Refutation of Ubi Petrus
We traditional Catholics should never be swerved by anti-Papal polemicists. They do great harm to the Rock on which Christ Jesus built His Holy Church.

The Council of Chalcedon is the best refutation of all anti-Papal schismatics. True it is that many are ignorant of the Papacy in good faith, however, obstinate attackers of the Papacy can hardly be presumed to be in invincible ignorance anymore. Their ignorance becomes culpable the more they are aware. Attacking the Papacy is a sin against God.

From: http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/a35.htm

Similarly, the Acts of the Council of Chalcedon, speak of Leo, saying...
Quote:"Wherefore the most holy and blessed Leo, archbishop of the great and elder Rome, through us, and through this present most holy synod together with the thrice-blessed and all-glorious Peter the Apostle, who is the Rock and foundation of the Catholic Church, and the foundation of the orthodox faith, hath stripped him (Dioscorus, Bishop of Alexandria) of his episcopate, and hath alienated from him all hieratic worthiness." -- Acts of Chalcedon, Session 3
In the same way, upon concluding their synod, the Council fathers write to Pope Leo, saying...
Quote:You are set as an interpreter to all of the voice of blessed Peter, and to all you impart the blessings of that Faith. -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo, Ep 98
For if where two or three are gathered together in His name He has said that there He is in the midst of them, must He not have been much more particularly present with 520 priests, who preferred the spread of knowledge concerning Him ...Of whom you were Chief, as Head to the members, showing your good will. -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo (Repletum est Gaudio), November 451
Besides all this, he (Dioscorus) extended his fury even against him who had been charged with the custody of the vine by the Savior. We refer to Your Holiness. -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo, Ep 98
You have often extended your Apostolic radiance even to the Church of Constantinople. -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo, Ep 98
Knowing that every success of the children rebounds to the parents, we therefore beg you to honor our decision by your assent, and as we have yielded agreement to the Head in noble things, so may the Head also fulfill what is fitting for the children. -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo, Ep 98
So, the Council of Chalcedon clearly recognized Pope Leo as the successor of Peter and the Head of the Church. However, the Council did have one problem. One of its canons, Canon 28, had given Constantinople primacy in the East. The Canon read:
Quote:"...we do also enact and decree the same things concerning the privileges of the most holy Church of Constantinople, which is New Rome. For the Fathers rightly granted privileges to the throne of old Rome, because it was the royal city. And the one hundred fifty most religious Bishops gave equal privileges to the most holy throne of New Rome, justly judging that the city is honored with the Sovereignty and the Senate and enjoys equal privileges with the old imperial Rome...." (Canon 28, Chalcedon)
However, Pope Leo refused to agree to this canon; and employing a kind of "line item veto," ordered it struck from the Council documents. In this, Bishop Anatolius of Constantinople writes to Pope Leo, apologizing and explaining how the canon came to be, saying ...
Quote:As for those things which the universal Council of Chalcedon recently ordained in favor of the church of Constantinople, let Your Holiness be sure that there was no fault in me, who from my youth have always loved peace and quiet, keeping myself in humility. It was the most reverend clergy of the church of Constantinople who were eager about it, and they were equally supported by the most reverend priests of those parts, who agreed about it. Even so, the whole force of confirmation of the acts was reserved for the authority of Your Blessedness. Therefore, let Your Holiness know for certain that I did nothing to further the matter, knowing always that I held myself bound to avoid the lusts of pride and covetousness. -- Patriarch Anatolius of Constantinople to Pope Leo, Ep 132 (on the subject of canon 28 of Chalcedon).
So, the matter was settled; and, for the next 6 centuries, all Eastern churches speak of only 27 canons of Chalcedon -- the 28th Canon being rendered null and void by Rome's "line item veto." This is supported by all the Greek historians, such as Theodore the Lector (writing in 551 AD), John Skolastikas (writing in 550 AD), Dionysius Exegius (also around 550 AD); and by Roman Popes like Pope St. Gelasius (c. 495) and Pope Symmachus (c. 500) -- all of whom speak of only 27 Canons of Chalcedon."
Rosary Crusade to end Abortion: https://rosarycrusadingarmytoendabortion.home.blog/

"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your Most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices ... https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/
[-] The following 1 user Likes XavierSem's post:
  • PilgrimMichelangelo

Messages In This Thread
Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by StJosephPrayForUs - 03-31-2021, 10:01 PM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by jovan66102 - 03-31-2021, 10:10 PM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by jovan66102 - 03-31-2021, 10:14 PM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by SeekerofChrist - 03-31-2021, 10:52 PM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by Justin Tertius - 04-01-2021, 02:18 AM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by Melkite - 04-01-2021, 09:47 AM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by Justin Tertius - 04-01-2021, 11:18 AM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by Justin Tertius - 04-01-2021, 11:41 AM
RE: Refutation of Ubi Petrus - by SeekerofChrist - 04-01-2021, 01:20 PM