Where did the idea come from; to paint the Father in Catholicism?
Question 
When it comes to Catholicism; we have paintings of Jesus etc, and that’s okay. But when it comes to Judaism in Exodus 20:4 Adonai his Father said ‘Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above’

Than it got me thinking about Jesus’ sayings like ‘I and the Father are one’ & 
‘He who sees me, sees the Father’ or ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega’ 

...so in some ways We all can agree ‘Like Father Like Son‘, than it makes me wonder would even Jesus himself want us to be painting himself or Especially his Father? 

If as Catholics we respect the Jewish tradition to keep the Tetragrammaton hidden than why aren’t we also respecting not to be painting The Father?

Thank you.
In Orthodoxy, it is forbidden to depict God the Father.
The Gospel is traditional.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Evangelium's post:
  • newenglandsun
(02-22-2021, 11:05 PM)Machabeus Wrote: If as Catholics we respect the Jewish tradition to keep the Tetragrammaton hidden than why aren’t we also respecting not to be painting The Father?

Well, for one, we don't keep the name of God hidden ... so, there's that.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, jovan66102
(02-22-2021, 11:35 PM)Evangelium Wrote: In Orthodoxy, it is forbidden to depict God the Father.

Why should we take our cues from what schismatics do?
[-] The following 4 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident, Ioannes_L, jovan66102, newenglandsun
(02-22-2021, 11:54 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 11:35 PM)Evangelium Wrote: In Orthodoxy, it is forbidden to depict God the Father.

Why should we take our cues from what schismatics do?
Another point is that he technically IS depicted but in such a way that emphasizes his transcendence. You might have seen an icon of, for instance, the Transfiguration? Jesus stands in front of an almond-shaped object with a diamond over it. That's the Father and the Holy Spirit.
https://historyofnewengland.blogspot.com/?m=1
"This guy gets it." Fan mail I've received.
Tetragrammaton. I had to look up that fancy word. Seeing Our Heavenly Father as an old man with a long beard makes him more accessible, don't you think? I like that.

[Image: _Adam_s_Creation_Sistine_Chapel_ceiling_...cut.0.jpeg]
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-22-2021, 11:05 PM)Machabeus Wrote: But when it comes to Judaism in Exodus 20:4 Adonai his Father said ‘Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above’

If you take this line of reasoning to its logical end, then crucifixes are prohibited.
There's no such thing as a Catholic Democrat
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • jovan66102

Nah it actually happens all the time... even on Athos :o
"If your heart comes to feel a natural hatred for sin, it has defeated the causes of sin and freed itself from them. Keep hell’s torments in mind; but know that your Helper is at hand. Do nothing that will grieve Him, but say to Him with tears: ‘Be merciful and deliver me, O Lord, for without Thy help I cannot escape from the hands of my enemies.’ Be attentive to your heart, and He will guard you from all evil."

- St. Isaias the Solitary

"Constant action overcomes cold; being still overcomes heat. Purity
and stillness give the correct law to all under heaven."

- Tao Te Ching 45
I understand why Jews and some Christians prohibit it. It has a tendency to promote an anthropomorphic view of God, which can be problematic. Should we view God the Father as a magical superhuman bearded man in the clouds? I don't think so.

However, as JacafamalaRedux points out, it makes God more accessible. A simple conception of God that most people can relate to, even if it is imperfect. It's the Sunday school conception of God that some Catholics stick with all of their lives, which I suppose is better than not believing at all. Maybe.

Then again, who isn't moved by beautiful Catholic art? I know the paintings of God the Father, the Holy Spirit, and angels aren't literal depictions, but they're inspiring nonetheless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jack89's post:
  • Machabeus
(02-22-2021, 11:05 PM)Machabeus Wrote: When it comes to Catholicism; we have paintings of Jesus etc, and that’s okay. But when it comes to Judaism in Exodus 20:4 Adonai his Father said ‘Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above’

Than it got me thinking about Jesus’ sayings like ‘I and the Father are one’ & 
‘He who sees me, sees the Father’ or ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega’ 

...so in some ways We all can agree ‘Like Father Like Son‘, than it makes me wonder would even Jesus himself want us to be painting himself or Especially his Father? 

If as Catholics we respect the Jewish tradition to keep the Tetragrammaton hidden than why aren’t we also respecting not to be painting The Father?

Thank you.

One thing that is different is that God had not revealed Himself yet to the Jews when that tradition was made. There was no likeness of God that the Jews had as a reference, only the likeness of the gods around them. Once God came to earth in the incarnation, then we had a physical, real, image of God that we could see, touch and feel. After that, we imitated what God did, namely, we imitated the physical nature that God revealed to us in our artwork as a glory to Him for what He revealed to us.
[-] The following 3 users Like Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • jovan66102, karl, Machabeus