Boxing
Thoughts on the morality of boxing? I know a lot of Catholics boxed before the council and parishes even had their own leagues.
I think it's probably a good idea but it would give me a headache.

"... the lessons he learned from boxing and his father about personal responsibility, managing fear, overcoming resistance, and what is means to be a man." Art of Manliness
Beating the crap out of each other without actually causing serious bodily harm? Count me in.
(03-03-2021, 11:20 AM)clayman03 Wrote: Thoughts on the morality of boxing? I know a lot of Catholics boxed before the council and parishes even had their own leagues.

I think it's probably fine.

Professionals have a serious risk of TBI, but I wouldn't think that amateurs hit hard enough for this to be a risk.
Boxing is a great sport. I used to spar with my father and had great fun. But I'm more concerned about concussions now, so I think in light of the science take it with the risk.
I was just seeing what other people's thoughts were. I've been boxing for around 3 months now and I really enjoy it. I feel stronger, more alert, I have better posture, etc. I just noticed some people seemed to see it as sinful.
(03-04-2021, 10:22 AM)clayman03 Wrote: I was just seeing what other people's thoughts were. I've been boxing for around 3 months now and I really enjoy it. I feel stronger, more alert, I have better posture, etc. I just noticed some people seemed to see it as sinful.
What were their reasons bc that's not the consensus here.
There are the typical things like people its a brutal spectacle of two men beating each other's faces in. There is also the argument that compares boxing to intoxication as it suppresses the faculties, especially logic.
(03-04-2021, 02:07 PM)clayman03 Wrote: There are the typical things like people its a brutal spectacle of two men beating each other's faces in. There is also the argument that compares boxing to intoxication as it suppresses the faculties, especially logic.
Haha Running does the same. As for beating the faces, I mean does wrestling count? What about professional wraslin' where the blows are mocked... Is that sinful?

I'm genuinely curious of those people think that.
I absolutely still love hitting the heavy bag, but have no desire to get hit myself. Too good looking for that, and my Mom if she were here and my girlfriend would sign sworn affidavits to confirm that, after that I might be out of luck.