The Christmas (Eve) menu and trying not to have anxiety over it
(12-04-2020, 11:39 PM)Pandora Wrote: Has anyone started for Christmas Eve yet?  I'm panicking already.  As far as I know none of the relatives are coming over, and I'm supposed to be dropping off the food.
I am going to take extra time off from work to get things started, but it already seems overwhelming.

My tentative menu below.  I'm curious what others are making.  Maybe I can swap things out for less labor intensive dishes, or at least less labor intensive than these.  I know for sure there's a few I can make whenever and freeze, but I still think it's going to be a marathon week.

1. Beet soup (undecided about making the dumplings, it took a thousand hours last year for some reason)
2. Mushroom soup
3. Vegetable salad -  from the boiled vegetables from the soup base
4. Cabbage and split peas
5. Potato pierogi (going to buy, especially if I don't make the mushroom dumplings)
6. Fried shrimp and scallops
7. Cauliflower with breadcrumbs 
8. Rice stuffed cabbage
9. Mushroom and onion croquettes
10. Cheesecake
11. Poppyseed bread 
12. Fruitcake

I still have nightmares about seeing the carp in the barrels at the stores, so no, I will not be making "real" fish.

I kept intending to make krupnik or 44 this year, but it's way too late to start either of those.  In fact, I should have started no less than 24 days ago.

Low keying it this year but both my kids and grandson will be coming by for Christmas so I am trying to pass off family traditions.

1. linguine with clam sauce
2. baked cod
3. fried shrimp
4. maybe cioppino, depends on the shellfish that are available during trip to the pier.

Not for Christmas Eve but, Christmas day, need to begin making the cappelletti, or pope hats, as my parentals and grand parentals used to call them.
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Christmas (Eve) menu and trying not to have anxiety over it - by CaptCrunch73 - 12-05-2020, 07:34 AM