Bees
Hi, 

I'm not sure if I have this in the correct category, but just trying to find out if anyone keeps bees.  If so, do you have any good book recommendations?
Pax
(03-04-2021, 05:57 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Hi, 

I'm not sure if I have this in the correct category, but just trying to find out if anyone keeps bees.  If so, do you have any good book recommendations?
Pax

I am not a very successful bee keeper.... I have lost a couple hives but many places offer "bee school?"  If you are considering beekeeping, it is a very good idea to join the local beekeepers group and go to bee school.  The one I went to was once a week - about an hour and a half for maybe 6 weeks?  And beekeepers are a friendly bunch!  They are always happy to come help you, check your hive, and answer questions.

As for books - I have Honey Bee Biology.  (This is very technical and in-depth and is used as a text book at the UMASS sustainable food and farming program's Bee Keeping class).  Beekeeping for Dummies is a good beginner book.  The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro is a really good overall resource.

Best wishes!  I learned that I am not great at beekeeping and I don't love it.  I do however, love what bees do for my garden and I LOVE honey.  A friend that enjoys beekeeping has offered to "keep" my hives this year for half the honey.
I have solitary bees.  They pollinate your garden (I believe something like 100 solitary bees can pollinate a whole orchard alone) are pretty much zero upkeep.  They live in reeds in what looks like a little bird house, and don’t sting, but they also don’t produce honey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pandora's post:
  • ActusFidei313
I took a course in animal psychology
2nd year university
6 weeks learning about bees
fascinating
dances and whatnot
the bees that you see foraging at the flowers
are the end stage bees
mostly the last 2 weeks of life
they get released
to go outside and see the world
(03-05-2021, 11:43 AM)CatholicMamato5 Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 05:57 PM)ActusFidei313 Wrote: Hi, 

Pax

I am not a very successful bee keeper.... I have lost a couple hives but many places offer "bee school?"  If you are considering beekeeping, it is a very good idea to join the local beekeepers group and go to bee school.  The one I went to was once a week - about an hour and a half for maybe 6 weeks?  And beekeepers are a friendly bunch!  They are always happy to come help you, check your hive, and answer questions.

As for books - I have Honey Bee Biology.  (This is very technical and in-depth and is used as a text book at the UMASS sustainable food and farming program's Bee Keeping class).  Beekeeping for Dummies is a good beginner book.  The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro is a really good overall resource.

Best wishes!  I learned that I am not great at beekeeping and I don't love it.  I do however, love what bees do for my garden and I LOVE honey.  A friend that enjoys beekeeping has offered to "keep" my hives this year for half the honey.

Thank you for the wonderful resources.  I never knew there was a bee school.  I'm really intrigued.  

Last year I started a garden and it has been a lot of fun and a great reward.  It's been a gateway to trying new things in the outdoors.  Only problem is that no one in my family wants to help even a little. :(  However, my boys and I got to see exciting natural situations.  For instance, all of the bugs and birds it drew in.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why there were so many wasps around until one afternoon I witnessed one grab a cabbage caterpillar right off of my brasicas!  It drew hummingbirds too which were a pleasure to watch.

Thank you for the info!