Hey Folks!
I was in the process of becoming a member of this website when I discovered that I was already a member. I haven't visited in a while, so I don't know if I ever even introduced myself. So. . .

Hey, folks! I intend to ask questions, engage in polite (though perhaps sometimes "devil's advocate") dialogue, and learn about the traditional Catholic Faith.
See you around the forum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Southern Stoic's post:
  • ServusDei
Hello!  Welcome to Fisheaters!

I see from your profile that you converted to Orthodoxy from Evangelicalism and then fell away into atheism. Are you Catholic now or are you thinking about becoming Catholic? Either way, this is a good place for you.
The Gospel is traditional.
(01-15-2021, 07:40 PM)Southern Stoic Wrote: I was in the process of becoming a member of this website when I discovered that I was already a member. I haven't visited in a while, so I don't know if I ever even introduced myself. So. . .

Hey, folks! I intend to ask questions, engage in polite (though perhaps sometimes "devil's advocate") dialogue, and learn about the traditional Catholic Faith.
See you around the forum!
Roll Tide
(01-15-2021, 08:08 PM)Evangelium Wrote: Hello!  Welcome to Fisheaters!

I see from your profile that you converted to Orthodoxy from Evangelicalism and then fell away into atheism. Are you Catholic now or are you thinking about becoming Catholic?  Either way, this is a good place for you.

Thanks, Evangelium!

Yes, I fell away from Orthodoxy. Technically I didn't fall from Orthodoxy into atheism, rather after I had already left the Church I became an atheist (although my apostasy and my atheism were definitely connected). It would be more accurate for me to say "agnostic," but the nihilism was so dark that it didn't really leave the possibility for the existence of God in my thinking. I still struggle with it, but there's a little more light in the tunnel (OR the darkness has just become easier for me to deal with).

And I am considering giving Catholicism the fair chance that I never have given it before. I was raised Evangelical Protestant, so I was trained against it. I became Orthodox, further training ;). But I'd like to discuss this with traditional Catholics, studying a bit about Catholicism and see what its all about. 
In my bio it says I now believe in the existence of God. I'm not sure about the rest. So I'm still studying about the crucial matter of Jesus and trying to pray. But if I become a Christian, I know I won't become Protestant. I'll be either Orthodox or Catholic. And I've never given Catholicism its due consideration.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Southern Stoic's post:
  • Fortunabeargirl
(01-15-2021, 10:14 PM)Southern Stoic Wrote:

I see from your profile that you converted to Orthodoxy from Evangelicalism and then fell away into atheism. Are you Catholic now or are you thinking about becoming Catholic?  Either way, this is a good place for you.

Thanks, Evangelium!

Yes, I fell away from Orthodoxy. Technically I didn't fall from Orthodoxy into atheism, rather after I had already left the Church I became an atheist (although my apostasy and my atheism were definitely connected). It would be more accurate for me to say "agnostic," but the nihilism was so dark that it didn't really leave the possibility for the existence of God in my thinking. I still struggle with it, but there's a little more light in the tunnel (OR the darkness has just become easier for me to deal with).

And I am considering giving Catholicism the fair chance that I never have given it before. I was raised Evangelical Protestant, so I was trained against it. I became Orthodox, further training ;). But I'd like to discuss this with traditional Catholics, studying a bit about Catholicism and see what its all about. 
In my bio it says I now believe in the existence of God. I'm not sure about the rest. So I'm still studying about the crucial matter of Jesus and trying to pray. But if I become a Christian, I know I won't become Protestant. I'll be either Orthodox or Catholic. And I've never given Catholicism its due consideration.
Since you're here, you probably know this already, but if you are attending Catholic Mass to check it out, DO NOT go to a Novus Ordo (the liturgy of 99% of parishes). 

Find a Latin Mass if at all possible.  Your profile says Alabama, and I don't know what part, but Birmingham has one on Sundays at 10:45 at Blessesd Sacrament and the monastery in Cullman has two on Sunday.  Up in Huntsville there's a Latin Mass parish Our Lady Help of Christians, and down in Mobile the closest every Sunday Latin Mass is in Pensacola.
Welcome!
(01-16-2021, 09:58 AM)SECath Wrote:

Thanks, Evangelium!

Since you're here, you probably know this already, but if you are attending Catholic Mass to check it out, DO NOT go to a Novus Ordo (the liturgy of 99% of parishes). 

Find a Latin Mass if at all possible.  Your profile says Alabama, and I don't know what part, but Birmingham has one on Sundays at 10:45 at Blessesd Sacrament and the monastery in Cullman has two on Sunday.  Up in Huntsville there's a Latin Mass parish Our Lady Help of Christians, and down in Mobile the closest every Sunday Latin Mass is in Pensacola.

I do know that I shouldn't go to a Novus Ordo parish, but I appreciate that you told me that. It clears up any lingering doubt I may have whether or not I'm on the correct forum. Traditional Catholicism is one of the reasons I want to start looking into Catholicism. I used to think "Catholicism is Catholicism," so to speak. Watching people like Dr. Taylor Marshall on YouTube, I now know that thinking was way too simplistic.

Thanks for the parish suggestions. I hadn't considered attending a monastery. Perhaps that would be the best way for me to start.

And I should ask: Does Latin Mass necessarily mean that the Catholic parish is Traditional? The other day I read somewhere that there can be liturgical abuses in parishes where liturgies are performed in English or in Latin. 
Thanks.
(01-16-2021, 03:36 PM)Southern Stoic Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 09:58 AM)SECath Wrote:

Thanks, Evangelium!

I do know that I shouldn't go to a Novus Ordo parish, but I appreciate that you told me that. It clears up any lingering doubt I may have whether or not I'm on the correct forum. Traditional Catholicism is one of the reasons I want to start looking into Catholicism. I used to think "Catholicism is Catholicism," so to speak. Watching people like Dr. Taylor Marshall on YouTube, I now know that thinking was way too simplistic.

Thanks for the parish suggestions. I hadn't considered attending a monastery. Perhaps that would be the best way for me to start.

And I should ask: Does Latin Mass necessarily mean that the Catholic parish is Traditional? The other day I read somewhere that there can be liturgical abuses in parishes where liturgies are performed in English or in Latin. 
Thanks.
Latin Mass does not necessarily mean the entire parish is traditional, but there will be Trad laity at every Latin Mass which is great for making friends and building a like-minded community.  

I have attended 4 Latin mass parishes in the two most recent places I've lived.  The first parish in the first city was a FSSP parish, and it was by far and away the best one (great sermons, excellent confessions, etc.).  In my current city, there are 3 parishes with every Sunday Latin masses, and a 4th with once a month masses.  2 of the 3 every Sunday parishes are diocesan, with subpar masses, sermons and confessions but with good parishioners.  1 is an SSPX chapel, with excellent masses, sermons and confessions, but definitely a more cultish crowd (with many exceptions of course).  The 4th is a diocesan parish, and the masses, priest and confessions are great, but father can only do what he can do (scheduling latin mass at off hours and only once a month).  

Having said all that, yes, there can be minor liturgical abuses in latin mass parishes but nothing even close to the train wreck that is the Novus Ordo.  Even the worst Vetus Ordo is exponentially more pleasing to God and better for the soul
[-] The following 1 user Likes SECath's post:
  • HailGilbert
Hi there, welcome to FishEaters!!
:monstrance:Deo Gratias et Ave Maria! :monstrance:
Pray the Rosary

A Dieu mon ame,
Mon arme au roi,
Mon Coeur a la dame,
Mon honneur a moi!