Difficulty with the rosary
the rosary is a holy mantra
to allow you to enter into deeply contemplative states
the words of the prayers are not the essence of the rosary
it's a meditative device
(03-09-2021, 09:51 PM)Evangelium Wrote: No, I will continue to pray all five decades.  I pray in a measured way, not rushed.  It takes me exactly half an hour to pray the rosary.  When I hear people say a rosary takes 15 minutes, I really wonder what they're doing.
Are the people saying the Rosary takes 15 minutes used to praying it with others?

I've never been able to say the Rosary under 30 minutes when I'm on my own, but when praying 5 decades in a group it usually takes between 15 and 20 minutes.  I think it could be a mix of people keeping rhythm and the inability of the individual to slow down when they feel necessary.

I don't like recorded Rosaries for that reason.  They're all around 25 minutes and I can't keep up.
(03-06-2021, 03:13 PM)Evangelium Wrote: I experience a strong resistance to praying the rosary.  It takes a pure act of the will to sit down and pray it in the evening.  With God's grace, I manage to pray it every evening.  Does anyone else deal with this?

I have read that St. Therese of Lisieux had an aversion to the rosary.  So I am not in bad company.

I realize that the rosary is not obligatory, but I want to comply with Our Lady's requests and I want the graces that come from praying the rosary.

St. Therese and Bl. Bartolo Longo, pray for us.

i appreciate the honesty, what I find really helps is diving deep into the meditations, I find it before you know it each decade is almost over, I love praying it daily while driving to work, I usually on average get 4 decades done and I sometimes say the 5th at work if it’s quiet or on my way back home. Praying it in the morning I have found wakes up my soul and paints that smile on my face where I bet some of my coworkers wonder ‘my my my isn’t he just happy’. Morning is also good because I have the most patience, and later on there’s just too much to do, prep for the next day, baby life etc. Hope this helps.
(03-09-2021, 09:51 PM)Evangelium Wrote: No, I will continue to pray all five decades.  I pray in a measured way, not rushed.  It takes me exactly half an hour to pray the rosary.  When I hear people say a rosary takes 15 minutes, I really wonder what they're doing.

That's about about how long it takes me (15-20min), I do it in a fast but not rapid speaking pace, any slower and my mind starts to wonder...
The Holy Rosary is the most beautiful and meritorious prayer after Holy Mass, as Our Lady and Lord have said. We should all try to pray 15 decades daily.

I admire those who are able to pray 15 decades straight on their knees. I usually break it up and say different decades through the day walking or sitting.

But it's great to pray them on our knees if we are able. Our Lady told some blessed souls if we do, She will give us remission of sins near the end of our life.

Also, by the Rosary, as St. Montfort teaches, we can win that "never-fading crown of glory" of which the Saints and Scriptures speak, i.e. merits in Heaven.

Our Lady has recommended 15 decades daily to all who can. The Rosary is a most simple, most beautiful and most efficacious way of saving those we love.

St. Montfort relates his own experience about the Power of the Rosary: "I, who write this, have learned from my own experience that the Rosary has the power to convert even the most hardened hearts. I have known people who have gone to missions and who have heard sermons on the most terrifying subjects without being in the least moved; and yet, after they had, on my advice, started to say the Rosary every day they eventually became converted and gave themselves completely to God. When I have gone back again to visit parishes where I have given missions I have seen a tremendous difference in them; in those parishes where people had given up the Rosary they had generally fallen back into their sinful ways again, whereas in places where the Rosary was said faithfully I found the people were persevering in the grace of God and were advancing each day in virtue." http://www.catholictradition.org/Classic...sary39.htm

Some quotes from Our Lady, Saints and holy men and women on the Rosary: https://www.catholicgallery.org/quotes/rosary-quotes-2/

"“One day through the Rosary and the Scapular I will save the world.”
-Blessed Virgin Mary to St. Dominic

“Say the Rosary every day to obtain peace for the world.”
-Our.Lady.of.Fatima, 1917

“No one can live continually in sin and continue to say the Rosary. Either he will give up the sin or he will give up the Rosary”
-Bishop Patrick Boyle

“Those who say the Rosary frequently and fervently will gradually grow in grace and holiness and will enjoy the special protection of Our Lady and the abiding friendship of God.”
-Bishop Hugh Boyle

“The Family that prays together, stays together.”
-Father Patrick Peyton

“If families give Our Lady fifteen minutes a day by reciting the Rosary, I assure them that their homes will become, by God’s grace, peaceful places.
-Father Patrick Peyton

“If our age in its pride laughs at and rejects Our Lady’s Rosary, a countless legion of the most saintly men of every age and of every condition have not only held it most dear and have most piously recited it but have also used it at all times as a most powerful weapon to overcome the devil, to preserve the purity of their lives, to acquire virtue more zealously, in a word, to promote peace among men.”
-Pope Pius XI

“The greatest method of praying is to pray the Rosary.” .
-St. Francis de Sales

“If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I assure you that in spite of the gravity of your sins, you shall receive a never-fading crown of glory. Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in Hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practice black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if and mark well what I say — if you say the Holy Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon of your sins.”
-St. Louis de Montfort

“Those who say the Rosary daily and wear the Brown Scapular and who do a little more, will go straight to Heaven.”
-St. Alphonsus Ligouri

“Among all the devotions approved by the Church none has been favored by so many miracles as the devotion of the most Holy Rosary. ”
-Pope Pius IX"
Rosary Crusade to end Abortion: https://rosarycrusadingarmytoendabortion.home.blog/

"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your Most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices ... https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/
[-] The following 1 user Likes XavierSem's post:
  • Machabeus
(03-06-2021, 05:13 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: Oh! Also, have you ever tried praying the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary?  While the Rosary is wonderful for meditating on the Mysteries of the Faith, perhaps it's not the Marian devotion best suited for you.

i have heard of it, now that you mention it; I gotta look into it!, what can you tell me about it, compared to the rosary?
The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is an extremely simplified and shortened version of the Divine Office with a small selection of psalms. I find it to be too simple and repetitive for my own prayer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Evangelium's post:
  • Machabeus

I’m exactly the same way, 5 Decades or nothing, except there is no nothing. I also wondered the same thing; 30min in my opinion is standard because you think about what your saying. Which is what prayer is.
(03-11-2021, 07:44 PM)Machabeus Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 05:13 PM)MacPasquale Wrote: Oh! Also, have you ever tried praying the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary?  While the Rosary is wonderful for meditating on the Mysteries of the Faith, perhaps it's not the Marian devotion best suited for you.

i have heard of it, now that you mention it; I gotta look into it!, what can you tell me about it, compared to the rosary?
Evangelium summed it up.  I suggested it as an alternative because it is a Marian devotion with a connection to the psalms(I personally prefer the Rosary and whatever I can get in of the Divine Office).
[-] The following 1 user Likes MacPasquale's post:
  • Machabeus
(03-11-2021, 11:09 PM)Machabeus Wrote: I’m exactly the same way, 5 Decades or nothing, except there is no nothing. I also wondered the same thing; 30min in my opinion is standard because you think about what your saying. Which is what prayer is.
Man, I wish that was the reason it takes me a half hour.

I always end up having to re-pray entire decades because I distracted with what I'm going to do after the Rosary.
[-] The following 2 users Like MacPasquale's post:
  • jack89, Machabeus