Vatican modifies distribution of ashes for Ash Wednesday
https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatican-ci...ashes.html
He then sprinkles the ashes on each person’s head “without saying anything.”

Uh.....
This doesn't particularly bother me.  The priest says the prayer once to all and then gives ashes to each, rather than saying it to each whilst giving ashes.  It's a superficial change without meaningful significance.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
(01-12-2021, 03:26 PM)Chadster Wrote: He then sprinkles the ashes on each person’s head “without saying anything.”

Uh.....

I could be wrong, but I believe ashes sprinkled on the head is/was always the norm for most of the world, anyway.
I'm sure the idea here is that by not speaking, and not making contact with the person, there is less chance of transmitting a virus.

In the traditional rite, ashes are sprinkled on the tonsure (middle of the top of the head) of clerics. The marking of the forehead is relatively new (even if part of the older rite), so there's nothing inherently wrong with this.

Not that I think change is good, or that this change makes any real sense in the true reality of the situation, but the CDW also modified the whole Easter Triduum last year to permit private ceremonies, so the idea of slight modifications for just reasons is not a real issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Steven