GUNZ
Two black powder revolvers, one of which almost certainly didn't work when it was lost.

Incredibly, owning non-cartridge black powder guns (and ammunition) doesn't require any form of license in Sweden, provided they were made before 1890. Those license free guns, if they are shootable, cost a fortune here.
(05-10-2021, 08:33 PM)Bonaventure Wrote: After about four dozen patches with the Sweets, I switched to JB Bore Paste and Shooter's Choice bore cleaner.  I'm finally at the last stage where I'm just letting some Kroil soak before hitting it with a brush, and repeating.

Hopefully I'll turn this into a shooter yet.

I have a rifle that is a copper mine like yours.  The bore was pretty dark too.  After a buhzillion blue patches I resorted to a reverse-electrolysis method to pull the copper out. The bore was still dark after all that. Shoots just 'OK' but .308 is so expensive now I never waste .308 on that gun anymore.

How is the crown and how bad is the muzzle erosion on your gun?  A new barrel might be the thing to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matas's post:
  • SeeTheLight
@bonaventure

I love sweets and yeah that's a ton of copper fouling and use it quite a bit as I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets. Keep working on it you got this.
"The Eucharist is the Sacrament of Love; it signifies love, It produces love. The Eucharist is the consummation of the whole spiritual life." -St. Thomas Aquinas

“To be tempted is a sign that the soul is very pleasing to the Lord.” St. Padre Pio
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeeTheLight's post:
  • Bonaventure
(05-12-2021, 07:57 PM)Matas Wrote: How is the crown and how bad is the muzzle erosion on your gun?  A new barrel might be the thing to do.

Crown looks good, but there does appear to be a bit of "muzzle wear."  I don't have the gauges, but doing the unofficial "bullet test" (i.e., taking a M2 ball cartridge and dropping the bullet end into the muzzle to see how far it goes down) shows that there is at least some life left in it.

I could rebarrel, but not sure if this rifle really is a candidate for it.  Unless I could find a N.O.S. Rem barrel stamped sometime in 1941.  This is an early production Rem 1903; the serial number is in the 3,002,xxx range, making it one of the very early one's made.  From this article:

Quote:The U.S. Ordnance Department immediately contracted with Remington for M1903 rifles in order to arm the rapidly expanding U.S. armed forces. The U.S. government ordered 134,000 M1903s from Remington the same day that the British contracts were canceled. By this time, Remington was ready to go into limited production of M1903s. The firm was assigned the serial number block of “3,000,000 to 3,599,999” for its initial production. Ten “trial production” M1903 rifles were produced soon after the contract was granted, and the first 1,273 production rifles were delivered in November 1941. These were initially to have been given the “M1903A1” designation, which would have required full pistol-grip (“Type C”) stocks. However, the large supply of stock blanks acquired by Remington were primarily suited for fabrication of the straight-grip type of stock, so the M1903 nomenclature was not changed. Interestingly, some internal Remington documents during this period refer to the rifles as “M1903 Modified.”

As such, I'd like to keep it in its present configuration.  Besides, I've got several other 1903/1903A3's to shoot if this one pans out.
Finally some good news to report.  Walked in to the LGS today, and they had some powder!

It's been well over a year since I've purchased any powder, so I stocked up with a few pounds to tinker with.  I'm hoping that this is a sign that other components will be becoming available soon as well.

[Image: Powder.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • SeeTheLight