Which Catholic Bible?
Hi,

Apologies in advance for my ignorance. 

I know if I want to be traditional the best Bible to get is the Vulgate. However, I'm looking for an English Bible so that I can actually read it - though I do plan to get the Vulgate for more in depth Bible study - but was wondering whether there have been changes since Vatican II. Of course I already have several Bibles, but they're not Catholic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matthew7-7's post:
  • Ruth Catherine
The Douai-Rheims is the go to 'Trad Bible'. I also like Msgr Knox's translation. I would avoid post-VII editions, not so much because of the translations, but because of questionable notes and commentary.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 6 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert, jack89, Matthew7-7, Ruth Catherine, SeekerofChrist, Zedta
I have both DR and Knox's translation.  They're both great and I usually read Knox's.  It is in more modern English, while still retaining a great deal of beauty.  I also have a copy of two post-VII Bibles, the New Living Translation - Catholic Edition and the English Standard Version - Catholic Edition.  The notes are not, as far as I can tell, horrendous modernist or liberal spins on Scripture.  I'd feel comfortable recommending either for private Scripture reading.  The New American Bible isn't a bad translation, as far as I can tell, but the footnotes really are very liberal and slanted heavily in favor of using textual criticism to "reinterpret" traditional Catholic readings of the Bible.  That's too bad.  I also hear good things about the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition.  I have a copy, somewhere in my house.  I haven't studied it in depth.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeekerofChrist's post:
  • Matthew7-7
(12-03-2020, 06:56 PM)Matthew7-7 Wrote: Hi,

Apologies in advance for my ignorance. 

I know if I want to be traditional the best Bible to get is the Vulgate. However, I'm looking for an English Bible so that I can actually read it - though I do plan to get the Vulgate for more in depth Bible study - but was wondering whether there have been changes since Vatican II. Of course I already have several Bibles, but they're not Catholic.

This edition has both the Vulgate and the Douay. It's pricey, though: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/...lfboutique
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Matthew7-7
All translations have their strengths and weaknesses. While I do like the Douay-Rheims for reading aloud or some spiritual reading, I prefer the RSV2CE. I will admit, I think the D-R could be updated with some spelling changes that do not affect the text, such as Noe->Noah or Josue->Joshua, along with many place names; but that is just a minor quibble. For me, it can make the reading unnatural or clunky. Also, unless you have the Haydock edition of the D-R, the footnotes in most D-R Bibles are very sparse.

I prefer the RSV2CE Ignatius Study Bible editions, which all assert historical dating and authorship of the Bible, but give a balanced viewpoint against common, modern skepticism. The footnotes are very thorough, citing from the Catechism, Popes, Councils, Saints, etc.

One thing is certain: the NAB footnotes should not be consulted by anyone. Not just any Catholic - anyone. They're horrible.
As far as I'm aware the only 3 that I see "trads" trust are the Douay-Rheims, Revised Standard Version: 2nd Catholic Edition, and the Knox Translation.
Ave Christus Rex!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Some Guy's post:
  • Ruth Catherine
(12-04-2020, 07:05 AM)LionHippo Wrote: I will admit, I think the D-R could be updated with some spelling changes that do not affect the text, such as Noe->Noah or Josue->Joshua, along with many place names; but that is just a minor quibble.

They're spelled the same as they are in the Vulgate, and many of those are taken directly from Greek - and the D-R is a translation of the Vulgate, not the Hebrew. It can take some getting used to, but it does set it apart from Protestant translations (and more modern Catholic ones), which I like.
My go to is the Douay-Rheims with notes by Bishop Challoner. I also have a "Textual Concordance of the Holy Scriptures" by T.D. Williams, DR Edition, that is often helpful.

I have a NAB that was gifted to me, but haven't cracked it in a while after I saw some rather untrustworthy notations in it and some of the English translations were too afar from the DR. I also have a KJV that belonged to a Protestant cousin of mine, since passed, that I only reference to see how badly the Masonic Bible has twisted Bible verse and meaning.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
The Douay Rheims is the translation I prefer. I may at times refer to the RSV Catholic edition if need to but usually always Douay Rheims.