Tobacco and Alcohol, Puritan beliefs and Gluttony?
Hello everyone,,
I used to smoke like a train before had kids and came back into the Catholic Faith (I was away for awhile). Now I would classify myself as a non-smoker but I still like to enjoy a smoke every once in a while. I have noticed something fairly common among smokers (usually protestants) who know that I am Catholic when I ask them for a smoke they say https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/, "Isn't smoking a sin?" There is this puritan belief out there that having a cigarette is a sin. It was a great way to educate non-Catholics on the sin of gluttony. I have also encountered the same kind of attitude when having a beer around non-Catholics who know me. Has anyone else had any similar encounters such as these and what are your thoughts about this post?
(02-04-2021, 03:29 PM)Firoj Wrote: Hello everyone,,
I used to smoke like a train before had kids and came back into the Catholic Faith (I was away for awhile). Now I would classify myself as a non-smoker but I still like to enjoy a smoke every once in a while. I have noticed something fairly common among smokers (usually protestants) who know that I am Catholic when I ask them for a smoke they say, "Isn't smoking a sin?" There is this puritan belief out there that having a cigarette is a sin. It was a great way to educate non-Catholics on the sin of gluttony. I have also encountered the same kind of attitude when having a beer around non-Catholics who know me. Has anyone else had any similar encounters such as these and what are your thoughts about this post?

Well, it’s clearly bad for your health, so it’s at least a sin against prudence, and perhaps a sin against the Fifth Commandment. That said, to my understanding, smoking Tobacco, in some cases, can be justified, as it can help manage Parkinson’s. As for gluttony, it’s certainly sinful, but (again, to my understanding) only mortally sinful if it became so bad that you lived solely for the purpose of stuffing your gut full of food. With drugs and alcohol, it becomes grave sin when your reason is impaired, e.g. being drunk or high on illicit drugs. With marijuana, you’re dealing with a hallucinogen that scrambles your mind and reason. On the other hand, a small glass of wine or beer can actually be good for you. So, ultimately, I would say the sinfulness exists in the degree to which you willfully damage your health or impair your reason. I imagine that the sinfulness would also need to be reassessed in cases where someone is physiologically addicted to a substance. For instance, an alcoholic who just stops drinking cold turkey can literally die. So, it’s a complex topic. I’d like to hear other opinions.
(02-04-2021, 03:29 PM)Firoj Wrote: Has anyone else had any similar encounters such as these and what are your thoughts about this post?

Yes.  And they've been after coffee for decades.  Jesus said something to the effect that it's not what goes into the mouth but what comes out that defiles a man.  Quoting Mark 7:19, "For from the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false testimonies, blasphemies."  You drink enough to cause you to sin like that, you need to stop and get another hobby.

Edited as an afterthought - and as far those protestants, ah, well... never mind...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matas's post:
  • Pandora
Quote:Well, it’s clearly bad for your health, so it’s at least a sin against prudence, and perhaps a sin against the Fifth Commandment.

Use of tobacco isn't sinful, same as the use of alcohol. The abuse of it is, same as other substances.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 3 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, Pandora, SeeTheLight
Tobacco smoking increases man's contemplative powers.
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
[-] The following 2 users Like Florus's post:
  • MacPasquale, Pandora
(02-05-2021, 10:12 AM)Florus Wrote: Tobacco smoking increases man's contemplative powers.

It also makes him look 71% cooler.

Joking aside, no created good is evil.  Widespread agnosticism and the fear of death in today's world have birthed a cult of health wherein only vegan gym rats will enter the Kingdom of God.  According to this cult, anything that carries the risk of shaving even a few seconds off of the end of one's life is evil.  Don't be influenced by the cult.
🤡 There's no such thing as a Catholic Democra 🤡
[-] The following 2 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Florus, Pandora
(02-05-2021, 10:40 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 10:12 AM)Florus Wrote: Tobacco smoking increases man's contemplative powers.

It also makes him look 71% cooler.

Joking aside, no created good is evil.  Widespread agnosticism and the fear of death in today's world have birthed a cult of health wherein only vegan gym rats will enter the Kingdom of God.  According to this cult, anything that carries the risk of shaving even a few seconds off of the end of one's life is evil.  Don't be influenced by the cult.

You’ve clearly never seen “Mr. Nanny”.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
(02-05-2021, 02:51 PM)FultonFan Wrote: You’ve clearly never seen “Mr. Nanny”.

It is a terrible crime that the Academy snubbed Hulk Hogan that year.
🤡 There's no such thing as a Catholic Democra 🤡
(02-04-2021, 08:14 PM)Matas Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 03:29 PM)Firoj Wrote: Has anyone else had any similar encounters such as these and what are your thoughts about this post?

Yes.  And they've been after coffee for decades.  Jesus said something to the effect that it's not what goes into the mouth but what comes out that defiles a man.  Quoting Mark 7:19, "For from the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false testimonies, blasphemies."  You drink enough to cause you to sin like that, you need to stop and get another hobby

And one of the Bezpopovtsy Raskolnik sects in Russia used that verse to condemn smoking, because the smoke came out of the mouth.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(02-05-2021, 03:17 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 02:51 PM)FultonFan Wrote: You’ve clearly never seen “Mr. Nanny”.

It is a terrible crime that the Academy snubbed Hulk Hogan that year.

It’s terrible, perhaps, but perhaps less terrible than the clip below:

[-] The following 1 user Likes FultonFan's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident