Deacon led Adoration
I have a random question that I am planning to ask one of our priests but in the meantime I thought I would throw it out here.  I am part of a group of families that meet at the Catholic parish in our town (It is NO) to pray the rosary on Tuesday nights.  Most of us attend Latin Mass at the FSSP Church (which is a bit further away) but 2 of the families do attend the Church in town.  We initially met in homes but someone suggested we meet in front of the tabernacle and the Pastor is very generous with the space.  Last night, the Deacon of the Church joined us.  He offered to have adoration for us whenever we wanted.  A couple of our families were not comfortable with this idea as they feel that only the priest should be handling the body of our Lord.  We thanked him but have decided to just keep it to the rosary but we are also wondering, is it licit?  Can a Deacon offer adoration?  Does it matter if the Deacon is a permanent Deacon (as this one is) or a transitional Deacon who is preparing to be a priest?  

What say you Fishies?  Thank you!
In the traditional rite, the deacon is the one who does the actual exposition during Solemn adoration, just as in Mass the deacon is the one who moves the Blessed Sacrament to and from the tabernacle.  Why would they object to the deacon doing what is prescribed and commonly done in the traditional rite?

In the new rite (which this deacon presumably is using), it's explicitly stated that deacons can lead Holy Hours, including giving benediction at the end.  Acolytes (like myself) can similarly lead Holy Hours, but cannot give benediction.  It's actually one of the most treasured parts of my ministry. So yes, it's completely licit.

As to your last question about the deacons, it doesn't make a difference between transitional or permanent deacons.  They're both equally deacons with equal sacramental orders and equal permissions to function under Church law.

I think you should take him up on the opportunity; it sounds like a generous offer and an excellent way to grow in Eucharistic devotion.
"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church -- which is, of course, quite a different thing." -Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity." -Fr. John Hardon, S.J.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steven's post:
  • CatholicMamato5, jovan66102, Melkite
Quote:1983 Code Can. 910 §1. The ordinary minister of holy communion is a bishop, presbyter, or deacon.

Which means distributing Holy Communion, which obviously requires handling the Eucharist.

Quote:1917 Code Canon 845, par. 1.. “The ordinary minister of holy communion is only the priest.”

Canon 845. par. 2. “The extraordinary minister of holy communion is the deacon, with permission of the local bishop or the parish priest, only to be granted for a serious reason, which may legitimately be presumed in a case of emergency.”

Even the 1917 Pio-Benedictine Code allowed a Deacon to administer Holy Communion, under restrictions. Thus, I can see nothing wrong with a Deacon handling the Eucharist.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • CatholicMamato5
Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.  It is a very generous offer!  It was also really great of him to come and pray with us.  One of the families asked our parish priest (FSSP) and he said adoration was ok but not benediction.  Thoughts?
I really appreciate the replies.  We are still learning too.
(03-03-2021, 08:02 PM)CatholicMamato5 Wrote: Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.  It is a very generous offer!  It was also really great of him to come and pray with us.  One of the families asked our parish priest (FSSP) and he said adoration was ok but not benediction.  Thoughts?
I really appreciate the replies.  We are still learning too.

Under the 1983 Code, to which we are bound, it says:

Quote:Can. 943 The minister of exposition of the Most Blessed Sacrament and of eucharistic benediction is a priest or deacon; in special circumstances, the minister of exposition and reposition alone without benediction is the acolyte, extraordinary minister of holy communion, or someone else designated by the local ordinary; the prescripts of the diocesan bishop are to be observed.

So, canonically, Father is wrong, as far as I can see. As Steven pointed out, an Acolyte can be the minister of Exposition, but may not bestow the blessing with the Eucharistic Host.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • benedicite, CatholicMamato5