Lenten Accountability Thread.
I gave up crackers. Sounds weak but I really like crackers and since I feed two a day to our pet chicken Artemis I'm a little tempted everyday which increases the ardour.
Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blind Horus's post:
  • JacafamalaRedux
(02-23-2021, 08:26 PM)Eric F Wrote: The absolute hardest thing about the Lenten Fast is dealing with lapsed Catholic family members and friends, who say things to you like "Just because you want to starve yourself, doesn't mean I have to starve too", "but I got two double cheeseburgers and fries for you" "the coffee cakes were on sale today only", "So we're not suppose to have any meals with meat because you're not eating meat". And sadly this comes every year after you announce you will be observing a Lenten Fast.

Haha, just imagine them dressed up in a devils suit with a little red cape and a pitch fork. Might make it easier. 

I gave into despair, threw in the towel. Gave up on giving up. But I'm back on it today.

This sermon is really interesting. The priest explains that Lent constitutes one tenth of the year. In the Old Testament, one tenth is the amount of income God asked the Jews to tithe. So, if you subtract Sundays in Lent, then Lent is a little over one tenth of the year: 40 days.  

Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Here is an Orthodox perspective regarding Lenten practice.

(02-23-2021, 08:26 PM)Eric F Wrote: The absolute hardest thing about the Lenten Fast is dealing with lapsed Catholic family members and friends, who say things to you like "Just because you want to starve yourself, doesn't mean I have to starve too", "but I got two double cheeseburgers and fries for you" "the coffee cakes were on sale today only", "So we're not suppose to have any meals with meat because you're not eating meat". And sadly this comes every year after you announce you will be observing a Lenten Fast.
This reminds me of my mother (not a Catholic). After more than a decade she is still surprised each time I tell her Catholics abstain from meat on Fridays.