a cloud of witnesses (though of course I realize that we are visible at all times).
Thanks again to everyone for their input. None of the Catholics I grew up around had home altars/shrines anywhere that I could see them, so I am still learning and am happy to know that we have such freedom for the domestic church.
The used altar crucifix I ordered is 16" tall, and I'm happy that it will have a place of preeminence on my own shrine.
I am finding it difficult, however, to locate larger (around 12") statues to order online. I am pretty picky when it comes to statues, though, so that may be my fault.

Also, as an aside - judging by this thread, it may seem to be the case that material objects are my primary concern. I assure you that's not the case. I am asking about my home shrine here while also working out the more important things by myself and with others (both corporeal and incorporeal).
(12-03-2020, 06:55 PM)Coti Tog Wrote: I am finding it difficult, however, to locate larger (around 12") statues to order online. I am pretty picky when it comes to statues, though, so that may be my fault.

Have you tried looking on Etsy?  I've found some great Catholic stuff on there.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
I have a shrine by acçident. First, we had a 3 1/2 foot crucifix over the bed  ( it cane as a wedding gift from little italy)  and we got a newbed . So Jesus, very realistic looking i might add was placed over husbands chest of drawers.

Its a tradition  in my family to get a saint statue in the floral bouquet at a funeral.. They are about 15 or so inches  we have st. Anthony and Jesus Sacred heart statue. 

Then the Ladies at church gave me a Mystical Rose statue. She stands at the fòot of the cross

Just recently my husband knew i love Teresa of Avila and otdered her statue for quiet orayer.  But...the factory messed up and sent The Little Flower. I prefer to say She picked me!   Around her neck were wooden rosaries of St. Teresa of Avila and a 3rd relic.the Little Flower is 15 ".

I also have a large purple cloth to cover all during lent.

Praying for all, always,
Your Sister in Christ
AnaCarolina
Hail Mary
Full of grace
The Lord is with Thee
Blessed art Thou amounst women
And blessed is the fruit of Thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of death
Amen
(12-03-2020, 06:55 PM)Coti Tog Wrote: Thanks again to everyone for their input. None of the Catholics I grew up around had home altars/shrines anywhere that I could see them, so I am still learning and am happy to know that we have such freedom for the domestic church.
The used altar crucifix I ordered is 16" tall, and I'm happy that it will have a place of preeminence on my own shrine.
I am finding it difficult, however, to locate larger (around 12") statues to order online. I am pretty picky when it comes to statues, though, so that may be my fault.

Also, as an aside - judging by this thread, it may seem to be the case that material objects are my primary concern. I assure you that's not the case. I am asking about my home shrine here while also working out the more important things by myself and with others (both corporeal and incorporeal).
Anything that helps prayer life in Christ is good. We are not talking of things, we are talking of sacramentals. I feel loved when i kiss our Lirds feet at bed. I feel Marys comfort from her statue-prayer-penance-purity when i say the rosary.

And i feel picked by a saint!!! She sees me as my day goes by. 
I wish i had more time to contemplate. But now its little things.
Hail Mary
Full of grace
The Lord is with Thee
Blessed art Thou amounst women
And blessed is the fruit of Thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of death
Amen