The Lord's Name in Vain..
(12-11-2020, 05:00 PM)Gondothlim 2 Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 04:23 PM)Pandora Wrote: Just go to a NO parish, you’ll be the only one in line.

Okay.  Seriously, jokes like this need to stop.  They turn people away, and they aren't even funny.  

And it's just not true, whenever I go to an NO church for confession there's usually a fair amount of people in line, to the point where sometimes I don't make it in before the priest has to say Mass.

Will you also let me know every instance of when I could possibly offend anyone?

I’ll be in my Amish dress while I drive to a TLM 2 hours away from my home in a minivan with my husband and 17 children.  We don’t eat on days that end in -y as penance and look down on anyone who does.
I've just tried to eliminate swearing altogether, mostly because it's immature and I don't want my boys copying it. But I had the same problem as Jack for awhile, and thankfully have eliminated infractions against the 2nd Commandment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LionHippo's post:
  • CaptCrunch73
(12-11-2020, 04:28 PM)NSMSSS Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 03:01 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [*]It must be committed with full knowledge and awareness of the gravity of the offense.
[*]It must be committed with deliberate and complete consent.
[/list]
In the case you mentioned 2 and 3 may be questionable, but I am not a priest.

I don't think it's questionable in the case he explained.  Most people, when they stub their toe or whatever that causes them to react with blurting out our Lord's name, are not performing any deliberation and giving any consent to what they're doing.  It's a knee-jerk reaction.  If somebody puts some thought into saying something blasphemous against our Lord, that would be quite different.

Sure, I basically agree, but are you willing to go on record for somebody else's eternal destination?

Priests/Confessors/spiritual directors are trained to root out normal things that laity are not. I can attest to personal experience which is why I would always defer to a priest/confessor/spiritual director
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
(12-11-2020, 06:36 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: Sure, I basically agree, but are you willing to go on record for somebody else's eternal destination?

Priests/Confessors/spiritual directors are trained to root out normal things that laity are not. I can attest to personal experience which is why I would always defer to a priest/confessor/spiritual director

I agree, and I also believe that approved examination of conscience guides, which is one of my sources for my material in this thread, can be helpful in making the call as to whether something was a mortal or venial sin and quell the scrupulous soul.

There was also a saint in my page-a-day book on the lives of the saints that said something to the effect of such "cursing" not normally being mortal sin because of the lack of intent.  I'll have to see if I can again find that passage.

And as one priest I know has said, "If you're questioning as to whether something was a mortal sin or not, that means it probably wasn't a mortal sin."
[-] The following 1 user Likes NSMSSS's post:
  • CaptCrunch73
Outside of Lent, the last time I saw a line up for confession in an NO Church was over 20 years ago, and that was in a Redemptorist Church. The Redemptorists are famous as confessors and people came from all over the city to go to confession. Other than that, I've never seen a line in an NO Church and I've been a Catholic for 40 years.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • CaptCrunch73
(12-11-2020, 06:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Outside of Lent, the last time I saw a line up for confession in an NO Church was over 20 years ago, and that was in a Redemptorist Church. The Redemptorists are famous as confessors and people came from all over the city to go to confession. Other than that, I've never seen a line in an NO Church and I've been a Catholic for 40 years.

The parish that we attended before we switched to the FSSP parish was a very conservative NO parish and there were lines for confession before every Mass.  They were supposed to stop confessions before Mass but often people were confessing into the homily.  A few times I tried to get to confession before the noon Mass during the week and I never made it in.  There was only one priest for daily Mass as the other priest is at a college.

Also, during the lockdown, one of the larger parishes about 40 min from me was offering confession in their cemetery.  We went right before Easter and it was packed!  I think that there are some NO parishes that are really trying.
(12-11-2020, 07:46 PM)CatholicMamato5 Wrote: The parish that we attended before we switched to the FSSP parish was a very conservative NO parish and there were lines for confession before every Mass.  They were supposed to stop confessions before Mass but often people were confessing into the homily.  A few times I tried to get to confession before the noon Mass during the week and I never made it in.  There was only one priest for daily Mass as the other priest is at a college.

Also, during the lockdown, one of the larger parishes about 40 min from me was offering confession in their cemetery.  We went right before Easter and it was packed!  I think that there are some NO parishes that are really trying.

I must admit, I've seen this as well.  I belonged to an NO parish in Mesa, AZ a couple of years ago and there were always lines for confession.  Masses were pretty full just about every Sunday and packed on holy days.
(12-11-2020, 06:59 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Outside of Lent, the last time I saw a line up for confession in an NO Church was over 20 years ago, and that was in a Redemptorist Church. The Redemptorists are famous as confessors and people came from all over the city to go to confession. Other than that, I've never seen a line in an NO Church and I've been a Catholic for 40 years.

That's odd. I've been a parishioner at a few different FSSP parishes over the last 10 years (moved around the country a bit), but because of family and other obligations I've also attended Mass at many different NO parishes. I've seen Confession lines at most of them.

But Pandora's joke was still funny.
Vides ut alta stet nive candidum
Soracte, nec iam sustineant onus
     silvae laborantes, geluque
          flumina constiterint acuto.

Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
I'll admit, I broke the #1 rule of the internet, don't post when you're angry. (I still stand by what I said though, jokes like that about NO people are in very bad taste and inappropriate. I understand some things you just have to joke about, but there's a limit. Furthermore it can lead into a mindset of "we're better than them" which is extremely bad spiritually)

As for the lines outside confessionals of course it varies.
(12-11-2020, 07:46 PM)CatholicMamato5 Wrote: The parish that we attended before we switched to the FSSP parish was a very conservative NO parish and there were lines for confession before every Mass.  They were supposed to stop confessions before Mass but often people were confessing into the homily.  A few times I tried to get to confession before the noon Mass during the week and I never made it in.  There was only one priest for daily Mass as the other priest is at a college.
 You aren't in NH by any chance?  I go to the FSSP parish in Nashua, but I know they've got a priest saying daily Mass at the college there.