Last Catholic Sovereign?
Does anyone know who the last Catholic sovereign to rule and reign was? 

I know the last Orthodox sovereign was the Holy Tsar Martyr Nicholas II,  which peaked my interest in who the last Catholic monarch was.  (I technically don't count the King of Spain, since he is basically a figurehead with very little authority left and has discarded much of the trappings of Catholic monarchy). 

Also, I found this bit of ceremonial for the Coronation of a Catholic Royal: 

https://religiousstudiesblog.blogspot.co...-rite.html
"Orthodoxy is not so much a matter of the head. It is something living, and it's of the heart." --Bl. Seraphim of Platina

"Beauty will save the world." --Fyodor Dostoevsky

"You shall know the truth, and it will make you odd." --Flannery O'Connor
(01-13-2021, 10:59 PM)PilgrimMichelangelo Wrote: Does anyone know who the last Catholic sovereign to rule and reign was? 

I know the last Orthodox sovereign was the Holy Tsar Martyr Nicholas II,  which peaked my interest in who the last Catholic monarch was.  (I technically don't count the King of Spain, since he is basically a figurehead with very little authority left and has discarded much of the trappings of Catholic monarchy). 

The last Orthodox sovereign was Constantine of Greece who is still alive. He ruled until 1973. Before him, but after the Tsar, there were Orthodox Kings in Rumania, Yugoslavia, and Bulgaria, the latter of whom is also still alive.

As for Catholics, there are still the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and the Prince of Liechtenstein. Until the end of WWII there was also the King of Italy.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • PilgrimMichelangelo
(01-13-2021, 10:59 PM)PilgrimMichelangelo Wrote: Does anyone know who the last Catholic sovereign to rule and reign was? 

Funny you should say that. His marriage to his present wife was televised live. It was in the cathedral if I am not mistaken. It was a Catholic wedding. At the end they prayed for the repose of the souls of recent victims of a terrorist attack.
[-] The following 1 user Likes benedicite's post:
  • PilgrimMichelangelo
(01-14-2021, 12:44 AM)benedicite Wrote: Funny you should say that. His marriage to his present wife was televised live. It was in the cathedral if I am not mistaken. It was a Catholic wedding. At the end they prayed for the repose of the souls of recent victims of a terrorist attack.

Whilst Queen Letizia has been married before (I assume there was an annulment), she is not King Felipe's 'present wife'. She is his first and only wife.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(01-14-2021, 12:44 AM)benedicite Wrote:

Funny you should say that. His marriage to his present wife was televised live. It was in the cathedral if I am not mistaken. It was a Catholic wedding. At the end they prayed for the repose of the souls of recent victims of a terrorist attack.

Forgive my imprecision, I meant the last Catholic monarch to be formally coronated by the Church. If I am not mistaken, I believe King Felipe merely swore an oath before the Spanish Congress. See here: King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain Coronation Photos | POPSUGAR Latina

As an aside, I am glad they had a full Catholic wedding.
"Orthodoxy is not so much a matter of the head. It is something living, and it's of the heart." --Bl. Seraphim of Platina

(01-13-2021, 11:41 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

The last Orthodox sovereign was Constantine of Greece who is still alive. He ruled until 1973. Before him, but after the Tsar, there were Orthodox Kings in Rumania, Yugoslavia, and Bulgaria, the latter of whom is also still alive.

As for Catholics, there are still the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and the Prince of Liechtenstein. Until the end of WWII there was also the King of Italy.

Hmmm...yes I seem to forget them. Many thanks for bringing these other sovereigns to my attention. This gives me much food for further research.  I am looking specifically for evidence that they were Coronated via the Church ceremonial.  In Orthodoxy the Coronation is considered a Sacrament reserved for the Monarch alone. 

I wonder if Catholicism also considers the Coronation of a monarch as a Sacrament or Sacramental?

(01-14-2021, 01:53 AM)PilgrimMichelangelo Wrote: I wonder if Catholicism also considers the Coronation of a monarch as a Sacrament or Sacramental?

I would say it was definitely a Sacramental. There was a ritual for coronation in the older Rituales or Pontificales. However, I don't know of any monarch in the Western world that has been crowned using anything like it in the 20th century, except for the British Kings and Queens. The protestant service used for their Coronation is closely modeled on the old Catholic ritual. You can find multiple videos on YouTube of parts of the ceremony.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • benedicite, PilgrimMichelangelo
I need to correct myself. I said no monarch had been crowned with the Catholic ceremonial in the 20th century. This is not true. Blessed Karl, Emperor of Austria, was crowned as Apostolic KIng of Hungary as IV. Károly (Charles IV) on 30 December 1917, with the full Catholic ceremony as used in the Kingdom of Hungary.

Here is a picture taken just after the Coronation, with him, the Servant of God, Queen Zita (Empress of Austria), and the Heir Apparent, Otto, who 68 years later stood Godfather to my youngest daughter (by proxy, needless to say! LOL!)

[Image: Karlfamily.jpg]

St Bernard of Clairvaux

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Ambrosiano, PilgrimMichelangelo