Why the Strong Anti-Western Bias Among Orthodox?
(01-29-2021, 01:30 PM)Justin Tertius Wrote: in some authors, there is a very strong anti-Western sentiment 
1. the fourth crusade. Nuns were beaten and raped; Orthodox churches were looted. Precious stolen items were placed in Roman Catholic Churches in the West and some were never returned. 
2. the torture and murder of Serbian Orthodox Christians in WWII. the concentration camp at jasenovac. the massacre of Orthodox Christians at the church in Glina. the vicious killings under the leadership of the Franciscan Miroslav Filipovic. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miroslav_Filipovi%C4%87
[-] The following 1 user Likes AlNg777's post:
  • Basil3HCm
Both Greeks and Latins did wrong things historically, and they should be condemned and rejected by both sides today. That's completely separate from the doctrinal issues. Orthodox Bishop Kallistos +Ware gives a good summary of both: "Yet there had been several similar scandalous atrocities or unsavory, treacherous incidents which occurred before the sack, on the part of the Byzantines, which have not received their due attention. For the sake of fairness and historical objectivity (not polemics and controversy), we will review some of these. Warren Carroll notes:

Horrible and utterly indefensible as the sack was, it should in justice be remembered that it was not totally unprovoked; more than once (as in the massacre of 1182) the Greeks of Constantinople had treated the Latins there as they were now being treated . . . Historians who wax eloquent and indignant – with considerable reason – about the sack of Constantinople . . . rarely if ever mention the massacre of the westerners in Constantinople in 1182 . . . a nightmarish massacre of thousands [about 2000 Greeks were killed in Constantinople in 1204, according to secular historian Will Durant: The Age of Faith, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1950, p. 605], . . . in which the slaughterers spared neither women nor children, neither old nor sick, neither priest nor monk. Cardinal John, the Pope’s representative, was beheaded and his head was dragged through the streets at the tail of a dog; children were cut out of their mother’s wombs; bodies of dead Westerners were exhumed and abused; some 4,000 who escaped death were sold into slavery to the Turks. (Carroll, ibid., 157, 131)

Bishop Ware also honorably writes about the Orthodox share of the blame in these massacres:

Each . . . must look back at the past with sorrow and repentance. Both sides must in honesty acknowledge that they could and should have done more to prevent the schism. Both sides were guilty of mistakes on the human level. Orthodox, for example, must blame themselves for the pride and contempt with which during the Byzantine period they regarded the west; they must blame themselves for incidents such as the riot of 1182, when many Latin residents at Constantinople were massacred by the Byzantine populace." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/davearmstr...ities.html

Regarding no remarriage after divorce, it was taught in the Council of Florence. Separation, sometimes, but no remarriage: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library...-1445-1461

"The seventh is the sacrament of matrimony, which is a sign of the union of Christ and the church according to the words of the apostle: This sacrament is a great one, but I speak in Christ and in the church. The efficient cause of matrimony is usually mutual consent expressed in words about the present. A threefold good is attributed to matrimony. The first is the procreation and bringing up of children for the worship of God. The second is the mutual faithfulness of the spouses towards each other. The third is the indissolubility of marriage, since it signifies the indivisible union of Christ and the church. Although separation of bed is lawful on account of fornication, it is not lawful to contract another marriage, since the bond of a legitimately contracted marriage is perpetual."
"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your Most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the sufferings of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests ..."

https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/
[-] The following 5 users Like XavierSem's post:
  • Basil3HCm, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, Melkite, newenglandsun, PilgrimMichelangelo
(03-18-2021, 10:03 AM)XavierSem Wrote: Regarding no remarriage after divorce, it was taught in the Council of Florence. Separation, sometimes, but no remarriage: 
So it is wrong for the Orthodox Church to allow remarriage for serious reasons, but it is OK for the Roman Catholic church to allow remarriage for the flimsiest of reasons which were not allowed before 1950?
[-] The following 1 user Likes AlNg777's post:
  • Basil3HCm
(03-20-2021, 12:39 AM)AlNg777 Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:03 AM)XavierSem Wrote: Regarding no remarriage after divorce, it was taught in the Council of Florence. Separation, sometimes, but no remarriage: 
So it is wrong for the Orthodox Church to allow remarriage for serious reasons, but it is OK for the Roman Catholic church to allow remarriage for the flimsiest of reasons which were not allowed before 1950?
Uh oh....This could get interesting....
“But all will be well, and all will be well, and every kind of thing will be well.” ~Julian of Norwich

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • Basil3HCm

What are you even talking about?

The Roman Catholic Church doesn't allow remarriage at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Basil3HCm, Pandora
Quote:What are you even talking about?

Except when they do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PorphyriosK's post:
  • Basil3HCm
(03-20-2021, 03:35 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote:

Except when they do.

wow good one
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Basil3HCm

The RCC doesn't allow remarriage.  It grants annulments which means there was never a valid marriage in the first place.  But I have a feeling you already knew that and posited a purposefully dishonest rhetorical question.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bushum's post:
  • Basil3HCm, jovan66102, PilgrimMichelangelo
(03-21-2021, 06:11 PM)Bushum Wrote:

The RCC doesn't allow remarriage.  It grants annulments which means there was never a valid marriage in the first place.  But I have a feeling you already knew that and posited a purposefully dishonest rhetorical question.
Pure sophistry. The reasoning behind Catholic annulments put into doubt the validity of all marriages. At any time, one party can suddenly claim it never happened, using lawyering and legalisms to justify their desired outcome. It's literally the exact same result as divorce/remarriage, just with a change of language to justify it.
[-] The following 2 users Like PorphyriosK's post:
  • AlNg777, Basil3HCm
(03-20-2021, 04:18 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 03:35 PM)PorphyriosK Wrote:

Except when they do.

wow good one
Lol, you mad?
[-] The following 1 user Likes PorphyriosK's post:
  • Basil3HCm