Clash of Orthodox Schools
Over on a different thread I recently posted regarding the different schools of Orthodox Christianity.  A dear Romanian friend sent me this link and it appears  two schools are about to duke it out on January 30th:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/...n-visions/
It looks like Dreher, who has left the Catholic Church, is discovering problems in his new religion.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 3 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • HailGilbert, jovan66102, PilgrimMichelangelo
(01-09-2021, 12:56 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: It looks like Dreher, who has left the Catholic Church, is discovering problems in his new religion.

In addition to the ethnic/nationalist problems we've discussed, which Dreher ignores.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(01-09-2021, 06:41 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 12:56 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: It looks like Dreher, who has left the Catholic Church, is discovering problems in his new religion.

In addition to the ethnic/nationalist problems we've discussed, which Dreher ignores.
Aside from moral issues (BC and divorce), that has to be the biggest red flag re orthodoxy.  It's the antithesis of the worldwide evangelization the Church was so successful at prior to V2
Bug 
Yes.  I wonder which jurisdiction he belongs to.  Does anyone know?

Dreher was raised as a Methodist and converted to Catholicism in 1993.  He left Catholicism for Orthodoxy in 2006 because of the sex abuse scandal.

When I converted to Orthodoxy, it was because of its deep tradition of prayer and spirituality.  It carried a promise that something could actually happen in one's spiritual life.  Real results.  Theosis.  Seeing the Uncreated Light.

I returned to Catholicism because I was homesick for the Western tradition.  I had come to accept the divisions within Orthodoxy, so that was not a motivating factor at the time.  With the benefit of distance, I've come to see how corrosive the divisions are.  Not just the divisions between ethnicities, but such issues as the old versus the new calendar, and the issue of whether baptisms outside of Orthodoxy are acceptable.

Since returning, I've come to appreciate the deep tradition of prayer in the Catholic Church.  I'm thinking of great books like Fire Within by Fr. Thomas Dubay and Time for God by Fr. Jacques Philippe.

I also value very much the emphasis in the Catholic Church on living the Gospel and practicing the corporal and spiritual works of mercy.  You don't find that in Orthodoxy, but in Matthew 25 Our Lord is clear that this is what matters to Him most.  (I also find that traditionalism is lacking when it comes to this.)  Vladimir Soloviev captures this difference so well in his story about St. Nicholas and Cassian in his book Russia and the Universal Church.
"[I]t is vain to hope to attract souls to God by a bitter zeal."  Pope St. Pius X.

"If anyone deludes himself by thinking he is serving God, when he has not learned to control his tongue, the service he gives is vain.  If he is to offer service pure and unblemished in the sight of God, who is our Father, he must take care of orphans and widows in their need, and keep himself unstained by the world."  James 1:26-27.
[-] The following 2 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • jovan66102, PilgrimMichelangelo
Here is Soloviev's story of St. Nicholas and Cassian, followed by his analysis.

[-] The following 2 users Like Clare Brigid's post:
  • jovan66102, PilgrimMichelangelo
I did some Googling.  Rod Dreher is a member of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA), in the Diocese of the South.

(01-10-2021, 04:59 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I did some Googling.  Rod Dreher is a member of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA), in the Diocese of the South.

The OCA has been attractive to converts for a long time. In fact, when the Episcopal Church 'ordained' women, I know of antire Anglican parishes that converted to it, en masse, often with their pastor being ordained to the Priesthood.

Which is ironic, because when I entered Orthodoxy, I ended up in the Serbian Orthodox Parish. I first attended an OCA Parish, but it was so ethnically centred that your acceptance depended on where your family was from in the Old Country. The Russians hated the Ukrainians (the Cossacks weren't too fond of their fellow Ukrainians, either), the Ukrainians hated the Russians, and everybody, including the Russians hated the Muscovites. American converts were just not part of their world.

On the other hand, the Serbs were very ethnically centred as well, but with one major difference. When you were Chrismated, you became a Serb! A good illustration is what happened to me the week after my Chrismation. Our parish hall, adjacent to the Church, had a bar where we would gather after Liturgy. Sort of like coffee and doughnuts, but with booze!

I had forgotten to bring enough cash with me, so after the collection and buying candles for lighting before the icons, I didn't have enough for a drink. I approached the parish treasurer, another convert, and asked to borrow some money. He readily agreed and lent me enough to cover drinks.

The next week, after Liturgy, 
two other parishioners approached me, one a Serb and one a Ukrainian married to a Serb. They took me aside and told me that if I was ever in that situation again, just to approach one of them and ask him to buy my drinks. They said, 'Don't borrow money. It might look bad to an American who was here.' As far as they were concerned, I had ceased to be an 'American' when I was Chrismated.

My oldest was just a few months old and the old Serbian ladies used to dandle her on their knee and call her 'our little Serb'. It was by far the most welcoming Church body I've ever experience.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 3 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Clare Brigid, Melkite, PilgrimMichelangelo
Thanks for sharing about your acceptance by the Serbs.  That's nice to hear.

Regarding the OCA, for some time I attended St. Stephen's Orthodox Cathedral (OCA) in Philadelphia where the young pastor was from Ukraine.  There were plenty of Russians there, but I never noticed any tensions.  I guess it varies from place to place.

It wasn't just my Parish community, either. The Serbs, at the time, had a schism going back to the '40s. It was acrimonious, with civil lawsuits over property flying back and forth. I had a friend, Dragutin Stamenko Stamenkovic, who belonged to the other group. He had never set foot in my Church and I had never set foot in his, but one day an American said I wasn't a Serb because I was a convert. Dragi said that I was and offered to 'step outside' with the fellow if he didn't agree!

***ETA*** Another bit about Holy Trinity OCA. Vladika John, the Archeparch, got so irritated with the ethnic infighting that he sent them a Pastor that totally confused their prejudices. Hieromonk Hilary was an Italian-Irish convert from Catholicism! They just didn't know what to do with him. He actually got along fairly well.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe