How This Crisis Ends
Isn't the ordinary and universal magisterium infallible?  Even if infallibility has not been expressly invoked to support these "errors," don't they become infallible and irreformable if taught by the pope and all the bishops in communion with him?

So your statement in the article that it's a good thing that infallibility hasn't been invoked does not hold up.
(04-05-2021, 03:59 PM)Evangelium Wrote: Isn't the ordinary and universal magisterium infallible?  Even if infallibility has not been expressly invoked to support these "errors," don't they become infallible and irreformable if taught by the pope and all the bishops in communion with him?

Some of the statements in Vatican 2 regard other religions.

Infallibility concerns faith and morals.  Because all other religions are false (and therefore not related to the faith or to morals), the only infallible statement that could be made is one affirming their falseness.

Making an infallible statement about the particulars of mohammedanism would be like making an infallible statement about baseball.
Then according to your logic this proposition could not be condemned as an error, either.

I disagree.
(04-05-2021, 04:14 PM)Evangelium Wrote: Then according to your logic this proposition could not be condemned as an error, either.

I disagree.

What proposition?
From Vatican II, about other religions.
(04-05-2021, 04:18 PM)Evangelium Wrote: From Vatican II, about other religions.

Why couldn't a non-infallible statement be condemned as error?

Does a statement have to be called "infallible" to be condemned?
You're the one saying it is like baseball, having nothing to do with faith or morals.  That's what I'm responding to.
(04-05-2021, 04:21 PM)Evangelium Wrote: You're the one saying it is like baseball, having nothing to do with faith or morals.  That's what I'm responding to.

What does mohammedanism have to do with Catholic faith or Catholic morals?
It has to do with the tolerance toward other religions.  According to your logic, this could not even be condemned because it is like baseball.
My question is what precisely was wrong with how the Church handled other religions before Vatican II?
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4