Ugly Side Effects of Drinking Coffee Every Day, According to the Mayo Clinic
To be fair, I am a man that o top of coffee, drinks energy drinks. I remember when I first had one as a kid, I was licking the windows in my sisters car. I was super hyped up. At 24 years old, Caffeine does not hit like it used to. I think energy drinks especially without sugar, is actually better than normal soda, simply because of B Vitamins
(05-06-2021, 01:16 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 11:37 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Whenever I read an article such as this from a well-known and well-respected source, such as Mayo, I always ask myself "What is their end goal here? What are they trying to sell me or how are they trying to change my lifestyle so that they benefit?"

You see, I wholeheartedly believe that today's doctors and medical researchers do not have our best interests at heart. Hospitals are now big businesses, with lots of donors to keep happy. A little research will often uncover shocking things about how certain studies were conducted, or who funded them. 

I wonder; who funded this study about coffee and why? Researchers don't just conduct experiments for the hell of it; they have big companies that supply money for these studies with the end goal of proving (or trying to prove) that their product is better for you than some other company's product. 

There is very little, if any, research done now for the common good, because there is no money in conducting a study that tells people to drink less sugary drinks, or spend less time online, etc. 

Look at a cereal box. Look at the food pyramid on the back. What is the biggest chunk of the pyramid, indicating the largest quantity of servings a person should eat to supposedly have a balanced diet? Why, grains! And it's on a cereal box...how ironic!

I honestly see nothing wrong with coffee. Caffeine, when not added to sugary drinks, is one of the least dangerous substances to be addicted to. If they tell people to stay away from caffeine, what will these people consume instead for a breakfast beverage? Soy milk, perhaps? Or soda without caffeine? 

Obviously, caffeine affects everyone differently, but I would think we should be far more worried about sugar and carb addictions.

I think Mayo Clinic is being infiltrated by morons.  We have excellent doctors and nurses, but I think certain areas like the publication office are being run by woketards.

I guarantee you that there's another article around Mayo touting the benefits of drinking coffee regularly.
The whole food pyramid is whack, IMO. People's nutritional needs vary depending on age, gender, occupation, whether you are pregnant or not, activity level. I also heard that the food pyramid is actually based on junk science in fact, that it was based on a faulty Five Nations Study to combat heart disease after Eisenhower had a heart attack. They thought, if we could split the atom surely we could end heart disease. And what happened was that, as many producers of snacks and the like were reducing fat and oils, that replaced it with sugar. Therefore diabetes.
(05-06-2021, 07:54 PM)Anon777 Wrote: I also heard that the food pyramid is actually based on junk science in fact, that it was based on a faulty Five Nations Study to combat heart disease after Eisenhower had a heart attack. 

It may very well be based on junk science for all I know since I'm not a nutritionist, but Eisenhower's heart attack had nothing to do with it. The first 'food pyramid' was designed in Sweden in 1972, 27 years after Ike's heart attack, to try to help people eat healthily during a period of high food prices. 

The WHO and FAO came out with one in 1989.

In 1992, 47 years after the heart attack, the USDA finally got on board and published one.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe