GUNZ
(03-22-2021, 04:08 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Not a moment too soon.  I was running low on .50 BMG API-T rounds

Not me.

Grin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
(03-22-2021, 04:21 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 04:10 PM)Filiolus Wrote: A few months ago .40 was easier to find than 9mm, but that is no longer the case, as I'm starting to see 9mm around. Hopefully that's a sign that production is catching up to demand.

Not in these parts. Shelves still be bare.

[Image: Dealz.jpg]

Is that a Farm and Home Supply?
(03-22-2021, 04:21 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 04:10 PM)Filiolus Wrote: A few months ago .40 was easier to find than 9mm, but that is no longer the case, as I'm starting to see 9mm around. Hopefully that's a sign that production is catching up to demand.

Not in these parts. Shelves still be bare.

[Image: Dealz.jpg]

The big box stores are always empty, but the mom and pop stores usually have a small stock. That's where I've been seeing 9mm pretty consistently, and where I found .357 mag, which otherwise has been pretty scarce.
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
Yeah my local gun shop has nothing for . 45 or 5.56/.223
(03-20-2021, 05:05 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Yep, I ain't no Fudd.  They are the ones that buy up ammo and hoard surplus arms and is the reason nobody can get into the hobby (kinda like car collecting) where ---I'm sorry to pick on people--- "Boomers" overprice everything because the '57 Chevy or M1 Garand isn't a car or gun that should be driven or shot, but should only be at car shows and gun shows and if someone wants to buy it then overprice it to make "a profit" because a hobby isn't an expense but some sort of business venture.

Re: the  M1 Garand, it was the last U.S. general issue rifle to later be offered as "surplus."  Every USGI rifle after the M1 Garand (e.g., M14 / M16 / M4) has not been allowed to be purchased as surplus (but sometimes as parts kits sans receiver/lower).  In that regard, barring foreign rifles, the supply on U.S. surplus is ever dwindling.  The last year that M1 Garands were even made was 1957.  That being said, one can still get a surplus M1 Garand through the CMP.  For $750 you will get a nice functioning rifle.  And they're still available.  But not forever. Can't blame a "Boomer" if you don't take advantage of the CMP.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

As to all other surplus rifles, and given recent import bans on just about anything surplus firearm related, they are in even shorter supply.  So, when you get more buyers (demand) than there is quantity (supply), of course the price is going to go up.

As for gun shows... I don't think I've ever made a firearms purchase at one. One will usually only find overpriced garbage at such shows--at least in my neck of the woods; can't speak for yours.

That being said... prior to Covid, there was never a better time to be picking up AR's and ammo. As they say, snooze you lose. Or.... buy it cheap and stack it deep.
(03-23-2021, 10:11 AM)Bonaventure Wrote: Can't blame a "Boomer" if you don't take advantage of the CMP.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

As to all other surplus rifles, and given recent import bans on just about anything surplus firearm related, they are in even shorter supply.  So, when you get more buyers (demand) than there is quantity (supply), of course the price is going to go up.

As for gun shows... I don't think I've ever made a firearms purchase at one. One will usually only find overpriced garbage at such shows--at least in my neck of the woods; can't speak for yours.
I guess that's my complaint is that gun shows are primarily for people to buy, sell, and trade guns and you see garbage being sold at ridiculous prices.

I can blame Boomers for that because you see it in the collector car hobby as well. The gripe of millennials and xers is that the entrance is difficult because people overprice their products because they paid for something and feel as though they need to make a profit and thus overprice their shitty garands or corvettes. You don't get into hobbies to make money and this profit motive is what's hurting it.

I also don't like the "buy cheap, stack deep" mentality either because that's why we are in this mess. People buying 1000rds of ammo when they only get out to the range maybe once or twice a year to shoot off a couple mags. It's stupid and it hurts those who enjoy the hobby.

Again this profit motive is hurting the hobby and it's the reason car collecting is kinda a dying hobby bc why get into it if you cannot afford it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Filiolus
(03-23-2021, 12:36 PM)austenbosten Wrote: I also don't like the "buy cheap, stack deep" mentality either because that's why we are in this mess. 

No, it's not.

As I said, pre-Covid, it was probably the best time for buying AR's and ammo for it.  People "buying it cheap and stacking it deep" back then contributed --ZERO-- to the present crisis.  I remember just two years ago there were some local guys selling .223 in bulk and couldn't give it away for more than $200/1000.  Nobody wanted it.  So if I had the presence of mind to purchase some of this, it's now my fault for the present crisis?  Hardly.

More important, do you think these ammo industries exist for your pleasure? Who do you think supports these industries in non-panic times?  People buying a box of 20 rounds per year?  Again, no.  Even a year ago, when Covid first started rearing its ugly head, it wasn't the "buy it cheap and stack it deep" crowd that began the ammo run... it was a bunch of people, caught flat-footed, who had not in the least prepared themselves, and this is what began the panic.  And this is what continues the panic. 

In the past twelve months, I've done something I haven't done for nearly the past decade: Not purchase a firearm and/or a single round of ammo.  Availability and pricing are just absolutely ridiculous.  But the writing was on the wall, going back as far as Sandy Hook, and those in the know knew to prepare for times like these. 

All of this talk of gunz-n-ammo has made me thirsty for some range time.  I think I'm going to head out there now and shoot up about a 100 rounds each in three different calibers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
Boom Stick 1776, MSRP $200:

https://twitter.com/northexpedition/stat...1581754369
(03-23-2021, 05:49 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Boom Stick 1776, MSRP $200:

Damn what a racket that could be. Make a hundred shit backyard guns for $50 and get $200 in the buyback.

$15,000 easy payout.

Im off to Home Depot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
(03-23-2021, 05:49 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: Boom Stick 1776, MSRP $200:

^--- I'd normally laugh but, once again, it's the taxpayer who ultimately foots the bill.