Fast and abstain day tomorrow?
Hi!

Would you know if tomorrow is a fast and abstain day?

Pax
(12-06-2020, 10:29 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Hi!

Pax

According to my calendar from the FSSP, tomorrow, 7 December, is not a day of fasting or abstinence.  The feast of the Immaculate Conception on 8 December is of course also not a day of fasting and abstinence.

These are the fasting and abstinence days for the rest of this month:
Friday, 11 Dec - full abstinence
Wednesday, 16 Dec - half abstinence
Friday, 18 Dec - full abstinence
Saturday, 19 Dec - half abstinence
Thursday, 24 Dec - full abstinence *

* Some will disagree, but I can confirm it is on FSSP's calendar as a day of full abstinence.  I grew up in a NO home, and even in NO Christmas Eve was always traditionally a day of full abstinence.

Here's a link to a traditional rite 2020 according to the 1962 calendar.  It doesn't 100% agree with my print calendar, but since it's free and we're already in the last month of the year, it's probably good enough:  https://www.tridentinecatholic.com/cal2020.pdf

If you'd like to buy a print calendar for next year, and you're OK with the 1962 calendar, you can get one here: https://fraternitypublications.com/produ...-calendar/
I don't remember if shipping is charged if you just buy a calendar, but I can't imagine your all-in cost would be north of $14 if there is a shipping charge.
(12-06-2020, 11:02 PM)Pandora Wrote:

Pax

According to my calendar from the FSSP, tomorrow, 7 December, is not a day of fasting or abstinence.  The feast of the Immaculate Conception on 8 December is of course also not a day of fasting and abstinence.

* Some will disagree, but I can confirm it is on FSSP's calendar as a day of full abstinence.  I grew up in a NO home, and even in NO Christmas Eve was always traditionally a day of full abstinence.

Here's a link to a traditional rite 2020 according to the 1962 calendar.  It doesn't 100% agree with my print calendar, but since it's free and we're already in the last month of the year, it's probably good enough:  https://www.tridentinecatholic.com/cal2020.pdf

If you'd like to buy a print calendar for next year, and you're OK with the 1962 calendar, you can get one here: https://fraternitypublications.com/produ...-calendar/
I don't remember if shipping is charged if you just buy a calendar, but I can't imagine your all-in cost would be north of $14 if there is a shipping charge.

Thank you for the information. We use the calefactory.org trad calendar.  Not sure why it states fast and abstain.  But, thank you again!
Vox has an excellent page on the main site on fasting and abstinence. She's included a table showing the days of fasting and abstinence under the Old Code, as observed in 1962, and the changes made by the 1983 Code.

Fasting and Abstinence
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(12-06-2020, 11:02 PM)Pandora Wrote:

Pax

That is correct. Dec 07 is not a vigil in the 1962 calendar.  It was classified as a common vigil prior to its removal from the 1955 calendar by Pope Pius Xll, which I believe would have required fasting and partial abstinence (I could be wrong, full abstinence was only required for the 1st and 2nd class vigils.) And I believe Christmas Eve In the 1962 calendar is a vigil requiring full fast and partial abstinence?
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(12-06-2020, 11:30 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: That is correct. Dec 07 is not a vigil in the 1962 calendar.  It was classified as a common vigil prior to its removal from the 1955 calendar by Pope Pius Xll, which I believe would have required fasting and partial abstinence (I could be wrong, full abstinence was only required for the 1st and 2nd class vigils.) And I believe Christmas Eve In the 1962 calendar is a vigil requiring full fast and partial abstinence?

I know for sure it is full abstinence in the 1962 calendar, but not sure about fasting.  My family (and church-going families in general) always fasted on Christmas Eve as well, just like continuing the fast on Holy Saturday at least until the afternoon.

Strangely enough, I had just posted something within the last few days about menus for the traditional meatless Christmas Eve dinner, and remarked that I was surprised when someone said they were going to have meat.  The poster answered that abstinence was not required, which I think may be accurate for the "new" calendar.  If abstinence is no longer required, I can't see why fasting would be required on the new calendar, either.
I just checked my copy of Fr Lasance's 'My Prayer-Book', imprimatur 19 September 1908. The Vigil of the Immaculate Conception is not listed as a day of fast or of abstinence. The Vigils of Pentecost, Assumption, All Saints, and Christmas are the only Vigils listed, and all four are fast and full abstinence.

Of course, those were the rules in the US. Even then different countries might have different rules on Holy Days and fast & abstinence. 

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
It's not the 1962 calendar, but the 1917 Code of Canon Law. Under that, the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception was a day of fasting and abstinence. As mentioned, that Vigil (as well as the Vigil of All Saints, which was also a day of fasting and abstinence - yes, the reformers got rid of Halloween) were removed from the 1962 calendar. I don't know if the requirement of fasting was also removed when the Vigils were.

In any case, the law binding under pain of mortal sin is the 1983 Code, which requires fasting and abstinence only on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Anything more is good to do, but no longer required. If you fast tomorrow and next week on the Ember Days, that's good. If you choose not to, you don't commit a sin.
(12-07-2020, 01:16 AM)Paul Wrote: It's not the 1962 calendar, but the 1917 Code of Canon Law. Under that, the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception was a day of fasting and abstinence. As mentioned, that Vigil (as well as the Vigil of All Saints, which was also a day of fasting and abstinence - yes, the reformers got rid of Halloween) were removed from the 1962 calendar. I don't know if the requirement of fasting was also removed when the Vigils were.

But, had the Holy See dispensed from it in the US? I just checked my 'Little Flower Prayerbook', imprimatur 18 February 1926, by George, Cardinal Mundelein and its list is exactly the same as the 1908 list in the book from Fr Lasance.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
(12-07-2020, 04:16 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: But, had the Holy See dispensed from it in the US? I just checked my 'Little Flower Prayerbook', imprimatur 18 February 1926, by George, Cardinal Mundelein and its list is exactly the same as the 1908 list in the book from Fr Lasance.

Actually, I got that wrong - it's the Vigil of the Assumption, not the Immaculate Conception, that's given in the 1917 Code. But I've also found things saying that in some places, including the US, the fast was moved to the Vigil of the Immaculate Conception, and that Pius XII did so in 1957 for the universal Church.

Quote:By 1962,[url=https://fatima.org/news-views/pasting-part-7-fasting-in-the-1900s-pre-vatican-ii/#_ftn3][/url] the laws of fasting and abstinence were as follows, as described in Moral Theology (copyright 1961) by Rev. Heribert Jone and adapted by Rev. Urban Adelman, for the “laws and customs of the United States of America”:
Quote:“Complete abstinence is to be observed on all Fridays of the year, Ash Wednesday, the Vigils of Immaculate Conception and Christmas. Partial abstinence is to be observed on Ember Wednesdays and Saturdays and on the Vigil of Pentecost. Days of fast are all the weekdays of Lent, Ember Days, and the Vigil of Pentecost.”
Also, if a vigil falls on a Sunday, the law of abstinence and fasting is dispensed that year and is not transferred to the preceding day.