GUNZ
(04-07-2021, 12:43 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 12:43 PM)Zedta Wrote: I sportized my Springfield to make it lighter.

Blasphemy!
Ya, I know, but I am not a 'collector' and was more interested in function than fashion.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
(04-07-2021, 12:51 PM)Zedta Wrote: Ya, I know, but I am not a 'collector' and was more interested in function than fashion.

Fashion, you say?

[Image: gold-tommy.jpg]
Do you guys have experience selling used guns? What's the best way to make sure you get what the gun is worth?
Dissolve frigus ligna super foco
large reponens atque benignius
     deprome quadrimum Sabina,
          O Thaliarche, merum diota.

Permitte divis cetera...
(04-24-2021, 05:53 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Do you guys have experience selling used guns? What's the best way to make sure you get what the gun is worth?

A gun is worth to you what it's worth to you. If you're unfamiliar with it and/or its value, there simply isn't any easy answer. You could try using the Blue Book of Gun Values, but this is only a rough guide, as condition/type/age/availability of the firearm all play into the final sale.

Or... throw it up on GunBroker.com as an auction. The free market will eventually tell you what it's worth (at least to whomever the highest bidder is).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
(04-24-2021, 07:48 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 05:53 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Do you guys have experience selling used guns? What's the best way to make sure you get what the gun is worth?

A gun is worth to you what it's worth to you.  If you're unfamiliar with it and/or its value, there simply isn't any easy answer.  You could try using the Blue Book of Gun Values, but this is only a rough guide, as condition/type/age/availability of the firearm all play into the final sale.

Or... throw it up on GunBroker.com as an auction.  The free market will eventually tell you what it's worth (at least to whomever the highest bidder is).

Well, I know what I paid for it in 2014. I'm not seeing many for sale online, but the used one I saw was going for more than double what I paid back then. Just didn't know if there was a good way to see if that was that actual value nowadays.

Permitte divis cetera...
(04-24-2021, 08:08 PM)Filiolus Wrote: ...the used one I saw was going for more than double what I paid back then.

Asking?  Or sold-at price?  Those are two entirely different things. I see a lot of ads where the "asking price" is extremely high, and strangely, they never seem to sell.  Further, if an item does sell, one has no idea what the actual sale price was; the seller could have easily come down in the asking price. 

(04-24-2021, 08:08 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Well, I know what I paid for it in 2014.

2014 wasn't that long ago.  Sounds like you're just trying to maximize return in the present seller's market.

There's a gun forum I visit from time to time.  Posting a "what's my gun worth" thread is strictly prohibited as without being able to see an item in person, an injustice can be done to either the buyer or seller by stating a value.
(04-25-2021, 09:21 AM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 08:08 PM)Filiolus Wrote: ...the used one I saw was going for more than double what I paid back then.

Asking?  Or sold-at price?  Those are two entirely different things. I see a lot of ads where the "asking price" is extremely high, and strangely, they never seem to sell.  Further, if an item does sell, one has no idea what the actual sale price was; the seller could have easily come down in the asking price. 

(04-24-2021, 08:08 PM)Filiolus Wrote: Well, I know what I paid for it in 2014.

2014 wasn't that long ago.  Sounds like you're just trying to maximize return in the present seller's market.

There's a gun forum I visit from time to time.  Posting a "what's my gun worth" thread is strictly prohibited as without being able to see an item in person, an injustice can be done to either the buyer or seller by stating a value.

I do want the best price I can get, because my goal is to trade up, not just to sell it.

Permitte divis cetera...
(04-25-2021, 11:18 AM)Filiolus Wrote: I do want the best price I can get, because my goal is to trade up, not just to sell it.

2014 is not so recent that you can't expect to get back whatever you spent on your gun, if not also a little profit.

But here's the rub:

1.  What is the gun?
2.  What condition is it in?

If you want to sell your High Point 9mm handgun, well.... good luck.

If you have an M1 Garand to sell, you can expect a profit.

Clean and detail your firearm to the best of your ability, and take it to a gun auction place.  A reputable shop will evaluate what you got and give you a straight answer.  There's a bunch online that have physical locations that you can visit.  Maybe you are lucky enough to live near one.  You can try Gunrunner Auctions or Simpsons.  They charge a premium for selling your gun for you, but that's fair for a hassle free experience.

Otherwise, you can try and sell your gun on Gun Broker, or take it to a gun show and walk around with it while everyone tries to low ball you.  

Finally - what are you looking to sell?
(04-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Bonaventure Wrote: Earlier I had stated that I hadn't purchased any firearms in the past year.  But then your post above reminded me that I did buy a 1903 last summer... completely forgot about it.  It's taken apart at the moment as I'm in the process of refinishing the stock, but it's an early Remington from 1941. 
[Image: Rem1903.jpg]

Got this rifle assembled and out to the range this weekend.  Thought I had cleaned the bore last Fall.  Apparently not.  Couldn't get this rifle to group at all.  At 100 yards, it was shooting about 8 MOA!  Not good.  So, took it home, and started on the bore.  If anyone here has used Sweets 7.62 Solvent before, you'll know that it goes after copper fouling, and the clear Sweets liquid turns bluish upon interacting with any copper in the bore.  Now, while I've cleaned out some old milsurp rifles that hadn't been shown a lot of love, this rifle is up there with the amount of copper fouling! 

Take a look at how blue this white patch came out:

[Image: 1903-Blue.jpg]

After about four dozen patches with the Sweets, I switched to JB Bore Paste and Shooter's Choice bore cleaner.  I'm finally at the last stage where I'm just letting some Kroil soak before hitting it with a brush, and repeating.

Hopefully I'll turn this into a shooter yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident
A Glock 43 and a Mossberg 500.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.