Rod Dreher's NeverTrumpism
(02-19-2021, 11:13 PM)Fionnchu Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 10:36 PM)PilgrimMichelangelo find your niche write yourself into the intellectual shallows and stay there because you make lots of money and it\s a familiar space with lots of advertising. Wrote: https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/
I stopped listening to TM about a year ago--he turned petty and predictable (As to his Opus Dei connection mentioned on this thread--can anyone fill us in with more? This is news to me.) One aspect that also discouraged me was his profiteering. One joins his St Thomas Institute online but cannot open the year's worth of videos except one a week. Therefore ensuring one pays for a full year. And no way to archive the content for one's offline study. This kind of niggling calculation seems to be untoward. And like Word on Fire, the cost of materials at some of these sites seems far beyond the pockets of many out there now having to cut back in "uncertain times." Compare with the Thomistic Institute from the Dominicans in Washington DC: quality resources, no begging or dunning, as an intelligently presented array...

TM is meh okay in my book (far sufferable than the Gordo bros).

But beware these philosophers without tenure for they be grifters. The original sophists.

Asking for money to teach you what is public domain.
(02-17-2021, 05:40 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 01:24 PM)austenbosten Wrote: To note I am not and never have been libertarian.  I find it just as idealistic and ineffective as Marxism.

Both of them are based on a false, non-Christian anthropology. They and many other forms of ideology, posit that given the right environment, man is inherently good, thus denying the Fall.

I think most people aren't actually attracted to libertarianism but favor it simply for getting our quite anti-Christian government out of their lives. The phrase "Don't tread on me" probably sold millions on the ideology, despite it not doing a thing about the tyranny of big corporate interests.

What people are getting more attracted to these days is anti-democratic forms of government, probably since the people they elect keep stabbing them in the back. Can't exactly blame them for that.
[-] The following 2 users Like HedgeKnight's post:
  • austenbosten, PilgrimMichelangelo
(02-20-2021, 09:44 PM)HedgeKnight Wrote: I think most people aren't actually attracted to libertarianism but favor it simply for getting our quite anti-Christian government out of their lives. The phrase "Don't tread on me" probably sold millions on the ideology, despite it not doing a thing about the tyranny of big corporate interests.

What people are getting more attracted to these days is anti-democratic forms of government, probably since the people they elect keep stabbing them in the back. Can't exactly blame them for that.

I'm noticing that too. What was labeled almost a decade ago of "The Dark Renaissance" is now showing their fruits as both sides of the spectrum (Left and Right) are becoming disillusioned with the protocols of "democracy" that only seems to enrich oligarchic interests.

I still think "democracy" can function but it's clear the perverse form where everything is down to the Federal elections will need to go away in favor of more local and provincial elections. Which honestly that's how it should be. People should not care so much who is President as much as they care who the governor of their state is, and especially who the mayor is.
(02-20-2021, 10:33 PM)austenbosten Wrote: People should not care so much who is President as much as they care who the governor of their state is, and especially who the mayor is.

Whilst I agree, as one who used to be deeply involved in local politics in a city of ca. 50,000 population, I can guarantee you that it was no less corrupt than Federal politics. My wife ran for office, and she'd tell you the same thing. It was actually an eye-opener. I knew it happened in big cities like the machines in Chicago, Kansas City, and Boston, but I was shocked to find the same thing in a relatively small town in Kansas.

Even the Mafia had their hand in the corruption. If you wanted a license to sell alcohol in a bar, you had to have a pinball machine or two from a certain supplier who was in with the KC Mob. If you didn't have a machine, or if you got them from a different supplier, no license for you!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • PilgrimMichelangelo
(02-21-2021, 12:07 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 10:33 PM)austenbosten Wrote: People should not care so much who is President as much as they care who the governor of their state is, and especially who the mayor is.

Whilst I agree, as one who used to be deeply involved in local politics in a city of ca. 50,000 population, I can guarantee you that it was no less corrupt than Federal politics. My wife ran for office, and she'd tell you the same thing. It was actually an eye-opener. I knew it happened in big cities like the machines in Chicago, Kansas City, and Boston, but I was shocked to find the same thing in a relatively small town in Kansas.

Even the Mafia had their hand in the corruption. If you wanted a license to sell alcohol in a bar, you had to have a pinball machine or two from a certain supplier who was in with the KC Mob. If you didn't have a machine, or if you got them from a different supplier, no license for you!

Oh I know it's corrupt. I've seen it in a city of just 18,000! And we are talking the kind that you would expect in NYC during the Boss Tweed Tammany Hall days, but I guess what I'm saying is there would be more of a chance to clean up corruption if people took more of an interest in local politics than federal.
(02-21-2021, 12:16 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Oh I know it's corrupt.  I've seen it in a city of just 18,000!  And we are talking the kind that you would expect in NYC during the Boss Tweed Tammany Hall days, but I guess what I'm saying is there would be more of a chance to clean up corruption if people took more of an interest in local politics than federal.

There, I totally agree with you! If State and Federal politics are ever going to be straightened out, it has to begin at the precinct, ward, city, and county levels, working up from the bottom.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten
Likewise I have personally known intimately an editor of a local small town (plus or minus 3,600 population) newspaper who vouchsafes that when local school board elections happen a certain candidate received over $10k in donations from the Teamsters Union. Talk about election rigging...sheesh.
"Orthodoxy is not so much a matter of the head. It is something living, and it's of the heart." --Bl. Seraphim of Platina

"Beauty will save the world." --Fyodor Dostoevsky

"You shall know the truth, and it will make you odd." --Flannery O'Connor