Ember Days and Pumpkin Bread!
Re-reading the ember days page on the website got me all into thinking about after the fast, making some pumpkin bread! *aaaahhhh, I can smell it now!* So, I thought I'd share my recipe for what I (and everyone else I've shared it with) think is THE BEST pumpkin bread EVER! :) This is from an old Christmas Betty Crocker cookbook I've had for ages, to which I've added my own little "tweaks". Hope some of you will try it and love it as much as my family and friends and I do!

Pumpkin Date Nut Bread

2½ cups sugar                       1½ teaspoons salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil               1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs                                  1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin            ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup water                        ½ teaspoon baking powder 
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour      ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons baking soda          ½ cup cut-up dates

Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 9x5x3 inches, or 3 loaf pans, 8½x4½x2½. Mix sugar, oil, eggs, pumpkin and water in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pans. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes; cool slightly. Loosen sides of loaves from pans (use a thin sharp knife); remove from pans. Cool completely before slicing. To store, wrap and refrigerate no longer than 10 days. (These freeze very well also, for several months.)

This is so easy and soooo good! You can use fresh pumpkin from your garden if you have it, even better! I have also used 8 small foil pans, which make wonderful small gifts for individual servings!! (The regular size loaves make great gifts for families too.) Just wrap them in colored cellophane and tie with a pretty ribbon. (The men I have given the small ones to (co-workers)just open them and eat them right outa their fist! They don't need no stinkin' knife for a silly lady-like "slice" with a smattering of butter! Sheesh, what was I thinking?)

-Robin

sounds yummy! [Image: gimmefood.gif]
Mmmmmmmmm. My family loves pumpkin bread. Another way to bake it is in a Bundt pan. Two loaves = one bundt and then you can put decorations or whip cream or whatever in the middle. :)

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
That sounds quite good.  It's definitely the pumpkin time of year.  I may have to take up baking again :-)

The Ember Days are one of my favorite Catholic observances.  Of course, VII reforms got rid of them.

mattc Wrote:The Ember Days are one of my favorite Catholic observances. Of course, VII reforms got rid of them.

Actually, they didn't. The Rubrics for the NO instruct the bishops to celebrate Ember Days, although the precise dates can be adapted to local use. Apparently, in the United States, the appropriate time for penance and thanksgiving is never (although Thanksgiving is on the Calendar).
Yummy! I love pumpkin! I made this today, and put the whole thing in a big tube pan. It was sooooo good (I ate too much LOL)! Thanks for the recipe, Robin! :)
mmmm! me too, Marisa! (love pumpkin that is...pies, cookies, breads, scones...!!!) glad you liked the recipe. I think it's the best! I've not tried it in the bundt or tube pan yet...does that change the texture at all? When the grocery store I shop has chopped dates, I buy those, otherwise, I use scissors dipped in water every so many dates, and just snip-snip-snip the whole ones, then shake them in just a little sugar to separate them. Also, when I've taken this to various pot-lucks or what have you, I'll cut the pumpkin bread into good size cubes for "finger food" and dust them lightly with a shake of powdered sugar. They disappear FAST! :)
-Robin