New Biography on Pope Benedict XVI
This is a bit interesting and should red pill some who thought he was conservative.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/new-biography-describes-great-influence-of-joseph-ratzinger-in-the-revolutionary-upheaval-of-vatican-ii?utm_source=editor_picks&utm_campaign=catholic
D. Morgan

"The Truth is still the Truth, even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it" Venerable ++ArchBishop Fulton Sheen
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"
He still did more to advance the usus antiquior than any other post-conciliar pope, and for that we should be thankful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NSMSSS's post:
  • Dmorgan
(12-12-2020, 04:38 PM)Dmorgan Wrote: This is a bit interesting and should red pill some who thought he was conservative.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/new-biography-describes-great-influence-of-joseph-ratzinger-in-the-revolutionary-upheaval-of-vatican-ii?utm_source=editor_picks&utm_campaign=catholic
Agreed. Perhaps a bit of making amends.
D. Morgan

"The Truth is still the Truth, even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it" Venerable ++ArchBishop Fulton Sheen
"Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris"
(12-12-2020, 04:53 PM)NSMSSS Wrote: He still did more to advance the usus antiquior than any other post-conciliar pope, and for that we should be thankful.

Only to stave off a potential schism driven by people recognizing the failures of the Novus Ordo and the rising SSPX.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Dmorgan
(12-12-2020, 08:23 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Only to stave off a potential schism driven by people recognizing the failures of the Novus Ordo and the rising SSPX.

And to that, he provided a canonically-regular way of resolving the problem.

Nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due.
(12-12-2020, 09:20 PM)NSMSSS Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 08:23 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Only to stave off a potential schism driven by people recognizing the failures of the Novus Ordo and the rising SSPX.

And to that, he provided a canonically-regular way of resolving the problem.

Nothing wrong with giving credit where credit is due.

I think this is fair enough. While it’s nice to have leaders do something because they know it’s the right thing, we often have leaders do something for more pragmatic reasons.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12
(12-12-2020, 09:29 PM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: I think this is fair enough. While it’s nice to have leaders do something because they know it’s the right thing, we often have leaders do something for more pragmatic reasons.

Fair enough, though it's a much finer state of affairs than Popes Paul VI, John Paul I and John Paul II who all did little or nothing for the cause of the TLM.
I read another book by Seewald with some of his interviews with Ratzinger, before and after his papacy, and thanks to it I changed my views on the man. To know that he was one of those responsible for all the mess before and after Vat II... made me reconsider my admiration for the man.
Ite ad Ioseph
[-] The following 2 users Like Ioannes_L's post:
  • Dmorgan, PilgrimMichelangelo
(12-12-2020, 09:32 PM)NSMSSS Wrote: Fair enough, though it's a much finer state of affairs than Popes Paul VI, John Paul I and John Paul II who all did little or nothing for the cause of the TLM.

To put John Paul I in the same box with Paul the Pusillanimous and John Paul the Small is a bit unfair. He only reigned for 33 days. Not exactly long enough to have any idea of what he might have done.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten
Some of us knew already. For instance, I knew that in the 1980's, so well after the Council at which he had been a leading 'reformer', he said (in approval),

Quote:Let us content ourselves here with stating that the text [of Gaudium et spes] plays the role of a counter-Syllabus to the measure that it represents an attempt to officially reconcile the Church with the world as it had become after 1789. 

From Principles of Catholic Theology: Building Stones for a Fundamental Theology, 1982.

There may be problems with TIA, but talking about this, they're spot on!

Quote:Writing about the constitution Gaudium et spes, Card. Joseph Ratzinger described the new approach of the Conciliar Church toward the Modern World born from the French Revolution. The previous attitude of the Church was in accordance with the norms of Pope Pius IX listed in the Syllabus, which taught Catholics to combat the Liberalism of modernity.

Instead, Gaudium et spes advised Catholics to accept the Modern World as it is - certainly a revolution regarding the previous teaching. Hence Ratzinger approvingly defined Gaudium et spes as "a counter-Syllabus."

In other words, he boldly announced that the teaching of the Church, vis-vis Church and State relations and 'religious freedom', could be changed, willy-nilly.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Dmorgan, PilgrimMichelangelo