Catholic Authors in the Military
The vast majority of military authors I've got are non-Catholic. I'd personally like a change of that. Recommend to me a few Catholic authors that wrote manuals on warfare or memoirs for public distribution even if they don't have to be in English.

As a side note, also important, could you name non-fiction authors and martial artists that are Catholic? Bas Rutten is an example of a martial artist. I simply want to move away from the secular world as much as possible by retreating towards men of faith.

Do you find this a problem or should I get used to it?
Guns of Normandy and Guns of Victory
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jerry Towns's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy
I've been wanting a Catholic book on the more gritty parts of war. Like "can you shoot the wounded guy who's trying to throw a grenade at you" or "can you shoot people while they're retreating" sort of thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gondothlim 2's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy
Try this Catholic bookseller and this title in particular. Leon Gautier's Chivalry. Also, There are some great Catholic authors who write about different wars in Catholic history -  William Thomas Walsh's books - Isabella, and Phillip II. 

https://www.tumblarhouse.com/collections...on-gautier
[-] The following 1 user Likes Texas's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy
(02-24-2021, 08:23 PM)Gondothlim 2 Wrote: I've been wanting a Catholic book on the more gritty parts of war.  Like "can you shoot the wounded guy who's trying to throw a grenade at you" or "can you shoot people while they're retreating" sort of thing.

I, on the other hand, would like a manual on military organization, logistics and tactics. These are easily available to me. But I'd like to push these aside to focus on Catholic authors. If they are not available I'll have to just plow right through the material I've got or give up. Perhaps I can find local manuals here, I live in a Catholic country.

If possible, I'd like old manuals dating from the early 20th century and way back. I stick to the public domain and I do not purchase books online. Yet your recommendations will give me much room for consideration. If it has to be a manual produced in contemporary times, I'd stick with the ones approved for public distribution.

Even manuals written in foreign languages will do.

Say, have you got firearms instructors on video as well? Any firearms. Even muskets of the old kind. What about blacksmiths? For tools, mostly.

I'd like a collection of old non-fiction books in the public domain. I can point you here and there but I wish to ask, are there any Catholic authors there? It is asking much but this is something that will keep me occupied forever.
Leon Gautier's 'Chilvalry' is available on the Internet Archive, and, I would think, in any large library.

https://archive.org/details/chivalry00fr...0/mode/2up
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy
It's also available in Kindle format, with a foreword by Sir Charles Coulombe: https://smile.amazon.com/Chivalry-Everyday-Life-Medieval-Knight-ebook/dp/B018TQ6LMC/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=leon+gautier+chivalry&qid=1614248115&sr=8-1
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dahveed's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy
Say, I wanna ask, on books from the Internet Archive I don't have a problem reading the older books. But when you get much younger authors, say, those after the 1950's I begin to worry about copyright. The thing is, I only read books that have a 'borrow' option to them if they are that recent. That's because I'm in a library, albeit a digital one, and I don't think I'm just getting the book without borrowing it from the library. What's your take on this?

There are certain books I just can't read. I've got to respect the copyright laws first. And for that, I might have to abandon the recent books and instead focus on the older ones. It isn't such a bad thing though.

EDIT: Forget it, I'll figure it out. I might read the ones that I can only borrow though or if they are more or less a century old.
(04-15-2021, 06:13 AM)Mr. Cowboy Wrote: Say, I wanna ask, on books from the Internet Archive I don't have a problem reading the older books. But when you get much younger authors, say, those after the 1950's I begin to worry about copyright. The thing is, I only read books that have a 'borrow' option to them if they are that recent. That's because I'm in a library, albeit a digital one, and I don't think I'm just getting the book without borrowing it from the library. What's your take on this?

There are certain books I just can't read. I've got to respect the copyright laws first. And for that, I might have to abandon the recent books and instead focus on the older ones. It isn't such a bad thing though.

EDIT: Forget it, I'll figure it out. I might read the ones that I can only borrow though or if they are more or less a century old.

Books are a bit different than piracy of games or movies. Unlike those things which are usually just entertainment put on a disc or encoded into a machine, a book's main profit to the author and publishers is in its printing. If they're out of print they're no longer being published and nobody's making money so you don't have to worry about it being theft. Unless there's a specific stipulation by the publisher/author saying they do not condone copies being made I wouldn't be too concerned. If you can't find a physical book printed in the 70's at any nearby bookstore, the publisher's gone out of business and all you can find is a scan of it I can't see why it'd be morally wrong to download it. Knowledge ought to be preserved, especially in these times of digital book burnings.

I've never really had the problem as I usually prefer hard copies. However I used to pirate a lot of older video games. At the time I didn't really mind since they usually weren't being made anymore and most of them ought to be preserved in some fashion. However I can't deny that many of them had copyrights that I couldn't infringe on in good conscience now, not without atleast owning a physical release.
With no king to rule me I owe my fealty only to God.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HedgeKnight's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy
https://hroarr.com/wp-content/uploads/do...n-2016.pdf

Look up fencing manuals of the medieval/renaissance era. Some are written by priests. What you will see is the knitty gritty of fighting, details on not just how to defend but details on the action to do so (if the bashing of pommel to the face is done right, the number of teeth that should be broken kind of thing). This one was a manual on how exactly to train men for battle. Its not the treatise on war as a macro, but more on the micro look at it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sword of St. Michael's post:
  • Mr. Cowboy