A Priest’s Moral Analysis of Vaccines
(03-11-2021, 12:20 PM)Jerry Towns Wrote: It's definitely copyright infringement.  Copying and pasting from free web sites is not fair use.  Especially when the bottom of the copied webpage has the following:  2021 Clean Out Your Eyes All Rights Reserved

(03-11-2021, 12:23 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 11:42 AM)SeekerofChrist Wrote: However, posting a short article that is freely available online, along with the link to the original source, probably isn't copyright infringement.

Duplicating the entire article does not fall under fair use.  Posting a summary or excerpt would.

The answer isn't so clear cut, and use of whole works can, sometimes, fall under fair use.  From the US Copyright Office:

Quote:Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole: Under this factor, courts look at both the quantity and quality of the copyrighted material that was used. If the use includes a large portion of the copyrighted work, fair use is less likely to be found; if the use employs only a small amount of copyrighted material, fair use is more likely. That said, some courts have found use of an entire work to be fair under certain circumstances. And in other contexts, using even a small amount of a copyrighted work was determined not to be fair because the selection was an important part—or the “heart”—of the work.

Source: https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/index.html

There are way too many factors that are used in determining whether something falls under the fair use doctrine to accuse J Michael of copyright infringement.  I don't recommend posting whole articles like this but Jerry Towns' assertion that it is definitely copyright infringement doesn't reflect actual US case law.  To be frank, I seriously doubt that a judge would rule that posting the whole article to a small Internet forum for presumably educational purposes would, at the end of the day, be civil copyright infringement.  That's a guess on my part, of course, and no doubt you'll both disagree with me.  But I'm not seeing what you both seem to find here.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists."
- Pope St. Pius X

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."
- 2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Therefore God shall send them the operation of error, to believe lying: That all may be judged who have not believed the truth, but have consented to iniquity."
- 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Priest’s Moral Analysis of Vaccines - by SeekerofChrist - 03-11-2021, 12:52 PM