"Equality Act"
(02-25-2021, 10:02 PM)Evangelium Wrote: But don't you think that some kind of law is in order to forbid discrimination against homosexuals, even if you think the Equality Act goes too far?

That may very well be, but that is NOT what the Left is trying to do with this bogus 'Equality' Act. What they ARE trying to do is to ram the the LGBTQXYZ∞ agenda down our throats under colour of law.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • antiquarian
(02-25-2021, 10:02 PM)Evangelium Wrote: But don't you think that some kind of law is in order to forbid discrimination against homosexuals, even if you think the Equality Act goes too far?

No.  Only unjust discrimination is wrong, and unjust discrimination mostly never happened.

Refusing legal status to their their blasphemous simulation of marriage is not unjust.

Refusing to bake the cake is not unjust.

Refusing to allow them to adopt children is not unjust.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • Eric F

Why? There's already a law that forbids workplace discrimination, now that the Supreme Court decided 'sex' includes orientation.
If the CCC forbids unjust discrimination, then it must exist in some form.  I would be interested in exploring what unjust discrimination looks like.

So for example, if an employer fired me because he discovered that I am same-sex attracted, should that be proscribed by law?
Paul Wrote:
Evangelium Wrote:But don't you think that some kind of law is in order to forbid discrimination against homosexuals, even if you think the Equality Act goes too far?

Why? There's already a law that forbids workplace discrimination, now that the Supreme Court decided 'sex' includes orientation.

Okay.  Do you support that ruling?
(02-25-2021, 10:16 PM)Evangelium Wrote: If the CCC forbids unjust discrimination, then it must exist in some form.  I would be interested in exploring what unjust discrimination looks like.

So for example, if an employer fired me because he discovered that I am same-sex attracted, should that be proscribed by law?

Potentially.  You can't control deep-seated inclincations.

Should he be able to fire you for acting on them privately?  Probably not.

Should he be able to fire you if you bring a "partner" to the company picnic?  Yes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • jovan66102
(02-25-2021, 10:17 PM)Evangelium Wrote: Okay.  Do you support that ruling?

That doesn't matter, since I don't make the laws. It's the law, whether I like it or not.

But if you want my irrelevant opinion, no, I don't. I don't think the government should dictate to people who they have to hire, and turn every hiring decision into a potential lawsuit. And as we've seen here, these sorts of laws always expand over time. Nobody has a right to a job, and if an employer wants to be a bigot, let the market punish him. Society these days is pretty good at that.

And if we're going to have such laws, which groups are protected should be decided by Congress, who (at least theoretically) represent the people, not added after-the-fact by the Supreme Court. If Congress wants to make sexual orientation a protected class, that's one thing. Interpreting 'sex' to mean 'you can't fire a man for putting his penis in another man's anus, because you wouldn't fire him for doing that to a woman' is ridiculous, and not what Congress had in mind when it passed the law back in the 1960s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • jovan66102
It does matter.  If you're a Catholic, you should be opposed to unjust discrimination against homosexuals.  This should be reflected in how you vote and in contacting your senators and representative.
(02-25-2021, 10:43 PM)Evangelium Wrote: It does matter.  If you're a Catholic, you should be opposed to unjust discrimination against homosexuals.  This should be reflected in how you vote and in contacting your senators and representative.

Legal acceptance of homosexual acts is contrary to probably more than 1900 years of Church teaching.
[-] The following 2 users Like Eric F's post:
  • austenbosten, jovan66102
Since when did the signs of being a Catholic meant I have to be a neo-liberal post-modernist and support some insane law that has no grounding in reality?
[-] The following 2 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • Fontevrault, jovan66102