smart drug use acceptable?
(12-02-2020, 01:13 PM)confusedwalrus23 Wrote: for what it's worth, i'm not considering taking the drugs mentioned above.  Also, to my mind though, the question arises, "what IS a drug"?  How is caffeine for instance different from a smart drug?

On the part about goethe and nietzsche, using alcohol all the time would have detrimental affects, but i'm talking about using these drugs in moderation in a non-harmful way.

I'll admit though that POSSIBLY having an unfair advantage over other students gives me hesitance to go forward, and I'll also admit that If I DIDN"T use them, I wouldn't want others to, but again, back to my criteria, if they're harmless, they're legal, and they don't affect reasoning ability, wouldn't it then be permissible?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I really appreciate it.

I think you’ll have no trouble finding scholarship saying both caffeine and alcohol are drugs, but I don’t think the semantics are the essence of your question.  A person who decides to eat oily fish and walnuts is different from the person who decides to chug eight 5-hour energy shots every day or the person who takes Adderall to “focus” for an exam. Nootropics were designed for people with legitimate medical conditions.  The body becomes chemically dependent upon them so it can function normally.  In a person who doesn’t medically need these substances, we’d commonly call this drug addiction.

The point of that particular “German Philosopher Name TBD” proof is to weed out arguments for items or events that we prefer, but aren’t necessarily good.  That is the “everyone, all the time” condition.

For example, some people would say it’s permissible to lie occasionally.  Well, we know what would happen if we all lied all the time, therefore we shouldn’t lie at all.   Further, just because others may lie doesn’t mean lying is permissible.

The best physical things to do to ensure you perform at the highest level are to get adequate sleep, eat a nutritious diet, and pour all of your efforts into your studies.  If after that you’re still not hitting the mark, there’s no shame in your best not being good enough.  If that is a legitimate concern, I heartily encourage you to have a (tough) discussion with your academic advisor ASAP.

Messages In This Thread
smart drug use acceptable? - by confusedwalrus23 - 12-02-2020, 11:27 AM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by Chadster - 12-02-2020, 11:58 AM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by Pandora - 12-02-2020, 12:02 PM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by FultonFan - 12-02-2020, 12:23 PM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by Pandora - 12-02-2020, 01:06 PM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by Pandora - 12-02-2020, 02:00 PM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by CaptCrunch73 - 12-02-2020, 02:54 PM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by VoxClamantis - 12-03-2020, 07:07 AM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by Pandora - 12-03-2020, 11:18 AM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by jack89 - 12-03-2020, 08:01 AM
RE: smart drug use acceptable? - by VoxClamantis - 12-03-2020, 03:54 PM