George Weigel on the St Peter's Mass Ban
(03-24-2021, 02:59 PM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 02:45 PM)IudicaMe Wrote: Yes, avoiding your local Novus Ordo was part of my comment. My point, however, is that won't close the local Novus Ordo parish with Father Gay and the Travelling Altar Girls. It will stay open for a long time, and will have the benefit of establishment support. 

I don't have any numerical evidence, but subjectively and from personal experience, I see a very small number of cars at the Novus Ordo parishes that we pass every Sunday while we drive 20 miles to our TLM parish.  And our small TLM parish has added dozens of families over the past year.

My understanding is that the majority of the USCCB's budget comes from the US Government.  That support would probably dry up if they stopped providing cover for the Democrat party by muddying the water on moral issues.  But at some point, they'll have to choose between that support and the support of all the people who have migrated or stopped contributing.

(03-24-2021, 02:45 PM)IudicaMe Wrote: Again, my point is: who cares what they're doing in Rome?

It's news like any other news.  What China is doing to the Uighurs also has no effect on my personal life, but I wouldn't say there's no value in knowing it.

Knowing it and discussing it ad nauseam, along with every small development that occurs pertaining to it, are two separate things. But since you brought it up: what is the value in known it?
"O Charles the Great, we beseech you to make that day arrive soon when society, re-established at its foundations, will cease asking liberty and order from the revolutions."
Prayer to Charlemagne the Great (de confirmatione cultus), by Dom Prosper Guéranger
Quote:Knowing it and discussing it ad nauseam, along with every small development that occurs pertaining to it, are two separate things. But since you brought it up: what is the value in known it?

Knowing how to direct one's prayers comes to mind. 

Knowing not to waste time going to Rome to hear Mass at St. Peter's comes to mind as well.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 3 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • HailGilbert, jovan66102, PilgrimMichelangelo
(03-24-2021, 03:31 PM)IudicaMe Wrote: Knowing it and discussing it ad nauseam, along with every small development that occurs pertaining to it, are two separate things. But since you brought it up: what is the value in known it?

I'd say the value of knowing about current events is the same as the value of knowing about any other subset of history: to understand the motivations of the actors and to understand broader trends.

Like history, it's not immediately actionable for virtually all of us, but that doesn't mean the knowledge is worthless.
[-] The following 2 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • HailGilbert, jovan66102
Well there is certainly a reasonable element of interest that can be accepted; what I'm referring to is the near-obsession that I see so often with current events, news, and scandal. This is sloth when it impacts on one's responsibilities-- and it often does.

What is more galling, however, is the host of self-proclaimed journalists who "interpret" and "analyze" the current events of the day which really amounts to shrieking bloody murder every time some small development occurs. It is unhealthy for them and it is most certainly unhealthy for their readers.
"O Charles the Great, we beseech you to make that day arrive soon when society, re-established at its foundations, will cease asking liberty and order from the revolutions."
Prayer to Charlemagne the Great (de confirmatione cultus), by Dom Prosper Guéranger