The Christmas (Eve) menu and trying not to have anxiety over it
(12-09-2020, 05:08 PM)Pandora Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 03:32 PM)Elle19 Wrote: I really want to bring these sorts of things back. I’ve been collecting liturgical living books, and we’ve been benefiting SO MUCH from them! But no one taught us how to do any of this stuff. My husband, for example, was raised Catholic, but was never even taught how to say grace before meals, and my mother used to serve meat on Christmas Eve *facepalm* so we have had a long road behind us to even get where we are and an even longer road to go!!! Restoring Tradition is very important, and traditional food is incredibly important in bringing back Tradition. (Capitalization emphasis involved bouncing between threads, mea culpa!)

But because no one ever taught me how to do this, sometimes I think I need a checklist hahahaha

Which kind of Christmas Eve are you doing?  Any ideas in particular?

If you’re doing Polish, or any Slavic insofar as I am aware, you also need to get oplatki.  I think you can still order them in time for Christmas from religious stores.  Here’s an Amazon link, but they are way overpriced.  They usually aren’t more than $2 or $3 for a nice set like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Oplatki-Christmas-Wafers-Envelope/dp/B00H9YI0WA/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Oplatki&qid=1607547652&sr=8-4

PS: As a child, I always had to have the pink one because it was pink.  The pink one is supposed to be for the farm animals (or the dog if you don’t live on a farm).

I decided to go Italian. I pulled out my Marcella Hazan cookbook and made a list! I tried to go with things that have some “make ahead” elements, so that it can be done in stages, like you mentioned.

Trout in orange marinade
Fried artichoke wedges
Acquacotta
Pasta with white clam sauce
Grilled fish
(12-09-2020, 09:49 PM)Elle19 Wrote: I decided to go Italian. I pulled out my Marcella Hazan cookbook and made a list! I tried to go with things that have some “make ahead” elements, so that it can be done in stages, like you mentioned.

Trout in orange marinade
Fried artichoke wedges
Acquacotta
Grilled fish

That sounds like a plan!  If you have the time and energy, struffoli might be a fun thing to make with the kids.  Well, maybe not the frying part...

I love the dubbing on most GialloZafferano recipes, “super clean” and “super stressed,” but they have the toppings all wrong.  The only correct additions are tiny, round sprinkles.  

(12-10-2020, 10:04 AM)Pandora Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 09:49 PM)Elle19 Wrote: I decided to go Italian. I pulled out my Marcella Hazan cookbook and made a list! I tried to go with things that have some “make ahead” elements, so that it can be done in stages, like you mentioned.

Trout in orange marinade
Fried artichoke wedges
Acquacotta
Grilled fish

That sounds like a plan!  If you have the time and energy, struffoli might be a fun thing to make with the kids.  Well, maybe not the frying part...

I love the dubbing on most GialloZafferano recipes, “super clean” and “super stressed,” but they have the toppings all wrong.  The only correct additions are tiny, round sprinkles.  

Oh my!!! Delicious!!
We usually have a late snack on the 24th and then have a feast on the 25th, salmon pie, meat pie and many sides.
But due to the pandemic my area is quite restricted. I will probably make some lamb or duck for my dad and I on the 25th. He has a nice wood oven that slow cook perfectly.

And then we have a 'buche de noel' lol
(12-16-2020, 12:50 AM)The Fairy Wrote: We usually have a late snack on the 24th and then have a feast on the 25th, salmon pie, meat pie and many sides.
But due to the pandemic my area is quite restricted. I will probably make some lamb or duck for my dad and I on the 25th. He has a nice wood oven that slow cook perfectly.

I am amazed by people who can make those.  They are adorable, especially with the mushrooms and moss and whatnot.  You must take a picture!

I failed so many times at executing one that I gave up and bought a Bûche de Noël shaped cake pan.  No, it definitely isn’t as nice, but it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Are you going to make roast potatoes with the duck fat?
Oh I am not sure I will make one tho! will propably just get a little one... But sounds like a fun challenge to make it from scratch. 

The duck fat potatoes is such an excellent idea. Now I am hungry thinking of it....
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Fairy's post:
  • Elle19
(12-16-2020, 12:50 AM)The Fairy Wrote: We usually have a late snack on the 24th and then have a feast on the 25th, salmon pie, meat pie and many sides.

We usually do french meat pies on Christmas Night (tourtiere) and last year a made a buche de noel.  It was delicious and not as complicated as I thought it would be!  I am going to make another this year.

For Christmas Eve, in the past I have done the Italian Seven fishes dinner before.  But over the years I have become allergic to many types of shellfish. We will probably keep it simple this year. I still haven't planned a menu.  I like the idea of a late snack and then feast the next day.  This is the first year we have attempted Midnight Mass (and our first Latin Christmas Mass).  We are very excited.  My girls at home are 4, 6, 9, 11, 13, and 15.  The younger ones have an early bedtime.  I think I may put them to bed and then wake them up again.... I am not really sure what our logistics will be.
[-] The following 2 users Like CatholicMamato5's post:
  • Elle19, Sword of St. Michael
I started cooking last night. Today, among other things, is planned to be soup preparation day.

I saw a tourtière québécoise recipe on Glenn and Friends, it kind of reminded me of a meatloaf inside pastry.  Almost like a less fussy Wellington.

PS: I cannot unsee Space Battleship Mamato
(12-22-2020, 11:16 AM)Pandora Wrote: I started cooking last night. Today, among other things, is planned to be soup preparation day.

I saw a tourtière québécoise recipe on Glenn and Friends, it kind of reminded me of a meatloaf inside pastry.  Almost like a less fussy Wellington.

PS: I cannot unsee Space Battleship Mamato

Haha, my family is very French Canadian, and tourtière has always been the family tradition. We do cheat though, 'supposed' to be the post midnight mass meal, but we have it in the evening as there are little kids.

It is similar to a meatloaf in a pastry, the texture of the meat (at least how my family does it) is more crumbly. Lots of gravy as well and spices.
I went multicultural this year: seafood gumbo and potica (Slovene nutroll). Followed by midnight Mass, and a bourbon before retiring for the night.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden