Boxing
(03-04-2021, 01:38 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Boxing is a great sport.  I used to spar with my father and had great fun.  But I'm more concerned about concussions now, so I think in light of the science take it with the risk.

Boxers need to take the gloves off; they're deadly.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(03-04-2021, 04:50 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Haha Running does the same.  As for beating the faces, I mean does wrestling count?  What about professional wraslin' where the blows are mocked... Is that sinful?

I'm genuinely curious of those people think that.
I think a lot of the hatred for contact sports has to do a lot with the new body cult where anything that may impose slight health defects is evil, things such as smoking, drinking, etc.
[-] The following 2 users Like clayman03's post:
  • austenbosten, ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
(03-05-2021, 06:05 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 01:38 AM)austenbosten Wrote: Boxing is a great sport.  I used to spar with my father and had great fun.  But I'm more concerned about concussions now, so I think in light of the science take it with the risk.

Boxers need to take the gloves off; they're deadly.
Yeah I was thinking heavily padded helmets and light padded gloves. Gloves do prevent nasty cuts and gashes and they do protect the hands to some extent.

Light gloves and a padded helmet with a hardened leather shell would do well to protect the wearer as well as make headshots very painful to the pugilist. It would be my hope that you could greatly reduce concussions (though KOs would probably be greatly reduced as well) and the risk would just be broken hands... Something far less serious.
(03-05-2021, 11:13 AM)clayman03 Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 04:50 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Haha Running does the same.  As for beating the faces, I mean does wrestling count?  What about professional wraslin' where the blows are mocked... Is that sinful?

I'm genuinely curious of those people think that.
I think a lot of the hatred for contact sports has to do a lot with the new body cult where anything that may impose slight health defects is evil, things such as smoking, drinking, etc.
There is a cult of the body. Someone on Twitter pointed out how in the debauched and final days of Greece men became obsessed with their bodies and perfection. They showed a WW1 man in uniform. Physically healthy but in no way a model type and then some average 20yro taking a selfie of his ripped abs.

It's quite effeminate and yet these guys claim it's masculinity. Working out and lifting weights sure, but getting a beach bod and taking selfies... Vain
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • clayman03